Is Ipstar Much Better Now?

sleepyjohn

After being told Ipstar was lousy, and deciding it was not an option when I move into the sticks, I have since heard that the service has improved dramatically.

I have searched, and can't really find out much about this.

What are your personal experiences?

I have also heard that the information comes down in bursts, and that this can cause cut outs of some sort in some programs......????

Thanxalot

After being told Ipstar was lousy, and deciding it was not an option when I move into the sticks, I have since heard that the service has improved dramatically.

I have also heard that the information comes down in bursts, and that this can cause cut outs of some sort in some programs......????

Thanxalot

It has been a lot better of the past few months in terms of down time, although still has an annoying habit of crashing several times a day - some days more than others - but usuually only for a couple of minutes, sometimes just a few seconds but long enough to crash whatever you're working on. The big problem is the bandwidth. It is sometimes dreadfully slow, and the last few days has been pretty awful. Earlier today the bandwidth was worse than dial up.

I really don't recommend it if you have any alternative. Its just not reliable.

I think it's the same as with any connection...

Before it was 3000 Baht/month with a transfer limit of 750 mb/month...

Apart from the outages it worked as advertised (I had it for about 4 months).

Speeds were very consistent (if it worked) at or above advertised.

Now they reduce the price and introduce unlimited data transfer...

This means to keep it viable (they still have to buy the expensive bandwidth from CAT, and the price of the satellite has to get recuperated as well) they introduce contention ratio... So maybe 1 256kbps channel gets used by up to 50 people. Works great 4 am, but during daytime you're stuck with dial up speeds or even lower...Just like the True customers in Bkk on a 999Baht/month unlimited 2mbps connection....

I know one of the senior managers at ipstar. The problem they have now is many people using bittorrents/file sharing.

George, I'm not a techie.

What on earth does that mean in laymen's language?

And does your friend offer any solutions or better days to come?

Thanxalot

It has been a lot better of the past few months in terms of down time, although still has an annoying habit of crashing several times a day - some days more than others - but usuually only for a couple of minutes, sometimes just a few seconds but long enough to crash whatever you're working on. The big problem is the bandwidth. It is sometimes dreadfully slow, and the last few days has been pretty awful. Earlier today the bandwidth was worse than dial up.

I really don't recommend it if you have any alternative. Its just not reliable.

It's OK now, works 95% of the time :o

I think Mobi has the 256 package which does not give you the bandwidth down stream, that's maybe why it goes to sleep on him several times a day.

I have the 512 package which seems not to suffer from this problem nearly as much.

Edited by Rimmer

It's OK now, works 95% of the time :D

I think Mobi has the 256 package which does not give you the bandwidth down stream, that's maybe why it goes to sleep on him several times a day.

I have the 512 package which seems not to suffer from this problem nearly as much.

I rather think that its me that goes to sleep on it - while waiting for the next page to download :o

Ok , fair enough about the 512 package Vs 256 and if I could really be assured that it would solve all my problems, I'd change tomorrow.

But lets face it, I'm just a home user and I don't need lightning fast speeds. I Pay for 256 (kpbs?) and half the time I'm lucky to get 56 (kpbs?). :D

Why should I pay more, just so that I might get the speeds that I used to pay for at half the price? (if you follow my meaning :D )

That just aint right - even in Thailand. :D

It's OK now, works 95% of the time :D

Why should I pay more, just so that I might get the speeds that I used to pay for at half the price? (if you follow my meaning :D )

That just aint right - even in Thailand. :o

I agree with you Mobi, it aint right :D

But having said that I got so frustrated with the 256 package that I upgraded and now I don't get nearly as much sleep betweeen page downloads. :D

Can anybody tell me how much it costs (Startup and Monthly)? I am living in Issan, and have a hard time getting DSL, due to the distance from the Substation.

I can help:

3500 startup, which I believe includes a month, then

256/128 ......1500/month

512/256.......2200/month

Thankyou all for your experiences, even if they are generally negative.

Anyone else disagree?

Can anybody tell me how much it costs (Startup and Monthly)? I am living in Issan, and have a hard time getting DSL, due to the distance from the Substation.

I can help:

3500 startup, which I believe includes a month, then

256/128 ......1500/month

512/256.......2200/month

Thankyou all for your experiences, even if they are generally negative.

Anyone else disagree?

On the prices, yes.

Check this:

http://www.csloxinfo.com/broadband/ipstar4_en.asp#1

You will see that the standard charges are 2,500 pm for 256/128 and 4,000 pm for 512/256,

There is a special promotion on until the31May which reduces the above to 1,800 pm and 3,500 pm respectively. I got my 256/128 connection back in November at a promotion rate of 1500 p.m.

The promotion periods do finish as stated, so don't wait if you want to go ahead.

All prices exclude VAT.

Welcome to the Ipstar whingers league. :o

I have been using IPstar for some 17 months now. It does seem to be better however, there always seems to be a down period around 8:30am. That must be when they start work and somehow the server is affected with some kind of related activity. I do get periods of lag but all-in-all I have been satisfied.