Tip for people who can't show financials for Non immigrant O

I notice there are alot of people applying or wanting to apply for this visa who don't seem to be able to show the 400 000baht in the bank. Are you aware that in most european countries the thai embassy do not ask for any financial information whatsoever to obtain this visa. Your marriage just needs to be registered in your home country. A fellow I met on the plane who works for the thai embassy said this was because some people are able to hang on to the tabien somrot even after they are divorced in Thailand. He seemed to be pretty sure most western european countries were the same with the exception of the UK. Something to think about for people who can't get a visa in the region I guess.

A nonsense post best disregarded.

Why do you say that. I actually called to confirm this with the Thai embassy in Stockholm and they confirmed it applies atleast for all scandinavian countries and they were pretty sure other EU countries like Germany were the same. Atleast I got a 100% confirmed that they do not ask for financials in Scandinavia.

Here is a link to the requirements in Stockholm.

http://www.thaiembassy.se/en/visa/types-of-visa/50

Edited by Dellie

Why do you say that. I actually called to confirm this with the Thai embassy in Stockholm and they confirmed it applies atleast for all scandinavian countries and they were pretty sure other EU countries like Germany were the same. Atleast I got a 100% confirmed that they do not ask for financials in Scandinavia.

Can you tell us about these "visas" in more detail ?

Are they for one year multi entry ? or something else ?

single entry 520 sek

multiple entry 1300 sek

read the link I posted.

single entry 520 sek

multiple entry 1300 sek

read the link I posted.

Sorry I missed the link.

Indeed no mention is made of financial requirement for a "Non Immigrant "O" Spouse/Family" visa.

This does not apply everywhere .

Sorry I missed the link.

Indeed no mention is made of financial requirement for a "Non Immigrant "O" Spouse/Family" visa.

This does not apply everywhere .

No Im guessing it varies greatly. Citizens of EU countries should check with the thai embassy in their country is all Im saying.

Im guessing it could depend on what kind of rights citizens of various countries have should they experience financial distress in Thailand and what type of responsibility their government will take in transporting them home again. Maybe the extensive welfare system in Sweden is enough to assure thai authorities they won't have any homeless Swedes living on the streets or something. This pure speculation though.

...Are you aware that in most european countries the thai embassy do not ask for any financial information whatsoever to obtain this visa. Your marriage just needs to be registered in your home country. A fellow I met on the plane who works for the thai embassy said this was because some people are able to hang on to the tabien somrot even after they are divorced in Thailand...

Dellie, also I have some difficulty making sense of your post. If I understand your post correctly you are saying that a staff member of a Thai embassy told you that most Thai embassies in Europe do not ask applicants for a non-O visa, both single and multiple entry, for any financial information because some people hold on to what you call the tabien somrot after they are divorced from their Thai spouses.

...Are you aware that in most european countries the thai embassy do not ask for any financial information whatsoever to obtain this visa. Your marriage just needs to be registered in your home country. A fellow I met on the plane who works for the thai embassy said this was because some people are able to hang on to the tabien somrot even after they are divorced in Thailand...

Dellie, also I have some difficulty making sense of your post. If I understand your post correctly you are saying that a staff member of a Thai embassy told you that most Thai embassies in Europe do not ask applicants for a non-O visa, both single and multiple entry, for any financial information because some people hold on to what you call the tabien somrot after they are divorced from their Thai spouses.

Sorry maybe I was unclear. What he said was that the marriage must be registered in the home country. A tabien somrot (thai name for marriage certificate) is just a paper while in Sweden for example your marriage status is stored electronically with the authorities and it's impossible to get divorced without that status changing. That has nothing to do with them having financial requirments or not. Just that they do not accept the Thai marriage certificate as proof that you are married.

Your marriage status is in Thailand is also electronically stored when you register at the amphur but I suspect thai embassies don't have access to that system nor am I certain it is registered centrally and can be accessed by all branches of the thai government. Doubt it is.

Sorry maybe I was unclear. What he said was that the marriage must be registered in the home country. A tabien somrot (thai name for marriage certificate) is just a paper while in Sweden for example your marriage status is stored electronically with the authorities and it's impossible to get divorced without that status changing. That has nothing to do with them having financial requirments or not. Just that they do not accept the Thai marriage certificate as proof that you are married.

Your marriage status is in Thailand is also electronically stored when you register at the amphur but I suspect thai embassies don't have access to that system nor am I certain it is registered centrally and can be accessed by all branches of the thai government. Doubt it is.

A registered Thai marriage is legal and recognised as such by the whole of the Western world.

A registered Thai marriage is legal and recognised as such by the whole of the Western world.

I didn't say it wasn't legal. I said the thai marriage certificate by itself is not accepted when applying for a visa at that embassy because they don't have access to verify the information. You will have to be registered as married in both countries (don't confuse this with having to marry twice).

In many countries it is not possible to just register a marriage it requires getting married again.

If a Thai embassy or consulate wanted confirmation that the marriage was still valid they could ask for an up to date Kor Ror 2 marriage registry like immigration does for extensions. Also that the copies of the wife's house book, ID card card or passport be recently signed and dated.

I am legally married to a Thai, but the marriage has never been registered in Thailand. For 16 years I have obtained one year multiple entry O visas. Some embassies required financial records, and for others a copy of the marriage licence and a copy of her ID card were sufficient.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am legally married to a Thai, but the marriage has never been registered in Thailand. For 16 years I have obtained one year multiple entry O visas. Some embassies required financial records, and for others a copy of the marriage licence and a copy of her ID card were sufficient.

Why are you getting visas?

Are you not aware you you could register your marriage here and get an extension of stay.

Are you not aware you you could register your marriage here and get an extension of stay.

I travel in and out of thailand every month.

Just asking.

There are some that travel regularly that are managing to do it on an extension. It is a mater of timing to do it.

I suggest you at least register your marriage. There may come a time when you need to have it done and need to do it in a hurry.

Edited by ubonjoe

I appreciate the advice. But I do not understand any advantages to registering the marriage. It is registered in the country where we were married, This has always proven to be sufficient for our needs. If there are any specific advantages to registering in Thailand, I would be glad to hear them.

There certainly no disadvantage to do it. Mostly it makes your marriage legally recognized here.

Perhaps not applicable in your case. If you were to have children born here it is possible that your parenthood would not be recognized and birth registration would be difficult.

Also if you were to ever want to get an extension of stay you would need it done.

Edited by ubonjoe

Registering the marriage is required for obtaining an extension of stay based on your marriage.

There are no other real advantages, besides that it makes it easier to proof that you are legally married. There are also no disadvantages to not registering the marriage. (Some people still think that a Thai woman married to a foreigner can't own land, but that rule went out some time ago).

Why not just do it all on tourist visas as many of us do, whether married or not, and flying in and out fortnightly, monthly etc?

Sorry maybe I was unclear. What he said was that the marriage must be registered in the home country.

But Thailand is the home country?

. A tabien somrot (thai name for marriage certificate) is just a paper while in Sweden for example your marriage status is stored electronically with the authorities and it's impossible to get divorced without that status changing. That has nothing to do with them having financial requirments or not. Just that they do not accept the Thai marriage certificate as proof that you are married.

Thai government department not accepting documents issued by other Thai government departments?

It sounds like you're trying to make sense of what a Thai person told you.

As stated before in this thread possession of the the Marriage Certificate does not show that you are married now, rather that got married sometime in the past.

On divorce you are supposed to return the actual Marriage Certs. but I know people that did not.

The only proof that you are still married is a KR 2 obtained from the Amphur, this shows your current marital status as per their database at that date.

Registering the marriage is required for obtaining an extension of stay based on your marriage.

There are no other real advantages, besides that it makes it easier to proof that you are legally married. There are also no disadvantages to not registering the marriage. (Some people still think that a Thai woman married to a foreigner can't own land, but that rule went out some time ago).

Do you mean registering your marriage with your own embassy is required to extend your visa in Thailand? If so this must be new as I have extended my visa many times and my marriage is not registered with the UK embassy.

A foreigner can buy land in Thailand if he is married to a Thai however there are limitations as a couple as you need to state that you have no rights over the land as it will not be in your name but your wife. Nevertheless, the land or property must be registered under the name of the Thai spouse. The married couple may be asked to sign declarations at the Land Department stating that the funds used are the separate property of the Thai spouse. This means that the non-Thai spouse is waiving any claim on the land or property.

Do you mean registering your marriage with your own embassy is required to extend your visa in Thailand? If so this must be new as I have extended my visa many times and my marriage is not registered with the UK embassy.

Conversation was about registering a foreign marriage here at the Amphoe. Not at your embassy.

Edited by ubonjoe

A foreigner can buy land in Thailand if he is married to a Thai however there are limitations as a couple as you need to state that you have no rights over the land as it will not be in your name but your wife. Nevertheless, the land or property must be registered under the name of the Thai spouse. The married couple may be asked to sign declarations at the Land Department stating that the funds used are the separate property of the Thai spouse. This means that the non-Thai spouse is waiving any claim on the land or property.

I fail to see what part about "Some people still think that a Thai woman married to a foreigner can't own land, but that rule went out some time ago" is wrong".

You can simply not buy land. and that is waht you state yourself. Your wife buys the land and she has the ownership, not you or you together with her. It is not allowed to let your wife act as a proxy.

What is true is that upon divorce you could lay a claim to half of the value of the land, if the land was bought during the marriage.

Not sure why you seem to promote extensions Ubonjoe (here and I think I've noticed it elsewhere). Multiple non-O's often have advantages over one year extensions for those who fit the profile of recurring visitors, rather than residents:

* Potential for 15 months use, not 12

* No need to faff around with money in the bank or income confirmation; I appreciate that this now applies only at some non-O issuing places though around the world

* No need to faff around with 90 day reporting

* Potentially cheaper - when you take into account the multiple re-entry permit cost of 3,900 baht for those who go down the extension route but will be coming and going through Thia borders in the year, plus maybe financial confirmation costs (particularly if going down the income confirmation route through some home country embassies). I recognise that a complete comparative cost analysis depends also on relative travel costs to the place that would issue your paper for either non-O or extension purposes.

Having looked at both, the non-O still strikes me as more straightforward but will be happy to take any other factors account before I act on my own comparative analysis within the next couple of weeks. I recognise that the non-O route may not be with us forever and that use of the non-O is not for what it was probably intended in the case of some resident falang, but I'm going to keep taking advantage of it while it is still around and while my regular travel leaves me with no bad conscience about doing so.

• Like 1

I fail to see what part about "Some people still think that a Thai woman married to a foreigner can't own land, but that rule went out some time ago" is wrong".

You can simply not buy land. and that is waht you state yourself. Your wife buys the land and she has the ownership, not you or you together with her. It is not allowed to let your wife act as a proxy.

What is true is that upon divorce you could lay a claim to half of the value of the land, if the land was bought during the marriage.

During a divorce case, the non-Thai spouse needs to prove that the land is classified as marital property which can be difficult.