Torrents on Mac

GooEng

I'm new to this way of getting media, but just loaded Transmission and am getting good results.

Easy to use, nice interface. Getting the torrents from kickasstorrents.

anyone got any recommendations/observations about torrenting?

(is this a legitimate thing to discuss on here?)

Of course this is legal to discuss if you're downloading public domain files. And lately moderators link to torrent sites themselves.

Good torrent clients for OSX are: Utorrent and Vuze. Transmission is a little limited in its features and settings, but if it works correct for you, keep using it.

Vuze also allows you to use it as a media server. As a downloader of poems, I use different methods like torrents, file hosts and Usenet. Usenet (although not free as torrents) is by far best because of it's full speed downloads.

It seems that True and other providers inThailand throttle the speed of torrents. A VPN may speed up this. If you get get your hand on a private torrent tracker (almost no 'fakes' and better speeds), take it. Another useful tool (if you download older poems with few seeders) is a NAS (Goooogle!). You can download 24 hours a day without having your computer on all the time.

24 hours a day .. can you imagine the number of poems a day?

Edited by sniffdog
  • Like 1

i have seen VUZE before and might consider it in future but just getting started at the mo. transmission proved up to the task and through a kickass torrent i managed to download a 2.2GB file over 3G yesterday in about 2 hours which impressed me.

http://www.transmissionbt.com/

nothing better ! no fanzy shit ... no buttons ... just the essentials, easy to control via web, no slowing down GUI noone needs.

i have it running on my appletv so i do not need to keep my imac on for this reason ... since i do seed a number of Firmware updates for hardwares and Open Source Linux distributions.

works great since years.

• Like 2

http://www.transmissionbt.com/

nothing better ! no fanzy shit ... no buttons ... just the essentials, easy to control via web, no slowing down GUI noone needs.

i have it running on my appletv so i do not need to keep my imac on for this reason ... since i do seed a number of Firmware updates for hardwares and Open Source Linux distributions.

works great since years.

thats very much the impression i got - no frills and none needed. ideal for those, like myself, who prefer that sort of approach to the full bells&whistles.

i had a look at utorrent and loaded it first, but found it a bit fussy.

• 2 weeks later...