KIDS

phuketrichard

Why does Thai Visa allow such an unethical thread?

I do not think that the OP had any intentions other than capturing the smiling faces of the kids. I for one have taken photos of children in various villages I have visited as well as in locations around the world. Unfortunately there are those who in our society that have sick minds and will exploit children. But let's exercise a little bit of compassion for our fellow posters here. I think if you read the thread in their entirety you would see that our forum feels that this thread can be seen as inappropriate and as such, we as posters have abandoned the thread until your most recent comments.

• 10 months later...

@Jimmy

just a thought.

Are you comfortable posting images of kids that may not be your own or without the written consent of their parents? Assuming this is the case.

This subject matter is exceptionally sensitive these days.

Take a look at the "Nationals" were all the child images are greyed out and ask yourself why.

............Posted with the best intent.

@Jimmy

just a thought.

Are you comfortable posting images of kids that may not be your own or without the written consent of their parents? Assuming this is the case.

This subject matter is exceptionally sensitive these days.

Take a look at the "Nationals" were all the child images are greyed out and ask yourself why.

............Posted with the best intent.

Yes it is a concern, fimgirl, we have been through this subject earlier in this thread... these are my old neighbour kids, you might say my "Thai family"

and although I don't have written consent, the mothers are aware, that their children do get posted from time to time... they even look them..and laugh...

I think more get posted by themselves on Face book, which I don't do.... that would worry me more than here...

So I do understand your concern... but the other thread of faces I think it is, contains many kids too... it's a tough one, we'll let Tywais decide whether to delete them or not! wink.png

The legal rights of photographers state that photos of anyone, including children, does not require a written agreement or model release unless done specifically for commercial purposes. This applies to public settings as private property is covered differently. The other part as it pertains to Thaivisa, photos of children should not be in compromising or inappropriate situations. These vary from country to country but general guidelines. In other words, you can't take a photo of someone, including children, and post it in an ad campaign without a model release but elsewhere such as forums, Facebook, etc. it is legally allowed.

I have researched the legal rights for a couple of years for my own interest and for the forum and have plans to put together a topic that covers the legalities and rights. But until then, we can go back to the topic.

BTW, the below was recently added to the forum rules. None of the photos posted here are anywhere close to crossing that rule.

"Thaivisa forum seeks to protect children and other at risk groups from exploitation on the internet. Images and videos which might appear to be inappropriate or exploitative will be removed and the member will receive a warning."

H.B. 1 year biggrin.png

0e73f2670de49aec795ea95549d13fe0.jpg

@Kruell

Technically excellent as is #11

Care to share the lighting set-up?

Thanks

Agreed. This is a great shot. For those with interest I suggest that you study shots like this and then try to figure out the setup and do the same thing. The techniques are very often simple using only a key and a fill or sometimes using only a reflector as fill.

The setup for the shot in question my guess is one flash not too high to the shooters left. The soft shadows makes me believe a modifier of some kind, probably a small soft-box or even just a diffuser on a bare flash.

Fimgirl, Forethat thanks.

I have used classic setup for the shot - one flash + reflector (umbrella 110 cm) to the shooter left, 45 degrees to the baby and not to high ( 45 degrees) to one.

I have used same setup with #8.

Fimgirl, Forethat thanks.

I have used classic setup for the shot - one flash + reflector ([/size]umbrella 110 cm) to the shooter left, 45 degrees to the baby and not to high ( 45 degrees) to one.

I have used same setup with #8.

The rectangular catch light made me believe it was a softbox. Anyways, great shot!

Archived