Entry to British consulate

Screen shot of last page after going through steps starting here. https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Even though it says apply in person, you can post the form and documents to BKK - a friend applied 2 weeks ago for his sons first passport

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

That post was in reply to a person stating it had to be sent to HK.

I can recall other posts about mailing to embassy but it might depend upon if the birth had already been registered at the embassy.

ubonjoe,

Registering the birth at the British embassy is voluntary; not a requirement.

Doing so does not replace the Thai registration.

Register a birth abroad.

I was not referring to it in relation to Thai birth certificate.

If the birth has been registered and a consular certificate of birth has been issued it changes the first passport application documents required significantly.

See: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/213953/form-c2-notes.pdf

Edited by ubonjoe

No, it doesn't.

Guidance notes for child applicants*

The only difference is that if using a Thai birth certificate the British parents long form birth certificate (or naturalisation/registration certificate) is also required; but not if using a consular birth registration certificate.

This is because to get the consular birth registration certificate in the first place the British parent's long form birth certificate or naturalisation/registration certificate was required!

Hardly a significant difference, is it?

As the Thai birth certificate, with a certified translation, is acceptable for all purposes in the UK I can see no point in paying to register the birth at the embassy.

But if people want to give the British government a gift of £105 for the registration plus another £65 if they want a copy of the certificate, that's up to them.

*I see that while I was typing you added a link to these same guidance notes.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1