Civil War in Thailand? Anyone else afraid?

ricku

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yawn.. up here in Isaan we will just watch it on TV if it happens

Haha. You think if the army comes in, those up in isaan won't fight them up country? Burn down a few city halls and the rest.

The biggest potential Areas that could blow up is isaan

I don't know all of Isaan, but the guys around here just stoically accept whatever is thrown at them. They are not really conscious of what the fat cats are doing down there in Bangkok.

If you dont think that they are aware of the rice subsidy, you havent been listening!

• Like 1

Haha. You think if the army comes in, those up in isaan won't fight them up country? Burn down a few city halls and the rest.

I don't know all of Isaan, but the guys around here just stoically accept whatever is thrown at them. They are not really conscious of what the fat cats are doing down there in Bangkok.

Well I don't know which bit of isaan you are in but wherever I've been is red through and through.

exactly! it aint the thais that are not conscious, it seems.

Well I don't know which bit of isaan you are in but wherever I've been is red through and through.

What would scare me would be the army going up against red shirts in the north or north east.

God knows where that would end.

Edited by Thai at Heart

They'll bicker on for years. But as far as central and northern Thais are concerned, they've got more in common than not. There's always a 'middle path'. There's probably more of a divide in the south, based on religion not politics.

One thing that will unite the south, and I mean all the south. Is their hatred of all things Shinawatra, especially the one "in exile".

What would scare me would be the army going up against red shirts in the north or north east.

God knows where that would end.

a bloodbath

What concerns me is that in the past an army coup has been the "traditional" way of resolving political conflict. Thaksin has reshuffled the senior army officials to make sure he has strong support at the top. He's even gone as far as to appoint his sister as Defence Minister. A coup thus is more difficult, and civil war a higher possibility.

• Like 1

If you dont think that they are aware of the rice subsidy, you havent been listening!

We are in full rice harvest right now. I can assure that nobody CARES about the rice subsidy, although they are vaguely aware that the small farmer is not profiting from this scheme. They are not worried about the fact that the storage space is running out, they say 'the Chinese will buy, like always'.

I assure that I have been listening, Beetlejuice above has the most astute response as far as I can see.

• Like 1

lol! they are all aware that they are getting more for their rice than they were before. and they know why!

Trouble is they are NOT getting more for their rice. Last I heard was 14K baht a ton for khow homalee, whereas they are supposed to be getting 20K a ton. The rice millers and middlemen who are ripping off the scheme need to be very careful or they might find themselves hanging from lampposts one day. And how many tens of thousands of tons of Vietnamese and Cambodian rice has been smuggled into the Country in order to get the inflated price? Nobody knows.

• Like 2

lol! they are all aware that they are getting more for their rice than they were before. and they know why!

Trouble is they are NOT getting more for their rice. Last I heard was 14K baht a ton for khow homalee, whereas they are supposed to be getting 20K a ton. The rice millers and middlemen who are ripping off the scheme need to be very careful or they might find themselves hanging from lampposts one day. And how many tens of thousands of tons of Vietnamese and Cambodian rice has been smuggled into the Country in order to get the inflated price? Nobody knows.

lol! the year before it began, they were getting 8k. who said they should be getting 20K ?