Mae Jo Lantern Festival this Saturday, Nov 16

PhotoJohn

This is the annual free event for the mass release of lanterns at Mae Jo University.

The Chiang Mai Photography Group (CMPG) is once again attending the event in pre-arranged air conditioned vans.

This year, we still have just two seats left that are available for the first respondents.

We're leaving Chiang Mai at 4:15 pm and returning around 9:30 pm.

If you'd like to join us, it will be a chance to meet some of our members, and ride there and back in comfort without worrying about traffic or parking.

If interested, please PM me for all the details.

post-109001-0-71683900-1384406103_thumb.

Which part of the event is free?...the entrance fee, because I am reliably informed you have pay for their komloys.

In other words you can't take your 3 for 100bt with you.

Just an observation...should be spectacular regardless, hope to get along this time.

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

Admission to the event is free, as opposed to next week's event which cost $100. I understand that event is already sold out.

I think you're right about the Khomloys though. However, you're not required to buy any. I just go to take photos.

Admission to the event is free. You can not bring your own lantern/komloy, if you want to release a lantern you have to buy one there. I don't remember the price but it is reasonable. The lanterns are made with as much wood and as little wire as possible, which is a good idea.

The last two years they also imposed a dress code on women--no shorts, short skirts or bare shoulders. Of course there were stalls set up near the entrance selling cheap clothes at inflated prices, but it's easier to dress appropriately before you arrive.

Alcohol is not sold anywhere near there, with good reason. This a religious affair with chest high flames all over the place. It won't be a good place to be drunk.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1

What is a good time to head out for this? I know it gets crazy busy out there - I see you guys are leaving at just after 16:00 is that a reasonable time or are you getting out there early to grab a good spot and set up you equipment?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Was very surprised it's this Saturday, I was convinced it would happen last week.

I was wrong.

If you go on a scooter you can arrive at 7pm, the last kilometre is very slow.

Beer on sale at the market stalls outside the centre.

No Komloys or fireworks allowed in, you will be forced to leave any with the gate staff.

It's crowd hell.

The signs have gone up, for the usual one-way approach/departure routes on local roads, and the locals are eagerly looking-forward to parking your motorbikes @ 20 baht per-time. smile.png

Hopefully there won't be a repeat of last year's amazing storm, just after the balloon(s) go up !

Is the activity on the campus itself or is it at the Buddhist property ( http://goo.gl/maps/MohVw ) behind the university to the east, on the opposite side of the canal? I've never been to this, though seen lots of beautiful photos. Riding the motorcycle or bicycle there could be a memorable evening...with regards to the khomloys, not the obscene traffic.

Is the activity on the campus itself or is it at the Buddhist property ( http://goo.gl/maps/MohVw ) behind the university to the east, on the opposite side of the canal? I've never been to this, though seen lots of beautiful photos. Riding the motorcycle or bicycle there could be a memorable evening...with regards to the khomloys, not the obscene traffic.

Over the canal, in the Buddhist grounds.

• Like 1

Can anybody tell me what time the lanterns are released? I've read 6.30pm but that seems very early. I plan to ride up to the area and watch from near-ish, not go in to the area itself, sounds far too busy.

Many thanks if anybody can tell me and save me hanging about for ages smile.png

Can anybody tell me what time the lanterns are released? I've read 6.30pm but that seems very early. I plan to ride up to the area and watch from near-ish, not go in to the area itself, sounds far too busy.

Many thanks if anybody can tell me and save me hanging about for ages smile.png

After 8pm, before 8:30pm (Thai time)

Edited by FiftyTwo

Light rain and I just took a look at the traffic situation on the Mae Jo Road...gonna be a pass this year for us - again. It was fun years ago. If people haven't left and are well on their way now (17:45), maybe consider giving it a pass or face the consequences of what may be a disappointment in terms of traffic from hell and possible heavy rain.

It was a really good event, 10s of thousands there.

From one stall holder on the klong approach to the gate, "heavy crowds started walking in at 3pm, and just kept coming until 9pm".

By my watch the main release happened at 7:56pm.

The fireworks after were much shorter than usual and slightly disappointing.

Usual crowd madness trying to escape after.

• Like 1