Wine by the glass

thaipod

Last night I ate at Sizzler at Rama 3 and decided to order a glass of red wine to go with my ribs which cost 220 baht . The glass arrives in a small glass less than half full, cold out of a fridge and expired.

After bringing this to the waitresses attention she walked away and never came back .Why do these resuarants let this happen after incouraging clients to by their wine .

Better to buy the bottle and make them open it at the table and take what is not finished home

• Like 1

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moral of the story.

Choose a better class of restaurant.

Buy wine buy the bottle,opened at the table.

The norm.

Just out of interest,did you go to the fridge,to find out the wine had an expiry date.

As this is what is implied.

• Like 2

If the glass was 1/2 full you got a VERY GENEROUS pour by Thai wine by the glass standards.

I assume by expired you mean you could taste the bottle had been open too long and you could taste that. Or the box ...

Also, of course, Sizzler ain't exactly fine dining.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

.Why do these restaurant let this happen after encouraging clients to buy their wine . "because they wouldn't know shyt from shinola" even if they had it in their mouths.....giggle.gif

You might have something to complain about if Thai people drank wine. Sorry it is not back home.smile.png I believe they know Som Tom from Kee Ma and that takes care of most situations for Thais.

• Like 1

Moral of the story.

Choose a better class of restaurant.

Buy wine buy the bottle,opened at the table.

The norm.

Just out of interest,did you go to the fridge,to find out the wine had an expiry date.

As this is what is implied.

Some of us can taste a problem...................coffee1.gif

And some us know red is served at a room temperature, not from a fridge..................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

It doesn't matter what the restaurant... If its on the menu it should the acceptable for purpose.

i.e. IF I saw Lao Khao and Som Tam on a menu in Kentucky at the least I would expect them to be drinkable and edible (if thats possible !)...

The point here is that the Op suspects the Wine to be stale. It appears we all believe him and question his choice in ordering wine on the menu in the first place rather than the restaurant for selling rubbish.

We've been in Thailand long enough to have learnt from past mistakes, our expectations are now low, especially when ordering something such as Wine in Sizzler. But the fact remains, if its on the menu it should be good enough to consume.

If McDonalds served salad, I wouldn't be happy if it was soggy and limp - but why would I order a salad in a fast food restaurant... We'll that's not the point if its on the Menu (and salad is on the McDonalds menu in some countries).

Sizzler would do better to simply remove wine from their menu... so that IF people wish to eat there, what they do choose is at least palatable.

For the record - I avoid Sizzler's but understand the Ops irritation.

• Like 1

I saw a truck deliver wine on Koh Chang. Guess it was the driver's holiday. It sat outside the wine shop for the better part of the week, in the sun, before offloading.

I offered to buy a bottle in some small shop in the middle of nowhere. It was a 20 year old red cab, lying dusty on its side. No idea how it came to be there. Thought, hey, maybe one of those finds. Uh-uh, cork was as dry as British humor. Guy was nice though, no charge.

Thais just don't know about these things, anymore than New Yorkers know about som tom.

Probably the bottle has been open too long or it was a bad bottle, that happens with every type of wine now and than.

The red wine at Sizzler is not that bad, it's a special type made for them by Jacobs Creek. I no it's not grand cru, but for an industrial wine given the crazy prices in Thailand for wine it's good value.

Problem with Sizzler is the same as in many Thai restaurants and shops, there is no service and the staff don't know shit about what they are selling or serving. If you complain they look like a sheep and to run away from it.

Probably the bottle has been open too long or it was a bad bottle, that happens with every type of wine now and than.

The red wine at Sizzler is not that bad, it's a special type made for them by Jacobs Creek. I no it's not grand cru, but for an industrial wine given the crazy prices in Thailand for wine it's good value.

Problem with Sizzler is the same as in many Thai restaurants and shops, there is no service and the staff don't know shit about what they are selling or serving. If you complain they look like a sheep and to run away from it.

I would guess, but could be wrong, that wine from these outlets is the vacuum box variety.

Sizzler...an American restaurant chain in Thailand and you expect a good wine, which is something very European?

Sorry it is your fault.

I think 99 % of all French, Italien, Indian, etc etc restaurants with a real owner will serve you perfect wine.

Sizzler...an American restaurant chain in Thailand and you expect a good wine, which is something very European?

Sorry it is your fault.

I think 99 % of all French, Italien, Indian, etc etc restaurants with a real owner will serve you perfect wine.

Just a pointless American bashing cheap shot that doesn't come close to reflecting actual reality.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- U.S. residents now make up the largest wine market in the world, consuming 13 percent of all that's produced globally, according to an analyst who spoke Wednesday at a major wine industry gathering.

As far as the economics of wine in Thailand, you are NOT going to get an exceptional wine by the glass here for 220 baht (except if served in a MICRO serving). I can understand hoping for not stale or not rotten though.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2