stop using my wifi

zoolander

Unplug it. Or if wanting just to turn of the Wifi portion you will need to go into the router setup menu and disable the Wifi portion and then hook your computer and router via Ethernet. If someone else is using your Wifi connection then you must have the router set to send an open/unencrypted signal (you should be using WPA2 encryption) or that some one knows your Wifi conneciton passphrase/password/PIN...change it.

How does the OP know if other devices are using it?

When the 3BB lads installed my modem, they asked for my preferred SSID and password. If you have done a reset on the modem, the wifi will be open until, as pointed out above, you go into the setup and protect it again.

Sorry I know this is not related but I don't know how to start a new post, anyhow can I buy wifi from any company for my ipad with no sim, I know I can connect to someone else but I want my own for when I am away.

You'll need to access the UI of the modem/router/WiFi AP device. This may require a username and/or password.

First thing I'd do is change the default password, from "admin". wink.png

Then disable any sort of remote (WAN or WiFi) management access. Then maybe stop broadcasting your SSID, then insure you are using some sort of WiFi security protocol, then set-up fixed IP address for your devices by MAC address, then block any unknown MAC addresses - not that they should be able to get in.

Change the SSID every month, change the device password every month, change the WiFi security pass-code every month.

Sorry I know this is not related but I don't know how to start a new post, anyhow can I buy wifi from any company for my ipad with no sim, I know I can connect to someone else but I want my own for when I am away.

3BB and True WiFi are the two biggest WiFi service providers here. You can purchase services. That said, many services are supported by SMS, so it helps to have a phone - not necessarily your iPad, which can receive SMSes.

3BB is affiliated with AIS so you may be able to get complementary or discounted services if you are an existing AIS customer. And the same goes for True WiFi is you are a TrueMove (H) customer.

http://wifi.3bb.co.th/

http://wifi.3bbwifi.com/packages

http://www.truewifi.net/2011/index.htm

http://www.truewifi.net/2011/buy_wifi.htm

3BB and True WiFi are the two biggest WiFi service providers here. You can purchase services. That said, many services are supported by SMS, so it helps to have a phone - not necessarily your iPad, which can receive SMSes.

3BB is affiliated with AIS so you may be able to get complementary or discounted services if you are an existing AIS customer. And the same goes for True WiFi is you are a TrueMove (H) customer.

http://wifi.3bb.co.th/. Thanks for that will check it out

http://wifi.3bbwifi.com/packages

http://www.truewifi.net/2011/index.htm

http://www.truewifi.net/2011/buy_wifi.htm

I answered your question in the 'Apple Store Thailand'. Please stop cross posting by posting the same question in different threads of other people. Just select new topic and make your own thread.

And that applies to the OP too.

Edited by sniffdog

There's any number of ways to get around all the precautionary setup instructions that have been mentioned here but the most useful, in my experience, are

1. Setting up the router to stop broadcasting its SSID and

2. Setting it up do that only specific MAC addresses can connect to it.

Even these won't stop someone determined to get free wi-fi but they will stop 99.9% of those who try.

Of course, the best way is to stop using wireless altogether but don't think an ethernet cable will fit my iPhone 5 biggrin.png

many many thanks for the replies

it was easy to access my 3bb router..............i looked on the internet and the 3bb website confirmed the username is admin and password 3bb. all public information.

anyway, i would like to block the device using mac address. i downloaded wireless network watcher (thank you) and got the details of the mac address i would like to block.

Accessing the 3bb router software i went to Interface Setup/Wireless/Wireless MAC Address Filter. I activated the Wireless MAC Address Filter then inputted the MAC address of the device and chose Deny Association. But i got a message saying MAC address invalid.

Any ideas..............

I should have explained before that the wifi is in a bar and is for our customers. however the staff tend to use the wifi and not attend to the customers. its the staff devices i wish to block.

many thanks

Could just be the format you used?

You may wish to change the password from "3bb". ;) Otherwise all your efforts may go for naught.

The standard (IEEE 802) format for printing MAC-48 addresses in human-friendly form is six groups of two hexadecimal digits, separated by hyphens (-) or colons (:), in transmission order (e.g. 01-23-45-67-89-ab or 01:23:45:67:89:ab ).

What is the brand/model of your router? Can you find a user's guide on line? A user's guide should detail how to block/allow devices via MAC address.

Every router is different re: MAC address "filtering". Some allow you to view a table of connected devices, and then allow or block those, others allow you to build a table. Maybe just take each employees device, log in, then block that device. Rinse/repeat.

I answered your question in the 'Apple Store Thailand'. Please stop cross posting by posting the same question in different threads of other people. Just select new topic and make your own thread.

And that applies to the OP too.

Says the bloke who brought a thread about Roku and Apple TV in the US TV thread over to one about secure browsing on Macs?

Maybe you should try following your own advice pal.

rolleyes.gif

I should have explained before that the wifi is in a bar and is for our customers. however the staff tend to use the wifi and not attend to the customers. its the staff devices i wish to block.

They'll probably only use 3G instead.

If them skiving off is the issue, why don't you just ban them from using mobile devices at work?

Edited by Chicog

You only need to do one thing: Enable WPA2 encryption and use a long random password. Bullet proof.

MAC address filtering is useless because they are trivial to change (its a one line command) and *you* will be broadcasting a MAC address that is not filtered. Trying to hide your SSID slows things down but again it doesn't actually *hide* it from anyone that knows how to look because it is broadcast from time to time (for example when someone associates with the network).

If you *don't* enable the encryption then even with MAC/SSID precautions you are are broadcasting much of what you do to anyone that is listening and you are also open to hijacking and a wide range of other attacks, which are more common that you might think. Why take the risk? Turn on WPA2 and forget about it.

Edit: Make that two things: As someone said above, its a rather good idea to change your router's admin password and disable remote admin.

Edited by Crushdepth

You only need to do one thing: Enable WPA2 encryption and use a long random password. Bullet proof.

MAC address filtering is useless because they are trivial to change (its a one line command) and *you* will be broadcasting a MAC address that is not filtered. Trying to hide your SSID slows things down but again it doesn't actually *hide* it from anyone that knows how to look because it is broadcast from time to time (for example when someone associates with the network).

If you *don't* enable the encryption then even with MAC/SSID precautions you are are broadcasting much of what you do to anyone that is listening and you are also open to hijacking and a wide range of other attacks, which are more common that you might think. Why take the risk? Turn on WPA2 and forget about it.

Edit: Make that two things: As someone said above, its a rather good idea to change your router's admin password and disable remote admin.

Anyone using something like Backtrack can discover your WPA2-encrypted password in the same way anyone using a MAC spoofer can pretend to have the MAC address of any of your permitted devices.

Anyone using something like Backtrack can discover your WPA2-encrypted password in the same way anyone using a MAC spoofer can pretend to have the MAC address of any of your permitted devices.

Not if you've used a long random key, which will prevent dictionary attacks and brute force searching.