Federal Hotel Soi 11 Closing down

jaiyen

We recently stayed at the Federal Hotel, ( our usual hotel when in BKK ) Sukhumwit soi 11 and wewere told that it will be closing at the end of the year. Guess what ?? It will be demolished to build more condos ! The end of an era. So we tried another hotel of a similar grade... It is in soi 19, Best Comfort Hotel.It is close to the crossroads next to number 33. It is a very nice place, very quiet and will suit the faithful who always stayed at the Federal. They do have a sister hotel called Honey Hotel, also in soi 19 but I definitely preferred Best Comfort. Dont be put off by the silly name. Check it out.

You can always stay at the zany, madcap, action-packed, fun-filled Atlanta Hotel.

http://www.theatlantahotelbangkok.com/

Added: But not, it would seem, if you are not housebroken.

The Atlanta also does not welcome undomesticated people – the sort of people who do not know how to sit on a chair or at table, who do not know how to behave, and whose appearance and manners are so disgraceful as to bring disrepute upon their own countrymen.

thumbsup.gif

You can always stay at the zany, madcap, action-packed, fun-filled Atlanta Hotel.

The Atlanta also does not welcome undomesticated people – the sort of people who do not know how to sit on a chair or at table, who do not know how to behave, and whose appearance and manners are so disgraceful as to bring disrepute upon their own countrymen.

thumbsup.gif

I checked this out - hilarious - I guess they wouldn't honor my reservation (not that I've made one) since I mostly travel alone - I would fall under the borderline clause - that must be a scary place that only caters to the walking dead! Managed by reincarnated tyrants - Stalin: GM - Hitler: Head Desk Clerk - Catering by Hannibal Lecter (he will serve you and the family for dinner). This could be the next Stephen King novel. clap2.gif Oh well...need more...coffee1.gif

thumbsup.gif

Yep...this has been well know in expat circles for some time. I remember the days 10-15 years ago when the Federal coffee shop was the place to go for birds.

Are you sure about this? " Federal coffee shop was the place to go for birds, 10 to 15 years ago?" I have been staying at or at least visiting the coffee shop going back to the early 70's and I don't ever recall it as being a place to pickup girls. Certainly not on the scale of the Nana Hotel, Grace, Imperial, Rex, Thai Yanok etc. Maybe I missed something?

Yep...this has been well know in expat circles for some time. I remember the days 10-15 years ago when the Federal coffee shop was the place to go for birds.

Are you sure about this? " Federal coffee shop was the place to go for birds, 10 to 15 years ago?" I have been staying at or at least visiting the coffee shop going back to the early 70's and I don't ever recall it as being a place to pickup girls. Certainly not on the scale of the Nana Hotel, Grace, Imperial, Rex, Thai Yanok etc. Maybe I missed something?

It wasn't the open air market like those you mention...just that sometimes there were girls there who were up for it. I pulled more than a few girls from there when staying at the nearby Grand Hotel over the years.

Never knew the fed had girls in the coffee shop and i used to stay there in the late 80's

I always prefered the original Thermae.

Had a friend that married a girl that worked at the federal

My first trip to Thailand included very positive results in the Nana coffee shop!

I also stayed at the Federal quite a few times.

The end of an era....I feel so old.

It wasn't the open air market like those you mention...just that sometimes there were girls there who were up for it. I pulled more than a few girls from there when staying at the nearby Grand Hotel over the years.

I was kind of turned off on that coffee shop for the following. I was awaken from a afternoon nap by a loud discusion about amount of money and services that had been rendered. I went down to coffe shop, right behind the girl exiting the mentioned room, with 30 minutes she was latched on to a new friend headed for a room. Now I try not to be a prude, but I like to warm them up myself and that might not qualify as group activity, but it fits close to what the 'big boys' told me

I heard from the staff that it had been sold for some Bht800m. You can imagine what size the condo is going to be to get an ROI. I'm a regular there and it's really sad it's going. The staff, as I understand it, are being rewarded handsomely by the owners for their service..which is a nice to know.

thumbsup.gif

I checked this out - hilarious - I guess they wouldn't honor my reservation (not that I've made one) since I mostly travel alone - I would fall under the borderline clause - that must be a scary place that only caters to the walking dead! Managed by reincarnated tyrants - Stalin: GM - Hitler: Head Desk Clerk - Catering by Hannibal Lecter (he will serve you and the family for dinner). This could be the next Stephen King novel. clap2.gif Oh well...need more...coffee1.gif

I stayed at the Atlanta a few times when the old Austrian guy stll ran it but upon his death the son took over and what a down fall. I would,t waste the shoe leather to go by and piss on the place now

Indeed it was a prime hotel for military living upcountry when in Bangkok but never knew it as a meeting place as the others. Thai Yanok was well known as an after hours place but never did find it (guess never out after hours that much).

I'm not a big fan of more condos in downtown BKK...

But, I stayed at the Federal once maybe a decade ago during my tourist days just to experience the place.... and came away with the feeling at that time that the hotel had pretty much run its course.

But, if anyone's enamored with 1960s hotel styles along with mattresses of the same vintage, there's always the Crown Hotel across the main Suk Road between Sois 6 and 8. It'll give you that same warm feeling of staying in a place that had seen its best days some 50 years ago...

thumbsup.gif

Hey! They really shouldn't be talking about my friends like that 1zgarz5.gif.pagespeed.ce.GJfs_tQOQ-.gif

I'm not a big fan of more condos in downtown BKK...

But, I stayed at the Federal once maybe a decade ago during my tourist days just to experience the place.... and came away with the feeling at that time that the hotel had pretty much run its course.

But, if anyone's enamored with 1960s hotel styles along with mattresses of the same vintage, there's always the Crown Hotel across the main Suk Road between Sois 6 and 8. It'll give you that same warm feeling of staying in a place that had seen its best days some 50 years ago...

Actually the Crown Hotel you mentioned between Soi 6 and 8 is relatively new. For sure not one of 1960's style GI hotels. I think they opened around the early or mid 80's. Just to keep you up to date it was renamed, about 6 months ago, to the S 6 Sukhumvit Hotel. The Crown Hotel that fits your discription is located on Sukhumvit Soi 29.

Indeed it was a prime hotel for military living upcountry when in Bangkok but never knew it as a meeting place as the others. Thai Yanok was well known as an after hours place but never did find it (guess never out after hours that much).

lopburi3, I know you wont be losing any sleep over not knowing where Thai Yanok was located but I'll tell you anyway. Head down Ploenchit Road from the railroad tracks until you reach the McDonalds which will be on the left. Thai Yanook sat roughly where the McDonalds is now located. Now that area has change tremendously since those days so I may be 50 yards or so off.

I stayed there a week in the big bathtub while waiting to have back surgery. The older women behind the desk always treated me like family.

The hot water helped me fight the pain.

The staff brought me food and water.

Great people. Sad really.

Federal was the first hotel I stayed in BKK in 1974

and many times after that. I saw Soi 11 changing a lot over time.

Not only Soi 11. Sukhumvit and the whole of BKK.

Somehow sad to know things won't be the same any more.

Everything is changing rapidly in Asia. I've seen Singapore,

HongKong, Bejing and other Asian cities changing tremendously.

And so are we... getting old and older.

When we visited Bangkok in the late 70's I remember visiting some people at a place called the Malaysia Hotel. Did I dream this? They said it was THE place for more affluent backpackers to stay. We stayed at some dump by the train station.

Archived