Briton Shot Dead In Pattaya

george

The poor guy would probably turn in his grave to hear you lot sqabbling like a load of Kindergarten detainees. For Christ sake someones been murdered. If you want to throw handbags at each other or scratch each others eyes out, please give a little respect and open a topic of your own.

Well said................theres a thread ongoing in the Pattaya Forum where some of these comments would be more appropriate. :o

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to my question. Why has no-one questioned the fact that this 'Bar-girl' was carrying 40,000 in cash. That to me seems very strange that she told the Police she had that amount stolen from her.

The OP included the following:

English man shot dead in, what appears to be, a random armed robbery in Pong sub-district

Source: http://www.pattayacitynews.net

The four men restrained Khun Sujira at this point and stole items of value from her and the dead man including a mobile phone, 1,500 Baht in cash and a necklace and ring. A total of 20,000 Baht’s worth of items were stolen from the woman along with other undisclosed items stolen from Mr. Parkinson as he lie dead on the street.

--Pattaya City News 2006-05-03

A later post then claimed:

A differing amount of money in this report...

Briton, 47, shot dead in Pattaya

The killers allegedly took Bt40,000 in cash from her purse, her valuables and an unknown amount of cash from Parkinson's trouser pockets before fleeing.

I would say the amount of cash stated in the OP is the more credible of the two.

The poor guy would probably turn in his grave to hear you lot sqabbling like a load of Kindergarten detainees. For Christ sake someones been murdered. If you want to throw handbags at each other or scratch each others eyes out, please give a little respect and open a topic of your own. Why not call it " I'm a bigger <deleted> than he is"

Back to my question. Why has no-one questioned the fact that this 'Bar-girl' was carrying 40,000 in cash. That to me seems very strange that she told the Police she had that amount stolen from her.

I've made at least three appeals on this thread to stick to the topic, and not use this incident as an opportunity to bash Pattaya and flame the Pattaya residents - to no avail. If these guys, who probably know little or nothing about Pattaya insist on making inflammatory coments, then I insist on my right of reply.

Why has no-one questioned the fact that this 'Bar-girl' was carrying 40,000 in cash.

Maybe because she thought she had nothing to lose by inflating her losses - if they are caught she might recover more than she lost?

Most people I have discussed this with, including my wife, are convinced the lady was in cahoots with the killers. It seems unlikey such cold blooded bast..rds would let her off scot free, even if they were wearing face helmets - she still might spot something and/or recognise the voices.

Who knows? :o

My condolences to friends and family. Hope they catch the culprits--all of them, both the ones directly involved and any who are might be indirectly involved.

Regarding the 40,000 Baht that the BG supposedly had, you might want to view that with suspicion. She may just be saying that's how much she had, hoping for reimbursement somewhere along the line.

I've seen similar types of things. Vendors who claim to be so poor and only making a small amount of money a day. Someone injures their cart or stand or tries to move them and suddenly they are earning thousands of baht per day and compensation demands increase.

n12-113.jpg Picture from Pattaya Blatt (29/08-4/09/2004) - Wallop -

Theft victim delivers swift justice

Englishman Steve Parkinson delivered swift justice to a 16-year-old thief after the youth and another man snatched his 5 baht-weight gold necklace. Parkinson gave chase on his Honda Phantom and rammed the pair near the Grand Hall market in Soi Bua Khao in the early hours of August 21.

Police arrived on the scene to find Parkinson detaining the young criminal in a headlock. Parkinson told police that the 16 year old, identified only as Wallop, and another man tore the gold chain from his neck as he was waiting to turn. Undeterred, Parkinson gave chase and rammed the pair on the bike. Officers searched the youth’s pocket to find the chain, complete with three Buddhist amulets, and took him to Soi 9 for questioning.

Back at the station, police brought in Mawee Kaewlue, 19, who was suspected to have taken part in the theft. However, Mawee said that the bike was his and that the 16 year old and an accomplice had stolen the bike at gunpoint. A quick check led officers to quickly remove Mawee’s handcuffs. They charged Wallop with two counts of theft and sent him to a holding cell pending judicial proceedings while police search for his accomplice.

http://www.pattayamail.com/579/news.shtml

Edited by bulmercke

You would at least expect some sort of scene of crime marker to be there, wouldn't you ?

no.

little or no forensic examination of crime scenes in thailand.

i witnessed a murder in bangkok last year , it occurred within 20 feet of where i was standing , within 5 minutes of the victim being removed from the scene , the police had disappeared and people were walking about as if nothing had happened. nobody was questioned by the police. the murderers were still in the street , and were pointed out to the police , but they made no attempt to arrest them.

a shopkeeper came out with a bucket of water and a brush and swept all the blood down the drain.

t.i.t.

Edited by taxexile

"True-Pattayans"!!!!! what are you smoking buddy? You are just a Farang living in Pattaya on borrowed time and borrowed land! The only "True Pattayans" are the Thais who have lived their for centuries! You must have written this "comment" before you first coffee! A couple of law abiding Farangs say they don't want to live in a crime ridden city and you exhibit a kind of coat of pride and indignation, a flamboyant and nerdy thus proclamation(are you royal?)!! As though the city belongs to a dork like you! OK OK if the Farangs in Pattaya are like you, I won't go I promise! :D:D:D:D

Good we don't need your type here anyway. :o

Edited by davethailand

You would at least expect some sort of scene of crime marker to be there, wouldn't you ?

no.

little or no forensic examination of crime scenes in thailand.

i witnessed a murder in bangkok last year , it occurred within 20 feet of where i was standing , within 5 minutes of the victim being removed from the scene , the police had disappeared and people were walking about as if nothing had happened. nobody was questioned by the police. the murderers were still in the street , and were pointed out to the police , but they made no attempt to arrest them.

a shopkeeper came out with a bucket of water and a brush and swept all the blood down the drain.

t.i.t.

A similar thing happened about eighteen months ago in my soi in BKK. Following a disagreement and autocation in a nearby karoake bar, a youth was chased into our soi and was slain near it's entrance. The next day you could see dried blood on the road where the victim was slain.

I had to pass that spot everyday, and it was eerie that someone's life had been terminated there - nothing to show except the blood stains still visible on the road.

Again, it seemed to be just one of those things that happens now and then and was probably forgotten by most in the area after a few days.

Apparently a katoey working in the bar had been responsible for the murder, but surprise....surprise....when the police went looking for him THE NEXT DAY (he was staying at the other end of the soi) he had disappeared and as far as I know has not been seen since.

The karaoka bar was soon after completely demolished and replaced with a vehicle workshop.

In the matter of this Steve Parkinson murder, in the UK, the crime scene would have been immediately sealed off and an extremely thorough forensic examination would have commenced.

It's still possible there is an unaccounted for spent bullet casing lying around somewhere near there.

Residents and anyone thought to have been in the area at the time would be interviewed. Perhaps, there would be a police road check the following evening near the crime scene.

However, doubt if any of the following has been enacted in this case. TIT.

The police are probably relying on their usual source of information.....informers.

"True-Pattayans"!!!!! what are you smoking buddy? You are just a Farang living in Pattaya on borrowed time and borrowed land! The only "True Pattayans" are the Thais who have lived their for centuries! You must have written this "comment" before you first coffee! A couple of law abiding Farangs say they don't want to live in a crime ridden city and you exhibit a kind of coat of pride and indignation, a flamboyant and nerdy thus proclamation(are you royal?)!! As though the city belongs to a dork like you! OK OK if the Farangs in Pattaya are like you, I won't go I promise! :D:D:D:D

'And just what type do you need here Dave?

regards

'And just what type do you need here Dave?

regards

Narrow minded types for a start. :D

Englishman Steve Parkinson delivered swift justice to a 16-year-old thief after the youth and another man snatched his 5 baht-weight gold necklace. Parkinson gave chase on his Honda Phantom and rammed the pair near the Grand Hall market in Soi Bua Khao in the early hours of August 21.

Y'know, I realize this bloke has grieving friends and family, and not to speak ill of the dead and all that, but it still seems to me that the late Mr. Parkinson was hardly your average punter trying to keep a low profile and stay out of trouble.

Anyone with even a couple of properly firing synapses in their skull should realize Pattaya's not the sort of place to go spotseering about on a scooter with a 5 baht gold chain dangling from your neck. I mean, why tempt fate? Then you buy a house for a 24 year old girl, get in a spat with her, and ride around town at 3AM with a bar girl on the back of your scooter?

Call it random, or coincidence, or unlucky, or whatever you like if it makes you feel better, but from the information available so far it seems Mr. Parkinson was bound and determined to push his luck as far as it would go in every possible way.

Y'know, I realize this bloke has grieving friends and family, and not to speak ill of the dead and all that, but it still seems to me that the late Mr. Parkinson was hardly your average punter trying to keep a low profile and stay out of trouble.

Anyone with even a couple of properly firing synapses in their skull should realize Pattaya's not the sort of place to go spotseering about on a scooter with a 5 baht gold chain dangling from your neck. I mean, why tempt fate? Then you buy a house for a 24 year old girl, get in a spat with her, and ride around town at 3AM with a bar girl on the back of your scooter?

Call it random, or coincidence, or unlucky, or whatever you like if it makes you feel better, but from the information available so far it seems Mr. Parkinson was bound and determined to push his luck as far as it would go in every possible way.

I agree with some comments here, also its a well known fact that driving a motorbike late at night in those areas is a very risky thing to do. :o

I agree with some comments here, also its a well known fact that driving a motorbike late at night in those areas is a very risky thing to do. :o

Yes I also agree. One question I hesitated to ask before , but will now ask is: according to the Hull Daily Mail, Steve was known as Basher in Pattaya. If this is true - is there any significance in the name?

Doesn't quite fit the picture of someone behaving sensibly and discreetly as a guest in another country. :D

Anyone who knew Steve, although saddened, won't be at all suprised by this.

I would like to clarify points, Steve Parkinson (Basher) was a close friend of mine and after reading certain comments on the subject I feel compelled only to reply.

I was surprised to be woken up in the morning after our night out with friends including Steve, to find out that Steve had been gunned down like a dog on his way home, no one deserves that!!! He was not a d*ck (to answer another question) and had many friends here and at home, he enjoyed life to the full and I know for a fact I will miss him.

I can confirm certain points raised by the group:

1. If you knew Steve well enough, you would have known that Steve would sped off to get away from the robbers, he was switched on he would have known it was a robbery. Its a shame he did not stop, they might not have killed him (but we will never know that). I do not think that he needed to understand the Thai language, there intentions where obvious.

2. Two bikes gave chase both bikes had pillion passengers with guns, the robbers had all been wearing full face helmets, therefore cannot be identified.

3. The robbers chased behind them while firing at them, one bike caught up with Steve (like mission impossible as quoted) & pulled along side him shot him twice in the face while he was still riding his bike. His injuries where fatal thats when they both came off the bike, the lady concerned had a gun pointed towards her head while she was robbed and begged to keep her live and the other robbers, robbed him of his personal items while Steve laid dead on the road.

4. Police are investigating the incident that happend in 2004, I was there when this incident happened and Steve had no fear then and did not give into the robbers, he gave chase and although injured himself, he caught the robbers and they got there just rewards. And yes police are well aware of this incident and are following up to see if the robbers have been released from prison.

We do not want Steve just be be another statistic here, we need to ensure that the police are doing everything in their power to apprehend these murderers, which to be fair the police are investigating all leads and are giving alot of attention to it so far.

So lets not forget Steve, so that he is not just a case of "last weeks news"..........

Hi Cotty,

As you obviously know Basher, do you really think this shooting was the result of a "robbery gone bad" ? I mean, chased by two motorbikes and shot twice in the face "Mission Impossible" style because he wouldn't hand over his wallet.

Cheers.

Hi INJT

At the moment everything is pure speculation on wether it was an actual pre meditated murder but we are assisting the police with every angle that we can think from Steves past, including grudges, business deals etc. But talking to the police this seems to be a common occurence around this area and maybe it does not get such a high profile because it as happened to mainly Thai locals in the past and not a foreigner, (maybe other in this group that live local to the area could let us know?).

All information to assist the police in the investigation, should be based on facts, not just hear say or malicious gossip, eg something to back it up with, if someone knows something and can substiaite it, they should contact the police urgently at the Banglamung Police station ask for officer chusak

I'm still trying to work out where along Soi Siam Country Club this took place. I know Mobi (i think) asked this question, but when I scrolled through, I did not see any answers from anyone.

So, exactly where is this Jeab Minimart?

Thanks

Also I am aware of incidents that have happened before along this road, however they normally are in the area towards the bottom end of Siam Country Club (Basically between Railway Line and up as far as Junction with Soi nerm plub wan and the road of to Crocodile farm, basically where the family BBQ chickens on that junction. Invariably they have been Thai victims.

This is in todays UK Daily Star.

By Tom Savage.

A Brit living in Thailand was blasted to death in a suspected "Ladykiller" attack.

Steve Parkinson, 47, from Hull was shot by a four strong gang as he and a girl rode a motorbike in the sleazy beach resort of Pattaya.

I follows a series of attacks where Thai brides have ordered the murder of their wealthy foreign husbands.

Steve's Thai girlfriend, who wasn't the girl on the bike- denied she was involved but, she admitted they had split in a row just days before.post-16343-1146841899_thumb.jpg

redrus

Edited by redrus

cotty230 - can you provide any info on the lady that happened to be with him?

Athough stated as a bar girl in the press, she was already known to Steve and was not in the bar that she worked when they met she was out with her brother & sister from the same housing estate as steve. As far as I know she also lived on the same estate as Steve to and he was giving her a lift home that night, thats what Steve actually told me on the night.

I have prompted the police with many questions over this lady and everything seems to come back giving her the all clear, but the police are still investigating her and the statements given by her (thats all I can say for now).

By Tom Savage.

A Brit living in Thailand was blasted to death in a suspected "Ladykiller" attack.

Steve Parkinson, 47, from Hull was shot by a four strong gang as he and a girl rode a motorbike in the sleazy beach resort of Pattaya.

I follows a series of attacks where Thai brides have ordered the murder of their wealthy foreign husbands.

Steve's Thai girlfriend, who wasn't the girl on the bike- denied she was involved but, she admitted they had split in a row just days before.post-16343-1146841899_thumb.jpg

I would love to know where the press are getting there information for articles like this especially if they are being informed from Thailand (sensationalism or what??), Steve & Siriporn (not married) had an amicable split on the same day and which also happened to be the night of his murder, myself & Steve even spoke of this on that evening . They had both been keeping in touch even on that evening and the split was supposed to be a temporary break, as far as I know and even up to now she gains nothing financially are losses are greater. She is already distraught over her loss of Steve and after hearing this news today, she is inconsolable. When the investigation is over and her name is cleared, I wonder if there will be any apology forth coming from the press, I THINK NOT.

actually cotty 230 , they havent accused his ex girl friend of anything.

a case like this involving pattaya , girls , ex girl friends and assassins on motorbikes is bound to attract attention from the uk gutterpress.

you should not be surprised.

those close to his already distraught ex girl friend should not be letting her read stories like this.

Quick thought: Maybe she was in on it. They had to know where he was to make hte hit. She can also give a good misdirection on descriptions etc to the cops. Just a thought. (synical bastard that I am)

i would agree, if random then why leave a witness

if not random she was most likely in on it, giving location and info to the assailants, they need to check her phone records and also those of her friends at the bar

i also agree that pattaya is becoming a very dangerous place, the more of this gets out the more people will give pattaya a wide birth, if tourism goes down then pattaya becomes a economical disaster, which will equate to more crime.

By Tom Savage.

I would love to know where the press are getting there information for articles like this especially if they are being informed from Thailand (sensationalism or what??), Steve & Siriporn (not married) had an amicable split on the same day and which also happened to be the night of his murder, myself & Steve even spoke of this on that evening . They had both been keeping in touch even on that evening and the split was supposed to be a temporary break, as far as I know and even up to now she gains nothing financially are losses are greater. She is already distraught over her loss of Steve and after hearing this news today, she is inconsolable. When the investigation is over and her name is cleared, I wonder if there will be any apology forth coming from the press, I THINK NOT.

I thought I read somewhere they were selling their flat due to the rift? No doubt with the property in her name and she didnt really care to give him his share upon sale. Regardless, a wise man once advised to always be worth more to your TG alive than dead because she will always choose the money.

I would love to know where the press are getting there information for articles like this especially if they are being informed from Thailand (sensationalism or what??)

Most likely "Tom Savage" is one of the pseudonyms of the infamous Andrew Drummond, supplier of juicy fabrications from South East Asia to the British gutter press.

The importance is what sells best, and not what might have happened in reality.

His home had recently been placed on the market after he split from his Thai girlfriend Siriporn Supatra, who has spoken to police.
She told reporters in Thailand: "I do not know who would want to kill Steve. He had no enemies. I had left him a few days previously because we had a row. We were planning to get back together."

So, a few days after having a row with her former girlfriend the house is for sale ? Knowing that they planned to get back together, that seems strange. :o

cotty230 - can you provide any info on the lady that happened to be with him?

Athough stated as a bar girl in the press, she was already known to Steve and was not in the bar that she worked when they met she was out with her brother & sister from the same housing estate as steve. As far as I know she also lived on the same estate as Steve to and he was giving her a lift home that night, thats what Steve actually told me on the night.

I have prompted the police with many questions over this lady and everything seems to come back giving her the all clear, but the police are still investigating her and the statements given by her (thats all I can say for now).

One thing, is it likely that the girl would wiilingly sit on the back of a bike if she knew the guy was going to gunned down? For starters, if he didn't stop, she might get hurt in an accident, and for second, she might get hit by a stray bullet. As it was, we told that two of the bullets missed their target.

Not sure I'd want to finger someone and sit behind him on a bike? :o

Edited by Mobi D'Ark