Montague Paratroop

bejo

> Seems like is not famous,any idea why?

They are too expensive for what they offer. And the folding mechanism is of course a weak point in the frame and adds some weight. Its more for light terrain, not hard mountain biking.

OK, if you really need a foldable mountainbike than the Paratrooper is great. But who needs it? I get my mountainbike in every car without folding it.

But i hope you will find some dealer in Thailand. These bikes are very interesting nonetheless. I would like to have a closer look at them.

I neither had such bike nor do i know anyone having one. So all i say are just guesses and may be wrong smile.png

The official price in germany seems to be something like 900 Euro, which is way too much for the components used in the standard model. But in the USA the bike seems to be much cheaper (700-800 USD). If they are sold in Thailand for a good price i would be interested too. But i wouldn't use it for hard mountain biking. I would use it for easy touring at a leisurely pace. Such folding bike is of course perfect to take it into a taxi to get to nice cycle spots.

I guess the frame of the bike is strong enough for normal use cases. But if you are riding through the dirt in rainy season maybe muddy water comes into the folding mechanism. I don't know if its possible to clean this easily. Should be no problem while riding in dry weather anyway.

There are different models of the Paratrooper. Would like to have the X90 smile.png

http://www.montaguebikes.com/folding-mountain-bikes/

x90lg.jpg

x90-folded-large.jpg

Germany is not good country to compare for bike as price is very high there. I compared bianchi bike & noticed that its price is 30% higher than thailand.

One of my friend has paratrooper & he informed me that it's not good idea to have this bike as the 1st bike (he has 13 others) but ok to have it as collection. Cost him 800us$

Germany is not good country to compare for bike as price is very high there.

That is not generally true. I travel to Germany periodically and the prices for quality bicycles there vary quite a bit. Brands from Asia or the USA are indeed more expensive, but the bikes made in Germany/Europe are not. It also depends on the retailer, since there are some large players that offer special deals. Another phenomenon is that you often find significant reductions on older and discontinued models, say a 2012 or 2011 brand name bike, that still costs the same in Asia. Besides, Germany has some quality manufacturers, especially in the high-end segment, that hardly anyone outside Germany knows about.

Cheers, CM-Expat

• Like 1