Thai Deputy PM warns of third party involvement in protest

webfact

"Experts say the opposition Democrat Party, which Suthep resigned from to head the protests, has benefited from anger over the amnesty."

Does it take an 'expert' to work that out?

"Thailand has been rocked by several rounds of opposing protests since Thaksin's government was deposed in an army coup in 2006"

The only bad rounds were fired in 2010, and I don't see any rounds being fired by the protestors. If any are they will be from the ruling party's orders!

-mel.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This PTP will stop at nothing to draw fire away from the real issues, the deputy P.M. is probably right in saying a third party might be interested ,but they are not yet involved and he is a long shot off the mark with the description he gives of these people, bah.gif

The clutching at straws by this current administration to discredit the demonstrations against the administration itself and its whitewashing bills is indeed beyond belief.

Perhaps this administration is myopic, thus they haven't noticed that to date there have been no arson attacks, no shots fired no looting of premises, no invasion of hospitals etc unlike the Thaksin sponsored Red Shirt fun away days at 500 baht per diem events of 2010.

It must really be exasperating to see that both anti Amnesty bill and anti government demonstrations are being conducted without violence from the protesters ( the public at large) as opposed to a paid bunch of agitators as we all witnessed before in 2010 under a Thaksin dictatorship directorship

And maybe the most important omission to explain the peaceful situation today. No Army.

• Like 1

The government defense to date.

We know what we are doing, do not bother us with questions, accounting, etc as you need to give us time, be patient, forgiving, forgetful of the past, and we will lead the way to becoming the HUB of the universe.

The threat of legal charges made by various government lackies to leaders as well as participants in the protest has not been effectiive.

The plea by the PM for protestors to disband fell on deaf ears.

The rumors that the protest leaders were at loggerheads with one another accomplished little if anything.

Then Plod opens mouth and declares many of the protestors are insulting in their actions.

The bottom of the barrel is fast approaching, thus third party, weapons stash, influntial figures, well known figures, etc theories/rumors are thrown out. The odds of them hitting the mark are about as good of being correct as the propaganda of the past 2 years has been.

We also do not have the odd grenade lobbed which I would imagine helps even more to keep things peaceful.

The clutching at straws by this current administration to discredit the demonstrations against the administration itself and its whitewashing bills is indeed beyond belief.

Perhaps this administration is myopic, thus they haven't noticed that to date there have been no arson attacks, no shots fired no looting of premises, no invasion of hospitals etc unlike the Thaksin sponsored Red Shirt fun away days at 500 baht per diem events of 2010.

It must really be exasperating to see that both anti Amnesty bill and anti government demonstrations are being conducted without violence from the protesters ( the public at large) as opposed to a paid bunch of agitators as we all witnessed before in 2010 under a Thaksin dictatorship directorship

And maybe the most important omission to explain the peaceful situation today. No Army.

Look, we are all well aware of who or what the third hand is.

Yingluck has two hands. However as we all are aware, her brother has one hand in her back ( one dreads to think where the insertion point may be) working her. Now we can all plainly sees the truth concerning that ''Third hand'' statement.

It's Thaksin.

We also do not have the odd grenade lobbed which I would imagine helps even more to keep things peaceful.

You seem obsessed by grenades as they keep on appearing in your posts about UDD supporters. How many UDD supporters were arrested for throwing / firing grenades? Now if you mentioned grenades everytime a post was about Sae Daeng you might be more on the ball. Otherwise it's just noise.

And maybe the important reason for so much violence in 2010: No police.

With Issan Rambo & the general touting lies & stupidity one would be forgiven for thinking that they are looking for a reason to attack the demonstrators. Certainly Rambo would love to have a go if he could get a big enough mob together.

• Like 1

That's the target for Dems and PAD ! A military coup again so they can take over the power.and damage Thai economy and reputation once again !! This is so far from Democraty as any one can come !!!!!

If someone doesn't take over the Thai economy soon, there won;'t be one left the way this lot are going. We have been constantly reminded by Gen Prayuth that there will not be a coup.

This has to come to a head one way or another and as things heat up, the only head I can think of is Chalerm's.

This topic is not about UDD supporters, it's about a Dept. PM warning about third party involvement. It's just co-incidence that the chap happens to be a red-shirt.

Also, please read again, I didn't mention who lobbed those grenades. I only wrote that the lack of grenade fun this time might be more reason for the protests to remain peaceful than the army guarding borders, or so.

As for the noise, I only have experience with 120mm mortar grenades, not with the smaller stuff they used in 2010. Maybe you should ask those wounded by grenades in 2010, vanderGrift was lucky but the soldier next to him looked like he might loose his left arm. Ask him if he did hear it coming and if he thought the bang was of an acceptable noise level.

You seem obsessed by grenades as they keep on appearing in your posts about UDD supporters. How many UDD supporters were arrested for throwing / firing grenades? Now if you mentioned grenades everytime a post was about Sae Daeng you might be more on the ball. Otherwise it's just noise.

Edited by rubl

Was there honestly NO RED violence before the Army were involved. I think there were numerous occasions. Also the Army were called in as a last resort when the police didn't do an effective job. But more importantly after the Bangkok Based RED leaders reneged on an agreement at the last moment. So Abhisit and his government did everything within their power to end the protest in a peaceful manner. They even warned the protesters that the army would engage.. They the protesters had EVERY opportunity to leave. But CHOSE to stay (although some did say that they could not leave as the RED guards had kept their ID cards)

But anyway.. Let's stick with the OP.. How did the deputy PM allegedly know that there are/were military weapons on site?

And if it is TRUE why aren't the POLICE at this moment going in to retrieve them?

Edited by thaicbr
  • Like 1

Pol Gen Pracha quoted an intelligence report as saying that other people, especially drug addicts and the unemployed, will enter Bangkok to create unrest.

If that's the intelligence report I shudder to think what the unintelligence report looked like. I reckon the guy compiling the report was having a soapy in Chao Praya 2 or Poseidon and suddenly remembered " Sh*t that report on the protests is due in 5 minutes! I'd better come up with something pdq"

• Like 2

And maybe the important reason for so much violence in 2010: No police.

With Issan Rambo & the general touting lies & stupidity one would be forgiven for thinking that they are looking for a reason to attack the demonstrators. Certainly Rambo would love to have a go if he could get a big enough mob together.

Even if the police had gotten more involved in 2010, even if they were 'up for the fight' so to speak, there's no guarantee they would've been able to do anything to quell the protesters or stem the violence. In 2008 they couldn't keep PAD out of government house or the airport, so why assume the police would have had any effect against the red shirts in 2010, with Seh Daeng and/or other MiB involved? A lot of red shirt sympathizers would agree with you, of course, that it should be a police job to tackle protests that get out of hand. But that's easier said than done when there are armed militants involved, even if the vast majority of protesters are peaceful or only using the standardized weapons of street protest - molotovs and the like. The police do seem better trained now though.

Of course, I think Abhisit should've resigned when it was clear people were being killed, just as I think this government should call an election before resorting to an armed response to the protesters (even if it is in response to people on the protesters side using weapons). I've noticed though, that there are people who think this government should call an election now, in response to these protests, that argued the exact opposite when Abhisit was PM. That 'giving in to mob rule' would 'set a precedent' etc. I'm sure someone has a reason why this isn't a case of the dreaded 'double standards'...

No need for outside agitators. The other paper is reporting that Constitutional Court judges have secretly met with Suthep in a manner which was quoted As being similar to the events that lead to the dissolution of the Samak government. Perhaps the velvet-gloved hand is guiding events again. Against the wishes of the electorate. Odd the Nation and this website is not carrying this major story. On second thoughts, not odd at all. I guess the country is not big enough for two women.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

""Of course, I think Abhisit should've resigned when it was clear people were being killed, just as I think this government should call an election before resorting to an armed response to the protesters (even if it is in response to people on the protesters side using weapons).""

So does that mean rather than negotiating with the UDD and proposing to setup elections in four or five months, Abhisit should have given in and step down immediately? Does that mean you think the current PM should be 'more' thoughtful and step down before things escalate (even though there is no indication of violence) ?

Even if the police had gotten more involved in 2010, even if they were 'up for the fight' so to speak, there's no guarantee they would've been able to do anything to quell the protesters or stem the violence. In 2008 they couldn't keep PAD out of government house or the airport, so why assume the police would have had any effect against the red shirts in 2010, with Seh Daeng and/or other MiB involved? A lot of red shirt sympathizers would agree with you, of course, that it should be a police job to tackle protests that get out of hand. But that's easier said than done when there are armed militants involved, even if the vast majority of protesters are peaceful or only using the standardized weapons of street protest - molotovs and the like. The police do seem better trained now though.

Of course, I think Abhisit should've resigned when it was clear people were being killed, just as I think this government should call an election before resorting to an armed response to the protesters (even if it is in response to people on the protesters side using weapons). I've noticed though, that there are people who think this government should call an election now, in response to these protests, that argued the exact opposite when Abhisit was PM. That 'giving in to mob rule' would 'set a precedent' etc. I'm sure someone has a reason why this isn't a case of the dreaded 'double standards'...

What you forgot to mention is that it was Pheu Thai MP for Samut Prakan Worachai Hema who said he had 'learned' that. He only mentioned a judge with name starting with ... and by the way 100,000 red-shirts will come for the major protests planned next week.

Breakingnews item from yesterday 16:45.

No need for outside agitators. The other paper is reporting that Constitutional Court judges have secretly met with Suthep in a manner which was quoted As being similar to the events that lead to the dissolution of the Samak government. Perhaps the velvet-gloved hand is guiding events again. Against the wishes of the electorate. Odd the Nation and this website is not carrying this major story. On second thoughts, not odd at all. I guess the country is not big enough for two women.

""Of course, I think Abhisit should've resigned when it was clear people were being killed, just as I think this government should call an election before resorting to an armed response to the protesters (even if it is in response to people on the protesters side using weapons).""

So does that mean rather than negotiating with the UDD and proposing to setup elections in four or five months, Abhisit should have given in and step down immediately? Does that mean you think the current PM should be 'more' thoughtful and step down before things escalate (even though there is no indication of violence) ?

Well the original proposal was to dissolve the house in 9 months wasn't it? I think he should've stepped down after April 10th when it was clear that it was very likely more people would be killed. It would've been an act of self-sacrifice, no doubt about that. Anyway, yes, more to point: I don't think YL should step down now, but I certainly think that should be a card she's willing to play without much hesitation should things escalate into people getting killed. Of course, she has a huge advantage that Abhisit didn't have in that she's still likely to win the next election (unless banned by the court, of course) and she's more likely to preserve that advantage, imo, by stepping down than by persevering when people are being killed. Such a move would, of course, also allow her to maintain her claim to democratic principles, especially important w/r/t international perceptions.

I would imagine that Suthep is being followed Night and day by journalists and he is participating in street protest BUT he has time to meet SECRETLY with a Constitutional Judge/ Judges.

Who on earth would wear velvet gloves in Thailand... just to god damn hot. And if they are wearing them ... what colour are they?

• Like 1

I would have thought after knowing what went on in 2008 they would have prepared themselves. You have the reference watermelon police?

The police do seem better trained and also with more will to to the job.. so i suppose we should be thankful for small mercies.

The protests will end in 90 days, the drug addicts will be clean in 90 days, the unemployed will be fully employed in 90 days, Thaksin will be home in 90 days, pigs will fly in 90 days and I will repost this nonsense in 90 days.

In the meantime Rajadamnoen will become the hub of worldwide entertainment, Muangthong will become the hub of red clothing, and Parliament will become the hub of everything except a centre of good governance.

Chai yo! Chai yo! Chai yo!

• Like 1

The democrats can say what they want I just don't believe it.

I just hope that PM Yingluck stays put in not calling the snipers in which the democrats did.

Suthep is as evil as anyone in the old political camps.

Politics in Thailand is about making money. Suthep is a financier of the Democrats or at least he was it before and between he and Thaksin is not much different.

Abhisit has no trust otherwise he wouldn't loose elections.

I actually like Abhisit and often drinked a glass of wine with his older brother at Sukhumvit 35. The whole Abhisit family is nice but if you are in politic you can't be nice.

Obama too was nice in the beginning but completely changed in one of the worse presidents of the United States.

The democrats can say what they want I just don't believe it.

I just hope that PM Yingluck stays put in not calling the snipers in which the democrats did.

Suthep is as evil as anyone in the old political camps.

Politics in Thailand is about making money. Suthep is a financier of the Democrats or at least he was it before and between he and Thaksin is not much different.

Abhisit has no trust otherwise he wouldn't loose elections.

I actually like Abhisit and often drinked a glass of wine with his older brother at Sukhumvit 35. The whole Abhisit family is nice but if you are in politic you can't be nice.

Obama too was nice in the beginning but completely changed in one of the worse presidents of the United States.

Actually most on here would probably agree about Suthep.. he along with many others is a dinosaur.

The police were mostly absent - except for directing up-country busloads of paid 'supporters' to Ratchaprasong - because of two main reasons. The primary one was they supported the red shirts. The secondary one was that their disastrous tear gas misuse against the PAD at government house left them clueless how to control a large demonstration. Yes it is beyond them to deal with the MIB but it is questionable that the MIB would have attacked the police anyway.

Yes Abhisit didn't resign in 2010 but he did offer to hold early elections - refused by you know who. There may well be some hypocrisy in the current demonstrations as I feel they should have quit while still ahead - with a warning that they would be out again if the PTP (Thaksin in reality) were to resurrect the amnesty bill or start another one.

The whole episode could have ended days ago if the PTP had clearly stated - with agreement from Mr T - that they had dropped the bill & not merely suspended it. Other than rabid PTP supporters, nobody believes or trusts them.

Your first paragraph I don't really disagree with apart from this 'paid' business again, but let's not go back into all that. Yes, I doubt there would've been any gain in the MiB attacking police, but even those spiked poles that protesters were using can do a lot of damage. I suspect the police with their current tactics might've been able to deal with them but then, there's only so much police can do if people are really determined. Look at the London riots in 2011. Still, they should be able to defend specific areas/targets from unarmed protesters I guess.

What if Yingluck negotiated with the current protesters - and the government wants to negotiate with Suthep, but he isn't interested - and offered early elections in 9 months? Should the protesters accept it?

Every party in the coalition has pledged not to revive the bill (didn't they sign something or other)? But I agree the PM should do more. It should at least be made as explicit as possible the bill won't be revived, not using equivocal language like 'suspended' which could mean it's been ditched, or it could mean the process has been halted for now, but we'll see about that in 180 days. An apology would also be nice, but you know, that involves loss of face so I can't see that happening.

I'm not convinced any of those moves would stop the protesters though, at least the hardcore. The minimum they'll settle for is an election, imo, but there are those who want far more than that.

The police were mostly absent - except for directing up-country busloads of paid 'supporters' to Ratchaprasong - because of two main reasons. The primary one was they supported the red shirts. The secondary one was that their disastrous tear gas misuse against the PAD at government house left them clueless how to control a large demonstration. Yes it is beyond them to deal with the MIB but it is questionable that the MIB would have attacked the police anyway.

Yes Abhisit didn't resign in 2010 but he did offer to hold early elections - refused by you know who. There may well be some hypocrisy in the current demonstrations as I feel they should have quit while still ahead - with a warning that they would be out again if the PTP (Thaksin in reality) were to resurrect the amnesty bill or start another one.

The whole episode could have ended days ago if the PTP had clearly stated - with agreement from Mr T - that they had dropped the bill & not merely suspended it. Other than rabid PTP supporters, nobody believes or trusts them.

Your first paragraph I don't really disagree with apart from this 'paid' business again, but let's not go back into all that. Yes, I doubt there would've been any gain in the MiB attacking police, but even those spiked poles that protesters were using can do a lot of damage. I suspect the police with their current tactics might've been able to deal with them but then, there's only so much police can do if people are really determined. Look at the London riots in 2011. Still, they should be able to defend specific areas/targets from unarmed protesters I guess.

What if Yingluck negotiated with the current protesters - and the government wants to negotiate with Suthep, but he isn't interested - and offered early elections in 9 months? Should the protesters accept it?

Every party in the coalition has pledged not to revive the bill (didn't they sign something or other)? But I agree the PM should do more. It should at least be made as explicit as possible the bill won't be revived, not using equivocal language like 'suspended' which could mean it's been ditched, or it could mean the process has been halted for now, but we'll see about that in 180 days. An apology would also be nice, but you know, that involves loss of face so I can't see that happening.

I'm not convinced any of those moves would stop the protesters though, at least the hardcore. The minimum they'll settle for is an election, imo, but there are those who want far more than that.

There's very little in your post to disagree with. I will make however make a couple of points.

The government wants to negotiate with Suthep but he isn't interested. It's not surprising that he's not interested as the only one who can make hard decisions for PTP is outside the country. I've no idea if your 9 months suggestion would be acceptable but it would have to come from Thaksin,

Every party in the coalition has pledged not to revive the bill (didn't they sign something or other)?

Yes but that facade has as much worth as when the new cabinet swears before the Emerald Buddha (or whichever image it is) that they will forego corruption. Also, party juniors have virtually no credibility in representing their party.

If the PTP (& the likes of Issan Rambo) would be patient and not shoot their mouths off, the current demonstrations will die out or dwindle down to a few from exhaustion.

Or perhaps the reason that there is no need for the army, (or police if they can be bothered to do their jobs this time), is that the protests are entirely peaceful and within the law, notwithstanding the propaganda and misdirection that is being spewed, not by the red shirts, but by government ministers! And meanwhile they squirm and slide and make threats all round. A pox on them.

• Like 1

There's very little in your post to disagree with. I will make however make a couple of points.

The government wants to negotiate with Suthep but he isn't interested. It's not surprising that he's not interested as the only one who can make hard decisions for PTP is outside the country. I've no idea if your 9 months suggestion would be acceptable but it would have to come from Thaksin,

Every party in the coalition has pledged not to revive the bill (didn't they sign something or other)?

Yes but that facade has as much worth as when the new cabinet swears before the Emerald Buddha (or whichever image it is) that they will forego corruption. Also, party juniors have virtually no credibility in representing their party.

If the PTP (& the likes of Issan Rambo) would be patient and not shoot their mouths off, the current demonstrations will die out or dwindle down to a few from exhaustion.

Yes, I also agree with everything you've written. Except I'm pretty sure the government would clear it with TS first if they made any agreement with Suthep. If his personal word was so important, I guess they could also get him to the meeting via Skype. But anyway, if the government makes a public agreement with Suthep, then their credibility rests on that, as it does reviving w/r/t not reviving the amnesty bill. Of course, you might argue the government is pretty shamless, yet they obviously do care about public opinion to an extent or surely they could've just got senators favourable to them to push the bill through rather than backing down in the first place... anyway, I doubt Suthep would find 9 months particularly interesting at this juncture. I think the Democrats see this as perhaps the only opportunity to seriously damage the government and if there's no dissolution now, their fear is the government might regain some of the public support they've lost in the next few months - unless they ARE stupid enough to revive the bill, of course.

Then there's the court decision, of course, I'd guess they'd want to continue the protests up until that, at least.

• Like 1