Cigarette Smoke In Pattaya - City of Smokers

morrobay

Some one needs to do some research, smoking is way down the list as a cause of cancer.

Other problems also.

Don't believe me Look It Up. Cigeretts are one of the things that are easiest to legistate, tax, control and blame.

I quit smoking years ago, but have kept up with studies just coming to fluition, look around you, hydrocarbons, chemicals, cause almost 80% of the health problems world wide. Agian check it out!

Be happy you live in an enviroment that has a fairly good breeze most of the time that disperses the polutants. Don't blame the cigerete companies or smokers. If you don't like smokers move away, go ourside where the pollution is worse, like the smokers do.

• Like 1

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually have noticed smoking amongst expats is way down. Went into a smoky pub the other night - but no smell? Turns out they had a smoke machine for the DJ - party on. 40 - 50 farangs, not one smoker.

Also, only smoker in Jamesons one night recently, was heading outside for a fag (and a cigarette! ;-))

That is a rare thing. I stopped going in there a long time a go because that was the only bar that allowed smoking. Best thing I ever did

Some one needs to do some research, smoking is way down the list as a cause of cancer.Other problems also.Don't believe me Look It Up. Cigeretts are one of the things that are easiest to legistate, tax, control and blame.I quit smoking years ago, but have kept up with studies just coming to fluition, look around you, hydrocarbons, chemicals, cause almost 80% of the health problems world wide. Agian check it out!Be happy you live in an enviroment that has a fairly good breeze most of the time that disperses the polutants. Don't blame the cigerete companies or smokers. If you don't like smokers move away, go ourside where the pollution is worse, like the smokers do.

The preceding was brought to you courtesy of the American Tobacco Association.

We haven't yet established the location where we smokers (or occasional smokers such as myself) can cause maximum annoyance, legally of course. Now, where might that be? Perhaps we can arrange a flashmob to converge on the site.

My question to smokers is, how does it feel to be too weak to quit. I smoked non-filters for 20 + years. I certainly know it is not easy to quit. I also know that about 90% of smokers secretly admit to not enjoying smoking or the addiction it manifests.

Batman move over - I've got a new hero

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There's nobody more self-righteous than a reformed smoker.

As a now 2 month quitter, after 20 years of it, yup,I largely didn't like the last few years of smoking.

Maybe that's part of the process of getting ready to quit. Ceasing to enjoy it enough

It could have been worse , most people smoking in Pattaya today are not aware of the health risks, especially Russian tourists , they are 20 years behind the rest of the western world.

And Thais just dont care that much , mai pen rai .

I quit smoking when I was 30 , because I knew it was bad for my health . Never looked back.

Edited by balo

The OP does have a point though, particularly when the offending smoker is obese, covered in tattoos, wearing a wife-beater that shows underarm hair you could platt, grungy shorts with one ball hanging out, black socks, crocks, and swigging on a large Chang. blink.png

I know. For Gawd's sake, at least put the Chang in a paper bag.

From what I have observed, the more refined Pattaya residents are sucking it through a straw.

Usually spotted on Beach Rd puffing away on cheapo Cambodian cigarettes.

• Like 1

The OP does have a point though, particularly when the offending smoker is obese, covered in tattoos, wearing a wife-beater that shows underarm hair you could platt, grungy shorts with one ball hanging out, black socks, crocks, and swigging on a large Chang. blink.png

Given that lovely word picture with the added attraction of the charmer probably neither bathing regularly nor owning more than the one change of clothes, a cloud of cigarette smoke engulfing him might not be such a bad thing.

Here's a solution: let the bar and restaurant owners decide whether their establishment will be smoking or non-smoking, post the choice prominently on the entrance, and then enforce the rules with vigor.

So there will be a fine for people who enter a smoking allowed establishment and not smoke?

I remember several years back when they passed the non-smoking rules. For a few months the bars and go gos seemed to actually follow it. I thought it was great. Now, you sit in a place under the no-smoking sign and of course many people are smoking.

The bars & go gos wisend up to the fact, the people who live here full time actually put more money into their tills than the 2 week millionaires do.

The demographics of Pattaya are changing, learn some Russian or be left behind.

Here's a solution: let the bar and restaurant owners decide whether their establishment will be smoking or non-smoking, post the choice prominently on the entrance, and then enforce the rules with vigor.

So there will be a fine for people who enter a smoking allowed establishment and not smoke?

Sigh....

Stuffed if I know why the OP would go to Pattaya if he wants to avoid smokers - I loathe the habit with a passion, but given that this is a city where almost anything goes (for a price), you have to take the good with the bad. If I want to live in a nanny state, I'll park my aging carcass in Canberra and be done with it.

• Like 1

quote "I do enjoy lighting up a good cigar now and then, one of life's great pleasures." The habit would exclude you from the greater physical pleasures, and reduce the length of your life in enjoying that particular vice.

quote "Get used that wonderful aroma"..I think "nauseating" is the adjective 99.99% would use.

quote "I do enjoy lighting up a good cigar now and then, one of life's great pleasures." The habit would exclude you from the greater physical pleasures, and reduce the length of your life in enjoying that particular vice.

Nope, the occasional cigar is quite harmless. I've had no problems at all enjoying other physical pleasures. smile.png I diet and exercise religiously, my numbers are all great, so I figure I'm good to my early 80s--at which point I'll be ready to meet The King--Elvis--and sit at His blue suede shoes.

quote "Get used that wonderful aroma"..I think "nauseating" is the adjective 99.99% would use.

Merely the brainwashing of the anti-smoking lobby. When you're back home, hit a cigar bar, and sit back with a fine stogie (better make it a "mild") and a single malt. Ah! That'll enlighten you! smile.png

Cigar forum to help get you started: http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/general-cigar-discussion/

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 2

Nope, the occasional cigar is quite harmless. I've had no problems at all enjoying other physical pleasures. smile.png I diet and exercise religiously, my numbers are all great, so I figure I'm good to my early 80s--at which point I'll be ready to meet The King--Elvis--and sit at His blue suede shoes.

Merely the brainwashing of the anti-smoking lobby. When you're back home, hit a cigar bar, and sit back with a fine stogie (better make it a "mild") and a single malt. Ah! That'll enlighten you! smile.png

Cigar forum to help get you started: http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/general-cigar-discussion/

Now now JS, thats bit a bit below the belt, have a look at some of Pattayas finest found littering Beach Rd Chang in hand, they dont look as if they can afford a good meal never mind cigars and single malts.

Personally I would rather enjoy the smell of a good cigar than the fetid breath or rancid body odour of some wandering these shores.

Jeez these girls deserve every penny they earn given what they have to endure.

As for the single malt, I am partial to a drop of The Macallan.

• Like 2

Personally I would rather enjoy the smell of a good cigar than the fetid breath or rancid body odour of some wandering these shores.

How about Option C : neither ? Personally, I dont get close enough to the people you are describing to detect their (alleged) stench, but then I avoid Beach Rd and Walking St like the plague. Ironic that this is what many of the haters have decided 'Pattaya' is - all I can say is that you can avoid both and still have a great time in Patts.

The only tobacco I have ever considered 'fragrant' is Amphora pipe tobacco, and I haven't seen anyone smoking a pipe in public for decades. One of the ironies back in the 80s - when it seemed like 90% of the Australian adult population smoked - was that someone would light a pipe to a chorus of 'That stinks !' from cigarette smokers - for a 'personal freedom' brigade, that struck me as seriously hypocritical. Thai bars have two major advantages over many in Oz : they are usually open air and bar staff are usually quick to empty ashtrays.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?TID=1063

• Like 1

Now now JS, thats bit a bit below the belt, have a look at some of Pattayas finest found littering Beach Rd Chang in hand, they dont look as if they can afford a good meal never mind cigars and single malts.

Funny, and very true.

Jeez these girls deserve every penny they earn given what they have to endure.

The scent of a good cigar is enjoyable in its own right. Let's call it perfume. Not many being smoked around town, however. I see cigar smokers outside Starbucks on occasion and, rarely now, in the Tahitian Queen (TQ). TQ used to sell cigars, but I don't know if they still do.

As for the single malt, I am partial to a drop of The Macallan.

Why did you have to invoke that nectar? Now I've got to go pick up a bottle; Christmas coming up!

In my last visit to a cigar bar in the States I had my first drop of Auchentoshan. It was SO good. Can't see how a man would deprive himself of one of the world's great pleasures. smile.png

The thing about cigars and pipes is that they are generally reserved for those occasions when smokers have the time to smoke them - particularly in the case of the pipe. Modern addicts have no interest in spending that much time getting their fix.

Large populations are mere couch potatoes and can enjoy while they watch TV or surf the 'net.

But, yes, there's the matter of addiction and its imperatives. Trick is not to go overboard--as with so many other things. I don't consider myself an addict, except with regard to my gf. ;)

The habit would . . . reduce the length of your life in enjoying that particular vice.

This just in:

Oldest Living Veteran [107] Cites Whiskey, Cigars, 'Staying Out Of Trouble' As Key To Longevity

--http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/11/richard-overton-veteran_n_4252116.html

Now to stay out of trouble. In Pattaya. Hmmm . . . .