American suspected of shoplifting Goats Cheese from North Pattaya Supermarket

webfact

Most Thais seem to get let off with a slap on the hand, and a 500 baht fine, even for serious offense like assault, and armed robbery.

This statement is, of course, completely untrue.

Some people in any country get initially charged with a serious offense that is then reduced to a much lesser offense and end up with a small fine. Some people get charged with murder and end up walking away free when the charges are dropped, but that does not mean the sentencing is improper.

Thailand has sentencing that is similar to many European countries for offenses other then drugs.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on TV members! You can do better than this!

Surely, for this kind offence only the death penalty will do.

Sure we can do better. We can even spin it around. I'm surprised it hasn't been said before: At ฿210 for what looks like 200g of goat's cheese, Mr. Janalik should be pointing back at the shopkeeper.

PS: Literalists are kindly referred to the hazmat warning posted earlier in this thread.

PPS: Trolls do like feta. If you want to feed one, don't bring crap.

Most Thais seem to get let off with a slap on the hand, and a 500 baht fine, even for serious offense like assault, and armed robbery.

This statement is, of course, completely untrue.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/678622-500-baht-fine-for-fake-watch-vendor-who-stabbed-a-german-on-pattaya-beach/

That's just the one that sprang to mind, others have been reported, and I wonder how many there are that never make it in to a news headline.

A 74 year old male caught stealing, or suspected of stealing a 210 baht goat cheese pack and thrown in a holding cell for how long?

What sort of jail sentence and fine can this guy expect, insane. The financial hardship caused to the owner must be negligible.

This is nothing more than a petty crime. Just pay the 210 baht and walk.

You must be joking ?! Where is the penalty element in that?rolleyes.gif

I have heard some establishments in Pattaya will agree to accept 10 times the price as compensation when a shoplifter is caught and thereby its kept away from the police and the perpetrators record

blink.png innocent. Americans don't know what goat cheese is and don't want to. Someone is getting his goat. Singhajerry

Not exactly.

post-37101-0-49194100-1384338058_thumb.j

Caprine Cheeses
  • American goat cheeses are made from the milk of Toggenburg, Sable, Saaen, Oberhasli, Nubian, Nigerian Dwarf, La Mancha and Alpine goats. US goat cheeses include Acapella, Capriole Banon, Coupole, Cypress Grove Chevre, Humboldt Fog, Idaho Goatster and Texas goat cheese. Beregere Blue is made from sheep's milk. In 2011, a Wisconsin goat cheese called Evalon won top honors at the US Champion Cheese Contest.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8323565_types-cheeses-made-usa.html#ixzz2kWGHoxQP

• Like 1

all this for 210 baht???

If I was the shop owner, I would not even call the police for that. This is ridiculous.

But Thais are quick to report the crime. Farang did wrong. Farang must pay. And don't forget the finger pointing!

Edited by peterbkk9

StoryWriter: please do not use the single descriptor "American" in title of story. The man is not an American.

Is he travelling on a American passport, The only true Americans are the Indians from what I was taught in history.
Why is that...didn't they come from Asia? That would make them Chinese, Mongolian, or Russian perhaps.

UMMM I think he means these Indians red ind.jpg

Not like this one .... ghandi.jpg

Yep...that's what I meant. Where do you think the fella dressed up to look like a Thanksgiving day turkey came from?

all this for 210 baht???

If I was the shop owner, I would not even call the police for that. This is ridiculous.

It is not about the money, it is about the principle!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I understand what you are saying

But to be practical, if I was a shop owner, I dont think 210 baht is worth the hassle and the time to bring the story to the police.

And come on... this is reported in the newspapers??

Edited by peterbkk9

It might have behooved them to treat him with just a teeny little bit more respect.

Nice one... Jing.... Behooved... and goat cheese.... tongue.png

Meanwhile, ThaiVisa leading off its daily news email with an alleged supermarket theft of a 210b package of goat cheese????

While the Kingdom is falling apart around us??? My my..... whistling.gif

• Like 2

There is no excuse to steal a gourmet item like goat cheese. So if he's guilty, he's guilty, and those are the breaks. However, I am concerned to know if he is still behind bars. An elderly man like that is most likely on multiple medications for chronic health conditions. How is he getting those medications now? Seriously, a small incident like this can become very serious very fast.

Personally, I think the wise and humane thing for a market to do would be to demand 5 times the cost of the item and BAN him from the store.

Give the guy a break, he most likely forgot he even picked it up in the first place.

Owner suspected he was stealing but could not catch him ? Sorry but a total drivel, not so hard to check someone daily

He was on camera, if he was leaving with it under his arm or in his hand ok give him the benefit of the doubt he obviously never caused a stir by making out he forgot, home you go matey. I used to be a Supermarket manager for Tesco in UK and it was rife I never let them go only if very old and showed some surprise. None of the shit like I'm only a pensioner.
Good on you, you teach that 75 year old a lesson Edited by lemoncake

Thanks for the warning! 210 baht worth of goat cheese? I would be looking for something more dear...perhaps jewelry. He must be a very baaaa-d man. They should make him eat it, as punishment.

Well, there's not a lot of jewelry on display at Best.

If a man wants goats cheese, he wants goats cheese. That's it.

all this for 210 baht???

But to be practical, if I was a shop owner, I dont think 210 baht is worth the hassle and the time to bring the story to the police.

You don't get it. Best is gonna get a lot more than 210 baht now. So will the police, friends of Best. Why leave good money sittin' on the table?

He denied he stole the cheese. If she didn't call the police, he'd have just gotten in his car and rode away. If him, why not all the other shoplifters too? Why sell, why not just give everything away? That's what many here would advocate, right?

Edited by JSixpack

Roman Law: Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat[—"Proof lies on him who asserts, not on him who denies"

Thxx Law: Farang is guilty cause Thai said so...case closed.

Troll nonsense. The usual farang victimism.

He was just kidding, and now he's looking sheepish.

Poor him, felt sorry for him, he missed the cheese...what happen if thai in USA lifting Prarah...

If I am the owner of the shop, I would have given him a bunch of cheese ...but need to work one day free of cheese...opps charge...

Happily I own none of the shops, as I would have given for free...if they are hunger for homeland food....understand u guys. Sorry for u too.

all this for 210 baht???

You don't get it. Best is gonna get a lot more than 210 baht now. So will the police, friends of Best. Why leave good money sittin' on the table?

He denied he stole the cheese. If she didn't call the police, he'd have just gotten in his car and rode away. If him, why not all the other shoplifters too? Why sell, why not just give everything away? That's what many here would advocate, right?

"Best is gonna get a lot more than 210 baht now. So will the police, friends of Best. Why leave good money sittin' on the table?"

I don't know. We are in Thailand. Their mind can't possibly be that twisted.. or maybe I am too naive