Image Manipulation Or Image Enhancing is Same?

We all know about Image manipulation what is used for manipulating the images for better result. On the other hand image enhancing is same with image manipulation or not another term for optimizing an image. I guess those are same but there are so many posts in turnaround I have found differences between into to mention the word.

yes.. for me, image manipulation & enhancing are two different things.

eg....

making a fat person thin, or lengthening a tree or someone's leg is manipulation

altering skin tone to a face or tweeking the hue of a sky is enhancement

i guess both could come under the umbrella of optimizing.

Since I'm just back from the PI where I did 3 different jobs: video cameraman, stills cameraman

and photo-editor...here's the industry definition of the question in a nutshell.

Image Manipulation: Altering the image sush as removing a face, adding a face, adding

extra people or scenery (back & fore), taking someone elses image & altering it so as to

make it look like you took the shot...etc...etc. Do any of these plus a plethora of others

and get caught...you will never work in the buisness again for anybody at any time.

Image Enhancement...Done very regularly by everybody. Lifting shadows, altering colours,

shifting depth of field, adding/subtracting gain (noise)...the list goes on...BUT...the big

difference is that the original image content is still available in the enhanced image.

And easily verifyable by a look at the storage medium used by the photog.

Field photo-editor...the first <deleted> a photog deals with when the photog submits

what he/she thinks is a great shot.

Agency photo-editor...God.

• Like 1

Image Manipulation: Altering the image sush as removing a face, adding a face, adding

extra people or scenery (back & fore), taking someone elses image & altering it so as to

make it look like you took the shot...etc...etc. Do any of these plus a plethora of others

and get caught...you will never work in the buisness again for anybody at any time.

Image Enhancement...Done very regularly by everybody. Lifting shadows, altering colours,

shifting depth of field, adding/subtracting gain (noise)...the list goes on...BUT...the big

difference is that the original image content is still available in the enhanced image.

And easily verifyable by a look at the storage medium used by the photog.

yep...expanded, but pretty much my definition between the 2... wink.pngthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

HI there

I am not so familiar with the image manipulation.I have only tried a free trial from an Image Processing Add-on which offers easy-to-use APIs to edit and manipulate image file in .NET class applications.

It is powerful enough but it is so expensive for me.And i can only use their free trial for a week.So is there any free image manipulation program?Thanks for any suggestions.

^^^ @ abigail111....

What do you want to do exactly? Your question is very vague.

Please explain in more detail & we may be able to help you

out.

Yes, I hesitated on answering this, because it is not clear.....

Just to enhance images, and do a certain amount of manipulation, Picasa is good and it's free! (for both PC and Macs)

But not to add things like Bin Landen to a group photo! tongue.png

• Like 2

To manipulate something you alter/change it from its original form.

So to enhance something is to manipulate/change it.

Not quite true....please read post #8 of this thread/page for reference of the definitions.

^^^ @ abigail111....

What do you want to do exactly? Your question is very vague.

Please explain in more detail & we may be able to help you

out.

Yes, I hesitated on answering this, because it is not clear.....

Just to enhance images, and do a certain amount of manipulation, Picasa is good and it's free! (for both PC and Macs)

But not to add things like Bin Landen to a group photo! tongue.png

Gimp, also referred to as the Photoshop alternative and is free is a good choice for both techniques in this OP. This is a free packaged version called Gimpshop Here is the gimp.org but some reason I can't access it but maybe others can. Also Gimp Wiki

Certainly the most powerful free app you can get, but with power comes a learning curve. smile.png

Regarding Gimpshop (wiki):

GIMPshop was a modification of the free and open source graphics program GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP), with the intent to replicate the feel of Adobe Photoshop.[1] Its primary purpose was to make users of Photoshop feel comfortable using GIMP. According to the developer:

My original purpose for GIMPshop was to make the GIMP accessible to the many Adobe Photoshop users out there. I hope I’ve done that. And maybe along the way, I can convert a Photoshop pirate into a GIMP user.[2]

• Like 2