Teaching for The British Council in Chiang Mai

loraporz

Hi guys,

I've been thinking about teaching in Thailand for a while. Anyone who has seen me around before may know that I have spent a lot of time in Thailand in the past due to my fathers relocation to the country ten years ago, which has since brought me a lot of love for the country, a half-thai brother.

I've read a mixed review of good and bad experiences from teachers in Thailand. Most problems seemed to revolve around the school location, the lack of professionalism within the schools, the chaotic nature of lessons, and the salary. However I recently came across a job advertisement for a full time teacher to work in Chiang Mai for The British Council. Considering this job is offered by The British Council, I'd like to think there would be some job security, professionalism, and a half decent salary to go with the job they offer?

The deadline closes on the 17th, and the job starts in January. It may all be a little soon to pack up and relocate, but if the job is worth it I'm happy to at least submit my application and see how far it gets me. Buttt, it would be useful to find out a little more, so I'm here for yet more advice from you guys, should any of you be so kind to offer it.

Basically, has anyone here taught for The British Council in Chiang Mai? Or for The British Council in any other foreign country?

If so, what was your experience?

Thanks in advance!

x

I think to work for the British Council a BA degree and CELTA certificate are required. I knew someone working for the British Council in Bkk and was taking home over 60,000
Baht a month. Not sure if the pay is the same in Chaing Mai.

Hi

I worked for the BC for about 8 years including some time in Chiang Mai. Compared with other schools and private language schools in CM, the salary is certainly better than most (if not all?). There is provision for professional development, again better than most other schools. You get access to the BC global network of teaching centres - good for if/when you want to move on within the organisation. It's very pleasantly located as opposed to some of the corporate office block BC centres in other places. They are a good organisation to get on your CV if you plan to teach EFL long term. I left because I didn't fancy getting sucked into management, which is what I felt was expected of me after 10 years or so of teaching.

Try it out if you have the necessary quals.

Good luck!

Salary is good, but in CM you earn it. Varied hours, some on some off locations.

If I remember right you also need to have a British Passport to be full time for the BC in Thailand. Used to be a government visa and not a Non B that they would give you. I know that in CM the head of the BC used to also be the Consul but that changed a few years ago but not sure if they will hire non Brits full time.

Hard to give suggestions or advice since you didn't give any relevant information about your goals. If you are looking to extend your stay with some salary, don't work for BC. They are a full time commitment. If you are looking to build a career in EFL, then yes they will be a great start.

Thanks guys! Sorry I didn't include any qualifications, I was just really looking to see if anyone had done it first :)

Qualifications:

• 1 year full time teaching experience (+2 summers in a summer school)
  • CELTA
  • Post Graduate Certificate in Further and Higher Music Education
  • BA (Hons) in Professional Musicianship

(Very) longterm goals:

To become an ADOS, teacher trainer, materials writer and course designer.