Federal Hotel Soi 11 Closing down

jaiyen

Ahh yes, the good old days. Just a few years ago I ate at the Honey Coffee Shop. Bunch of old battles axes in there giving me cross looks for no good reason. The food was just fine for an English breakie and very reasonable. I thought the hotel was a bit overpriced for what it was . Grand President just up the soi seems a value to me with a jr. Suite. Cheers

What a shame,a peace of Bangkok histroy will be goen. I wonder how many of you reading this know the history of this hotel,that it was a stop over for U.S. militery during WW2. I use to stay there back in 79,&80 when I was working in Saudi,and the great service I got from both Cat,and Pong the car service there,but then that is a long time goen. It will be missed.

When we visited Bangkok in the late 70's I remember visiting some people at a place called the Malaysia Hotel. Did I dream this? They said it was THE place for more affluent backpackers to stay. We stayed at some dump by the train station.

Nope, you're not dreaming. In fact, I believe it's still there. Not sure if they still appeal to the same sort of clientele.

Never heard of it. End of an era? Life moves on. It can't stay the same forever just for you old-timers.

You are right, davejones, life moves on. That doesn't exclude nostalgic feelings.

You'll be an old-timer yourself, if you, hopefully, live long enough.

And sadly enough, Mr. davejones...if you do live long enough, someday these will be the good old days. Think about that for a while.

lopburi3, I know you wont be losing any sleep over not knowing where Thai Yanok was located but I'll tell you anyway. Head down Ploenchit Road from the railroad tracks until you reach the McDonalds which will be on the left. Thai Yanook sat roughly where the McDonalds is now located. Now that area has change tremendously since those days so I may be 50 yards or so off.

Strange as I often stayed in Golden Palace Hotel on Soi 1 (at tracks) and spent much time in Gaysorn area (behind President Hotel) but never noticed the name. But always preferred to get my beauty sleep early so perhaps never passed when active.

Never heard of it. End of an era? Life moves on. It can't stay the same forever just for you old-timers.

You are right, davejones, life moves on. That doesn't exclude nostalgic feelings.

And sadly enough, Mr. davejones...if you do live long enough, someday these will be the good old days. Think about that for a while.

Yes, these are good days, but the future days will be good as well. Nothing at all wrong with a bit of nostalgia, but I always find that many people actually live in the past full-time. Life gets better every year. The way some old-timers talk is as if the good days have gone forever. More good days are here to replace them.

Very interesting this talk of nostalgic Bangkok. I've had that hotel on my list when I was first scouting places.

I'm relatively new to the scene in BKK, coming here since 2005, so I'm interested to know from the guys in the know, what places still exist (hotels, coffee shops or any type of place) that would be classified as "old BKK". I guess anything from the 1950's and up as I wouldn't mind taking a look at them for their nostalgic value.

FS

The Malaysia is still there but not the same when it was the hotspot in the 70s /80s. Also, The Swan ( next to the French embassy by the river) was a great place to stay then @ 40 Baht. They were the times when the upmarket hotels in town were The Montien, The Dusit Thani, the Sheraton ( now the Tawanna) and The ambassador

When we visited Bangkok in the late 70's I remember visiting some people at a place called the Malaysia Hotel. Did I dream this? They said it was THE place for more affluent backpackers to stay. We stayed at some dump by the train station.

I stayed at the Federal Hotel many a time in the 70's and 80's and am sad to see it close up. Lot of good old memories. Convenient location and good coffee shop back then. I am a Nam vet so I fall in to the good old day catagory. Spent many a time at Tigers Den also. Great place to meet folks and catch up and get a bowl of beans. I will say that I felt the Federal was going seedy back in the 80's and they also started to push the policy of being a family oriented establishment. Funny to see the looks on familes faces as they pasted the sex pats in the hallways, such looks of disdain, makes me still chuckle. Can remember when Soi Cowboy first started up also. Haven't been to Bangkok since Nana popped up. Yes we are getting old and I will retire to SEAsia in three months and look forward to seeing all the changes but with a tinge of regret.

Malaysia Hotel still going.

Yes, these are good days, but the future days will be good as well. Nothing at all wrong with a bit of nostalgia, but I always find that many people actually live in the past full-time. Life gets better every year. The way some old-timers talk is as if the good days have gone forever. More good days are here to replace them.

Have a look around DJ,things are certainly not getting better in the whole world,and i'm an optimist.

• 2 months later...

Malaysia Hotel still going.

yes, but they be packin something different now.

Yep...this has been well know in expat circles for some time. I remember the days 10-15 years ago when the Federal coffee shop was the place to go for birds.

no it wasnt.. i have lived on 11 since 1998. federal was NEVER the place to go for birds.

Federal was a decent budget option in Soi 11 just 5-7 years ago, you could get a room for 800 baht if out to the carpark. The coffee shop was indeed pretty good for breakfast. It is really remarkable how quickly Soi 11 has changed the last couple of years. The Aloft hotel has attracted a very different crows that would previously have stayed at some flashpacker place in Kao San.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

So, the Federal Hotel on Soi 11 is closed down at of Feb 2016?

Alas, yes. Just a building site now. Try the Grand Business Inn, which is as close as you will get to the Federal experience.

You can always stay at the zany, madcap, action-packed, fun-filled Atlanta Hotel.

http://www.theatlantahotelbangkok.com/

Added: But not, it would seem, if you are not housebroken.

The Atlanta also does not welcome undomesticated people the sort of people who do not know how to sit on a chair or at table, who do not know how to behave, and whose appearance and manners are so disgraceful as to bring disrepute upon their own countrymen.

thumbsup.gif

I am almost tempted to book a night there just so I can wee in the sink...

Archived