'Starbung' Thai coffee vendor settles name dispute out of court

webfact

'Starbung' coffee vendor settles name dispute out of court

BANGKOK: -- A Thai coffee vendor has dropped his "Starbung Coffee" signboard after Starbucks brought him to court for intellectual property rights violations, the defendant said Thursday.

"We met halfway in an out-of-court settlement," said Damrong Maslee, a Bangkok street coffee vendor whose legal tussle with the US multinational has brought him social media fame in Thailand.

Last month, a Thai law firm filed a complaint on behalf of Starbucks Coffee Company against Damrong, 44, for not complying with an injunction issued in 2012 to remove the "Starbung Coffee" logo from his sidewalk stall in the Thai capital.

The international coffee giant demanded compensation of Bt300,000 (9,700 dollars), plus 30,000 baht (970 dollars) a month in legal fees.

"They agreed to drop the demand for compensation, and I agreed to stop using a circular sign for my coffee shop logo," Damrong told dpa.

He has also changed the name of his sidewalk coffee shop to "Bung’s Tears," showing a man in a Muslim cap crying.

"Bung" means brother in Malay.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-21

• Like 1

Drinking Bung's Tears: Coffee cart owner changes name (again)
By Coconuts Bangkok

starbung.jpg?itok=RVHOpt5l

Fighting a legal battle against a global corporate giant can make a man sad.

BANGKOK: -- Perhaps that’s why Damrong Maslae, the 43-year-old Bangkok coffee cart vendor at the center Starbung-gate controversy, recently re-named his business Bung’s Tears?

A photo of the new name and sign has gone up on Pantip and generated much discussion. While many laugh it off and admire his guts to fight a global brand like Starbucks, some netizens disagree with his pointless battle.

Many comments in Pantip suggested the stubborn barista is guilty of copyright infringement and seeking attention from the public, while some argue the whole story is a literally priceless and effective marketing strategy for his coffee cart. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/11/21/drinking-bungs-tears-coffee-cart-owner-changes-name-again

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-11-21

• Like 2

<snip> Going to be a busy time for this man. I doubt it will make much difference as to how much attention this will gain him on social media he will be destroyed if he does not move as far away from Starbuck's IP as possible.<snip>

Did you read the OP?

<snip> Going to be a busy time for this man. I doubt it will make much difference as to how much attention this will gain him on social media he will be destroyed if he does not move as far away from Starbuck's IP as possible.<snip>

Did you read the OP?

Further down there is a further press release through Coconuts that states

But the Starbucks lawsuits for violating Articles 109 and 110 of the Thai Trademark Act B.E.2534, which would require the coffee stall to pay damages of THB300,000 with 7.5 percent are still in play.

The case is set to go on court on Feb. 10, 2014.

It would seem that, from Starbucks point of view they are making sure this man stays away and doesn't suddenly revert to his old name/logo once this is out of court forcing them back into starting court proceedings again.

Did you read the OP?

But the Starbucks lawsuits for violating Articles 109 and 110 of the Thai Trademark Act B.E.2534, which would require the coffee stall to pay damages of THB300,000 with 7.5 percent are still in play.

It would seem that, from Starbucks point of view they are making sure this man stays away and doesn't suddenly revert to his old name/logo once this is out of court forcing them back into starting court proceedings again.

That is the deterrent for him to make sure he does not change the name back.

He does not have to sell that amount of coffee to make up for any payment he owes to Starbucks.

Did you read the OP?

That is the deterrent for him to make sure he does not change the name back.

He does not have to sell that amount of coffee to make up for any payment he owes to Starbucks.

He will do if the court rules in Starbuck's favour and they decide to pursue him for it (I accept that at this point it comes down to law enforcement....)

GO! Starbung GO!

You made an unbelievable huge and free advertising for this idiot coffee team.

I hope they gave you something for it under the table as it's usually here.

hit-the-fan.gifsick.gif

Edited by Loles

Here's the thing: Initially they just wanted him to stop using his sign and the starbung name and he was all like: "You're not gonna tell me in my own country what I can or can't do. Screw you, I'm not gonna back down. I invented this sign and you can't do shit about it!" Then he found out how much it would actually cost him to go all the way with this case, which he would've lost anyway, and all of a sudden it's so not a problem to swallow his pride and back down. It just shows once again, how small minded some people are. He should've just changed his sign and his name in the first place and then he wouldn't have lost any money over it. Som nam na!!!

Rich Farangs bully poor Thais?

I think so.

why then set up a company, build a reputation (whether you enjoy the brand or not is irrelevant as many obviously do)... Then allow others to do what they want after you spend years building it?.

Not bullying. Fair is fair

Sent from my RM-892_apac_laos_thailand_219 using Tapatalk

OMG! That cart with no espresso or latte machine, no comfortable seats etc had totally taken me in. I would have drunk a coffee there and thought, "how bad St*rb*cks has become" and decided never to go to a their outlets ever again. {Warning to those with a an absence of any sense of irony, the previous sentence was intended to be ironic]

He could have called it "Tarbucks" - same-same strategy as he tried with only one letter changed. Of course it would have helped his case if his name was Tarbuck, which it wasn't.

Starbucks show great restraint by walking away. So often fights in this country only end when somebody is dead.

Uncalled for trash.

So often = not always. Hardly an unfair statement to state that the South East Asian fight mentality is to keep attacking when a person is down to make sure they don't get back up. I just transposed that attitude to business. It really isn't uncalled for, just a harsh analogy. At worst a little over the mark.