Australian think tank warns of 'febrile' atmosphere in Thailand after ICJ ruling

webfact

THE CAMBODIAN HERALD
Australian think tank warns of 'febrile' atmosphere in Thailand after ICJ ruling

The Cambodia Herald - The Lowy Institute for International Policy has warned of the feverish atmosphere in Thailand following Monday's ruling by the International Court of Justice on the Preah Vihear temple.

The unanimous ruling affirmed the court’s 1962 decision to award sovereignty over the temple to Cambodia and clarified the sovereignty over land surrounding the temple.

"The court effectively ruled that the topographic ’peninsula’ on which the Preah Vihear temple is built is Cambodian territory while land beyond the peninsula is Thai," the Lowy Interpreter said in a commentary published Tuesday.

"The practical result is that the Thai Government is now obligated to remove its troops and other government representatives from areas close to the temple.

"Politically, the ICJ decision comes close to being a ’win-win’ result for the two governments, and it has been welcomed as such by Thai and Cambodian ministers," it said.

The blog by the Sydney-based think tank said there was "little appetite in Cambodia for further confrontation on this issue.

"But the political atmosphere in Thailand (and especially Bangkok) is febrile, as debate over the issue of amnesties for those involved in the 2010 Yellow Shirt-Red Shirt protests continues to generate strong feelings.

"Ultra-patriotic groups may try to gain political advantage from the ICJ’s decision by attacking the Thai Government as being weak in protecting national interests."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-13

• Like 2

What a load of crap!!coffee1.gif

May I suggest that the socalled "think tank" visits the country, they are writing about!!

The febrile atmosphere in Thailand are caused by little darlings like this one:attachicon.gif835-583x874.jpg

And not by the ICJ-ruling!!

They can't . Australians only visit Phuketbiggrin.png

by the way your Thai beauties pictures are getting better clap2.gif

• Like 1

May I suggest that the socalled "think tank" visits the country, they are writing about!!

The febrile atmosphere in Thailand are caused by little darlings like this one:attachicon.gif835-583x874.jpg

Do you know anything about the Lowy Institute ?? Obviously not with a comment like this one. They are at the leading edge of Australia's foriegn policy. More than qualified to make observations on what's going on in SEA.

http://lowyinstitute.org/ coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Would be nice to know how much salary those "think tanks" get to convert their intellectually inferior febrile brain seizures into news flashes that make headlines worldwide... Sometimes I just sit and wonder... blink.png

Reminds me of a clip of Monkey Dust, where the script was written by hens:

Edited by catweazle
  • Like 2

Do you know anything about the Lowy Institute ?? Obviously not with a comment like this one. They are at the leading edge of Australia's foriegn policy. More than qualified to make observations on what's going on in SEA.

They're so leading edge that no one outside the former penal colony has heard of them ! whistling.gif

Edited by Baerboxer

Some need to open their eyes a little wider to see than others. giggle.gif

They're so leading edge that no one outside the former penal colony has heard of them ! whistling.gif

• Like 1

Maybe because Australia was only a very very tiny British penal colony compared to the U.S. A little like comparing elephant <deleted> to fly <deleted>.

Great. Now we have to resort to a think-tank full of ex politicos know-it-alls to tell us how to think.

I can think independently, mind you. It is the sheep that listen to these clowns, because they cannot make up their minds otherwise.

Now, I am on my way to buy some Raisin Bran. My daily febrile diet is awaiting me, as I missed one shit already. 8-)

Oh, Australia has a "think tank" ? It must be 80 proof.................

Well we are not the U.S or Europe but Yep we do have the capacity to think. The world is quite welcome to come and join us and you will be amazed by the things we have given you.