Kateoys Rob Dutch Couple

george

Violent ‘kateoys’ rob Dutch couple on Second Road

‘Bash and dash crime’ in Pattaya causing alarm amongst tourists

PATTAYA: Long-stay Dutch tourists, Mattain Blom and his wife Dekkek Blom had only arrived for their month-long holiday in Thailand when it was spoiled by two vicious men dressed as women, while they were walking along Pattaya Second Road at around 8 p.m. on February 17. The boys in girl’s clothing stole a diamond encrusted gold necklace and bracelet from Mattain, worth 2,000 euros, and 2,500 US dollars.

When the couple reported the crime to local police, they told officers that they were walking along Second Road near Mike Department Store when the two thieves accosted Mr. Blom, ripping the necklace and the bracelet from him before fleeing on their motorcycle. Officers recorded their statements as evidence and vowed to find the culprits.

The Dutch couple told reporters that they been visiting Pattaya one month at a time for the last five years.

Despite the recent spate of arrests of such thieves the problem remains endemic with little local law enforcement agencies can do to eradicate the criminal element from the streets and in the long run will eventually destroy the city’s precious tourism industry.

--Pattaya Mail 2004-02-27

Wearing 100,000 baht of jewellry, carrying 125,000 baht of currency.

And have been vacationing in Thailand before.

Head in clouds ?

There are always a group of motor-cycle taxis at the corner of Soi Pattayaland 3 and Sai Sawng - plus a few boys from the Boyz Town bars at or near where these two got robbed.

Why no interference? Did they know something ?

Advertise and you have more chance of being taken advantage of..

Most criminals are not very smart people..

Even thais don't get assistance from passerbys when they ae being robbed. I personally know of two who were robbed outside banks in the middle of the afternoon while people just walked away. And forget the police, unless you want to pay them some money for taking up their time.. :o

When I read this, although I felt for the couple robbed, I thought how bloody stupid some people are. Why were they walking around with so much jewellery on? Where ever you are in the world you must take precautions about personal safety. I was a police office in the UK for many years, spending the last 7 in central London, and tourists were being robbed and ripped off all the time. The difference here is the police don't give a ######, in the UK we did.

• 6 years later...

When I read this, although I felt for the couple robbed, I thought how bloody stupid some people are. Why were they walking around with so much jewellery on? Where ever you are in the world you must take precautions about personal safety. I was a police office in the UK for many years, spending the last 7 in central London, and tourists were being robbed and ripped off all the time. The difference here is the police don't give a ######, in the UK we did.

Hear , Hear. The "Police" here , (I use that word advisedly only.) don't care less.

BUT < I have to say that in a lot of other Tourist destinations wearing of Expensive Jewellery does NOT make you a Target because of the Professional Police Presence & protocols in place.

when i used to work in Tenenrife 10 years ago, there where gangs of morracan pick pockets and thevies, they only use to target people whereing loads of gold, it used to make me laugh seeing groups of Chavs whereing there 1000 pound gold chains, thinking the where untouchable, they where uselly found about 4 am , brusied and battered and missing the chain, but i did always warn them .

whereing expensive jewallry is a welcome sign to be robbed

Still happening, and with the price of gold nowadays, beware of wearing your gold around town, anywhere.

By the way, this is a 6 year old thread.

Old thread, sure, but nonetheless the point is valid to not wear or flaunt jewelry. Funny, with the price of gold these days, even the most hardened bar girls don't wear gold on an every day occasion.