Fireworks

watgate

So I know the fireworks will die down after Loy Kratong but I was wondering why the fascination and seeming obsession for fireworks by the Thais during this celebration. Is it because of an ingrained culture, the thrill of the explosions, the need to eventually cause impairment or loss of ones hearing. I would like to get some other opinions as to why fireworks are so prevalent into the wee hours of the morning by the Thais.

The earliest documentation of fireworks dates back to 7th century China, where they were invented. The heavy Chinese influence and cultural ties with Thailand, especially in the north, would be a possible reason for Thai facination with fireworks. That said, as a young lad I was quite facinated by them also. And I have no ties to China.

As for why so at the " wee hours ". One word.. Alcohol

They were still at it a 5am this morning as I rose to get ready for work. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

The village I lived in north of Chiang Mai city, would set off loud exploding rockets when someone passed away.

I've assumed it's to scare away the evil spirits.

Sure worked with me!

However, I sure enjoyed them as a kid, until they were banned and now they're only seen and heard at public displays in Australia. Must have saved many fingers and eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

Had tinnitus and hearing loss since 1996--both conditions are getting worse and worse--along with soi dogs loud noise and my inability to do most night related things are the 2 main reasons I DON"T move to Thailand...too sad :-(---------------------

not too many quiet places here. Even sitting in a restaurant, they have to have the TV turned up, blaring forth and no-one watching.

builders normally work 7 days a week, start at 7am.

no dog laws

Definitely not a quiet place,

Quiet where I live, in the city. Noise woke me this morning though -very heavy rain.

Like many condos, building work hours are restricted-and enforced. Many restaurants dont have tv's, and many who do dont have them blaring. But enough restaurants here that if you dont like the blaring tv-go elsewhere.

As for noisy dogs, Spain is far worse than Thailand!