Bangkok bus authority makes buses safe to travel for women and girls

webfact

Bangkok bus authority makes buses safe to travel for women and girls
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) joins the global effort 'Orange your Journey' to combat sexual harassment against women and girls on its 3,509 public buses, the UN Women announced Wednesday.

The UN Women, which is shortened for the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women, said the BMTA joins the campaign by training its staff on techniques to deal with incidents, encouraging passengers to not accept and speak out and preventing them.

The BMTA has identified seven forms of sexual harassment prevailing on public buses: unexpected touching, taking liberties, rubbing with private parts, indecent exposure, staring, making passes and pestering, according to the press release from the UN Women.

This harassment can be more likely when buses are congested and so encouraging passengers to be vigilant and to know how to intervene to prevent these assaults is important for the BMTA.

Serving three million commuters per day, the BMTA and the Teeranat Kanjanauksorn Foundation have worked on the "Pineapple Eyes" project to provide BMTA staff with a better understanding of sexual harassment and tools to address it. Through this partnership, 500 of 14,000 BMTA’s staff at eight bus districts in Bangkok and its vicinity have received training.

From Wednesday, the BMTA will continue this work in commemorating the International day for the Elimination of Violence against Women when it joins with UN Women and the Teeranart Kanjanauksorn Foundation to raise awareness for preventing sexual assaults on public buses, in support of the UN Secretary-General's UNiTE Campaign to End Violence against Women.

The BMTA will also release some 10,000 stickers, pamphlets and video clips to help effort to end sexual taunts. As a result of this outreach "Bus drivers and conductors, who are at the frontlines, will be better equipped with deeper understanding and practical techniques to ensure safety of all women travellers," BMTA Director Opas Petchmunee said.

One main priority of UN Women which works to secure gender equality and the advancement is ending all forms of violence against women and girls. "Ensuring that public spaces are safe is especially important for women's access to their human rights," said Roberta Clarke, Regional Director of UN Women Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific and Representative in Thailand.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-20

The fact is, making it an us against them issue will never solve anything, and rather instead built resentment and bitterness and further the gap between the genders. If they aren't going to give a hoot about teaching kids respect at an early age, then they shouldn't expect full grown adults to put up with these biased, one-sided and skewed interpretations of "rights violations" You can't convince me that these organizations do not harbor some sort of bitterness and resentment against the perpetrators themselves over past issues, and make it a career of getting back at the ones who hurt them.

The reason for that last comment is the lop-sided marketing campaign to smear men (through strong implication) and exonerate women, without ever reaching out to men and offering them a chance to be heard and to provide them with the tools to reconcile with the feminine gender. Moreover, to tell the feminine gender to help out and work with the men instead of sitting back and expecting the government to train these "men", or else. Have they ever tried? No.

Is there any place where a man can go to get help from a nit-picking, nagging, scorning woman, and get mediation? No! There is not. It is almost as if this system is designed to cause disruption in relationships so that they can protect the woman and condemn the man. I am simply throwing out an opinion here. I am absolutely against violence against women, but it all does not stop at physical violence or harm. To suggest that it does is ludicrous and manipulative of the both genders.

Until the time I see equal consideration given towards both genders and equal opportunities for both to reconcile, instead of building walls through "rights" which single out one gender (you'd better behave or else), then here is my proposal:

As there seem to be more than enough buses going in the same direction at all times of the day, why not just have pink and blue buses and have done with it?

Next; let's paint stripes down the middle of foot paths and have the men on one side and the women on the other, and have everyone wear blinders so someone doesn't get "looked" at inappropriately.

The stupidity and ignorant bias will never end if this approach continues.

• Like 2

How many problems have they actually had that can be addressed in crowded, hot buses. Not uncommon for law makers to draft a feel good law that does not actually do very much other than PR. I could make an un-informed guess that more people have been injured/killed on city busses in the last year than have been "Pestered" in a bus. Making bus travel Physically safe would be a much better effort, increasing the numbers of busses to reduce crowding and using air-con busses would go a long way in reducing physical contact between all sexes. And yes preditors could ride in comfort.......

The fact of the matter is that when you are sat on a packed bus, dozens of people may rub themselves against you due to being pushed around by people trying to get in and out and by the driver jerking the bus etc etc. It really is rather annoying. I have had to ask people many times to please stop rubbing their bits against me as it is unwelcome. The solution is to have more busses during bad traffic times so they aren't as crowded and to have them go shorter distances so that bad traffic 20km away will not affect the local service.

oh yeah, now Western feminist bureaucracy promote there leftist values even in Thailand. So all men and boys should look at the floor not to be accused in "staring"

the only hope is Thais will follow these rules the same way they follow all other ridiculous Western ideas

commonsense vs leftist propaganda

The faster Thais and other Asian nations will understand that Western feminism and multiculturalism is a deadlock the better for them.

Staring???????

I was started getting offended by someone staring at me on the train once. Easy for it to make you feel uncomfortable. You never know whether the person staring is a psychopath, trying to initiate a conversation, or blind.

Could have been that big booger flopping up and down every time you inhaled.

Excuse my ignorance, but do women really have problems on Bangkok buses? I would have thought they were amongst the safest in the world for women to travel on.

That may be true to an extent but given that Thai womens NGOs have been campaigning for greater safety on public transport given that incidents of sexual harassment have taken place then obviously they believe it is an issue. That fact should be acknowledged and accepted

Obviously, it occurs daily in one form or another - as it does anywhere in the world - and most western men would only hear or read about the more serious incidents. There has been much discussion in the thai forums in the last few years in the context of overcrowding on the metros (BTS & MRT) with some women reporting incidents of sexual harassment. There are many examples which have been posted.

On the bus front, I'd suggest that it is fair to say that if you are not a daily bus rider and not a Thai women then well yes most of us men would be ignorant on the issue.

• Like 1

The fact is, making it an us against them issue will never solve anything, and rather instead built resentment and bitterness and further the gap between the genders. If they aren't going to give a hoot about teaching kids respect at an early age, then they shouldn't expect full grown adults to put up with these biased, one-sided and skewed interpretations of "rights violations" You can't convince me that these organizations do not harbor some sort of bitterness and resentment against the perpetrators themselves over past issues, and make it a career of getting back at the ones who hurt them.

The reason for that last comment is the lop-sided marketing campaign to smear men (through strong implication) and exonerate women, without ever reaching out to men and offering them a chance to be heard and to provide them with the tools to reconcile with the feminine gender. Moreover, to tell the feminine gender to help out and work with the men instead of sitting back and expecting the government to train these "men", or else. Have they ever tried? No.

Is there any place where a man can go to get help from a nit-picking, nagging, scorning woman, and get mediation? No! There is not. It is almost as if this system is designed to cause disruption in relationships so that they can protect the woman and condemn the man. I am simply throwing out an opinion here. I am absolutely against violence against women, but it all does not stop at physical violence or harm. To suggest that it does is ludicrous and manipulative of the both genders.

Until the time I see equal consideration given towards both genders and equal opportunities for both to reconcile, instead of building walls through "rights" which single out one gender (you'd better behave or else), then here is my proposal:

As there seem to be more than enough buses going in the same direction at all times of the day, why not just have pink and blue buses and have done with it?

Next; let's paint stripes down the middle of foot paths and have the men on one side and the women on the other, and have everyone wear blinders so someone doesn't get "looked" at inappropriately.

This is a very ludicrous post with some really seemingly bitter and twisted statements about issues which are completely unrelated. This is not the thin edge of the wedge of some war between the genders that you somehow seem to have interpreted it as in your seemingly ideologue rant.

It is very simple. Some women are subjected to sexual harassment on public transportation. (Most likely all women have experienced some form of sexual harassment on public transport at some time.)

One would think that is an easy matter of fact statement to accept. No more difficult to understand than a statement that some black Africans or some Indian experience discrimination in Thailand. It is an issue that some Thai womens NGOs have campaigned on for many years. There is now an international awareness campaign. Obviously, there are countries where it is much worse and there are some where it is better.

It is really pretty simple to understand even with the obvious UN language or Thai PR babble. No one is asking to separate the sexes or that boys and men have to stare at the floor. That is clearly an absurd over reaction. It is an awareness campaign to prevent and reduce sexual harassment

The BMTA says it will, "by training its staff on techniques to deal with incidents, encouraging passengers to not accept and speak out and preventing them." They acknowledge that it is taking place. Reportedly in the forms that the BMTA has identified, "unexpected touching, taking liberties, rubbing with private parts, indecent exposure, staring, making passes and pestering" as taking place.

I don't really don't see the problem with this and don't understand why you feel so threatened???

Most reasonable men acknowledge that acts of sexual harassment take place daily within all spheres of life, they don't try to deny it and hide in some extremist, illogical view. Anyone who has a daughter, female partner or female friend would surely welcome such a campaign as it might reduce the incidence of sexual harassment that they are subjected to. I see it all the time, honestly there are probably times when I even participate to an extent by checking out a beautiful women a tad too long thus making her feel uncomfortable. Even reading this made me reflect on that which is probably half of the intent of such a campaign.

And really at the end of the day, unless you are a women using public transport what would you really know? The whole thing about any form of harassment is that those who are in the majority of doing it, are hardly the best experts to offer an an accurate, objective view on the subject. (which in this context is obviously overwhelming men, as yes some women do engage in sexual harassment as well), A bit like asking a white south African during apartheid to give an accurate view how a black south african experiences racial discrimination.

Talk to a few women and ask them their views and experiences.

• Like 1

Yes there is! I refer to it as the throne (AKA toilet) Read in peace!

unexpected touching, taking liberties, rubbing with private parts, indecent exposure, staring, making passes and pestering, according to the press release from the UN Women

that can be done to men also.

What about lady boys?

Hmm maybe this has happened before. I was once on the MRT and this young (ish) looking lady sat down beside me. She was a very attractive and has a tiny little shirt on. In all honesty all I could think of was "please don't get hard" "please don't get hard" But like the sad ending to every tail. She did :(

Make them safer for everyone on and off the bus by teaching them how to drive properly and politely first....

We can deal with the sexual harassment when they stop killing and injuring.....

I concur this certainly seems to be a bigger priority to all that travels the roads.

Of course they don't address this issue,

for the bus drivers will just ignore the topic,

and carry on with their business.

In Japan people are literally standing on each other feet,

and no one says a thing.

After all it was the passengers choice to get on that crowded bus.

What I see more & more in the past 13 years I've been residing here,

and more women are coming from the western world bring their ideas of what's priority,

and all that needs to be addressed in Thailand.

Instead of just enjoying what Thailand is all about...life takes care of itself,

and it doesn't need policing or in most cases fixing.

If you think it does,

then just move on to the next spot that suits you better...easy enough.

Now you notice, I didn't state go back to where you came from...like most like to state;

it's not my place.

If people would just spend as much time enjoying life,

as they do trying to fix things that are truly beyond their control.

The World would be a much better place IMO.

Not to mention all the more time you've have to deal with your own issues within yourself,

if you're truly interesting in fixing something.

The hardest thing in life to understand is yourself...was a famous phrase at one time.

Make them safer for everyone on and off the bus by teaching them how to drive properly and politely first....

I concur this certainly seems to be a bigger priority to all that travels the roads.

and no one says a thing. After all it was the passengers choice to get on that crowded bus.

and more women are coming from the western world bring their ideas of what's priority,

With the minimum of respect, a few things seem to be patently incorrect here.

Firstly, this is about Bangkok BMTA buses NOT Intercity or Tourist buses which are subject to accidents involving deaths. That is a clear and obvious distinction. One has nothing to do with the other.

Which is not to say that BMTA buses don't have minor accidents. The reality is that the only way you are going to die on a slow moving BKK bus is by getting caught up in a Technical School rivalry fight in the outer suburbs where you get shot or stabbed, and that would usually be on a no aircon bus. This happens a 2-3 times a year on average.

2ndly, if you knew much about Japan you would know that there are indeed endemic levels of sexual harassment on public transport, trains especially. Many women lodge complaints, 64% of women reported being groped or assaulted according to a 2005 study. The problem is much worse than in BKK. So severe that in 2000 women only carriages were first trialed and in 2005 introduced on 2 Toyo lines, one being the Saikyo line which was dubbed the "gropers line". Since then women only carriages have been expanded to other lines and to other cities such as Osaka. Obviously, it is more difficult to demaracte a womens only space ona bus but the problem is just as endemic,

Clearly you had no idea what you are talking about when you wrote "Japan people are literally standing on each other feet, and no one says a thing. After all it was the passengers choice to get on that crowded bus"

You are obviously an expert on this issue.....whistling.gif ! Ignorance in the google age is just plain stupidity, google sexual harassment in japan. (Your last line stating that it is a choice is especially lacking in thought - nice victim blaming there)

3rdly, the obvious inference in your assertion is that Thai women asking not to be sexually harassed or groped on buses is due to western women bringing "their ideas of what's (a) priority, and all that needs to be addressed in Thailand is patently laughable. Are you really saying that that Thai women didn't see this as a priority until somehow out of the west this unique idea came from their western sisters that being groped or sexually harassed on a bus was not to be tolerated?

Seriously, is that not a bizarre and paternalistic assertion to have?

Rape in marriage in Thailand was lawful until it was made a crime in mid 2007 (by the then coup appointed govt). Your assertion would probably be that it was only due to the influence of 'western women' thus negating the fact that Thai womens NGOs had campaigned for this change in law for some many decades! (Leaving aside the obvious that it was thai parliamentarians that drafted and passed the law)

• Like 1

and no one says a thing. After all it was the passengers choice to get on that crowded bus.

With the minimum of respect, a few things seem to be patently incorrect here.

Firstly, this is about Bangkok BMTA buses NOT Intercity or Tourist buses which are subject to accidents involving deaths. That is a clear and obvious distinction. One has nothing to do with the other.

Which is not to say that BMTA buses don't have minor accidents. The reality is that the only way you are going to die on a slow moving BKK bus is by getting caught up in a Technical School rivalry fight in the outer suburbs where you get shot or stabbed, and that would usually be on a no aircon bus. This happens a 2-3 times a year on average.

2ndly, if you knew much about Japan you would know that there are indeed endemic levels of sexual harassment on public transport, trains especially. Many women lodge complaints, 64% of women reported being groped or assaulted according to a 2005 study. The problem is much worse than in BKK. So severe that in 2000 women only carriages were first trialed and in 2005 introduced on 2 Toyo lines, one being the Saikyo line which was dubbed the "gropers line". Since then women only carriages have been expanded to other lines and to other cities such as Osaka. Obviously, it is more difficult to demaracte a womens only space ona bus but the problem is just as endemic,

Clearly you had no idea what you are talking about when you wrote "Japan people are literally standing on each other feet, and no one says a thing. After all it was the passengers choice to get on that crowded bus"

You are obviously an expert on this issue.....whistling.gif ! Ignorance in the google age is just plain stupidity, google sexual harassment in japan. (Your last line stating that it is a choice is especially lacking in thought - nice victim blaming there)

3rdly, the obvious inference in your assertion is that Thai women asking not to be sexually harassed or groped on buses is due to western women bringing "their ideas of what's (a) priority, and all that needs to be addressed in Thailand is patently laughable. Are you really saying that that Thai women didn't see this as a priority until somehow out of the west this unique idea came from their western sisters that being groped or sexually harassed on a bus was not to be tolerated?

Seriously, is that not a bizarre and paternalistic assertion to have?

Rape in marriage in Thailand was lawful until it was made a crime in mid 2007 (by the then coup appointed govt). Your assertion would probably be that it was only due to the influence of 'western women' thus negating the fact that Thai womens NGOs had campaigned for this change in law for some many decades! (Leaving aside the obvious that it was thai parliamentarians that drafted and passed the law)

And truth be told 91% of people who pull percentages out in their arguments with out posting a link or any type of proof just make it up. I am not one for riding busses but I do ride the MRT and BTS. Never have a seen anything like this.

And truth be told 91% of people who pull percentages out in their arguments with out posting a link or any type of proof just make it up. I am not one for riding busses but I do ride the MRT and BTS. Never have a seen anything like this.

Truth be told that 91% is often people too lazy to formulate a coherent argument relying on some facts that are relevant to the discussion. They thus base their opinions on subjectivity having never experienced the topic matter themselves.

However, in this case you could just google it if you have any doubts. You'll get a wealth of references quoting that % from that study - remember it was a Japanese context in which it was referred to in response to a ignorant statement about overcrowding in Japan.

Edited by Lakegeneve