Civil War in Thailand? Anyone else afraid?

ricku

They'll bicker on for years. But as far as central and northern Thais are concerned, they've got more in common than not. There's always a 'middle path'. There's probably more of a divide in the south, based on religion not politics.

One thing that will unite the south, and I mean all the south. Is their hatred of all things Shinawatra, especially the one "in exile".

Did you know the Thai word for South is Thaksin? laugh.png

No the thai word for south isn't thaksin. It's tai pronounced without the "H" in thai. There's a popular saying khun tai jai dum as in southern people have black hearts.

• Like 1

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look around us....... Cambodia is run by a thug, Hue Sen,Burma is controlled by the military and Laos is a communist state .I reckon we are doing pretty well smile.png

I don't expect any problems until the "reds" are let of the leash !

It's funny when you put it that way because then you realize that Thailand is all of the above combined.. :D

• Like 1

Sure, but they are much more educated now and can also examine the function and rules of government in other countries versus their own and are more willing to challenge the caste system than in 1928.

The most dramatic changed occurred as a result of, "The Cultural Mandates or State Decrees (Thai: รัฐนิยม; RTGS: ratthaniyom; literally 'State fashion' or 'State customs') were a series of 12 edicts issued between 1939 and 1942."

They made anything that has happened before or since seem mild.

Look around us....... Cambodia is run by a thug, Hue Sen,Burma is controlled by the military and Laos is a communist state .I reckon we are doing pretty well smile.png

I don't expect any problems until the "reds" are let of the leash !

It's funny when you put it that way because then you realize that Thailand is all of the above combined.. biggrin.png

Almost, you forgot, TRYING TO BE. biggrin.png

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1