PM Yingluck has one clear choice: step down

webfact

I am confused as to why those that voted for the amendment are being impeached - does this set a precedent that where anything voted for that is later struck down by the CC would have those that voted for it banned?

Because they are deemed to have tried to alter the constitution undemocratically, and voted for an undemocratic constitution, which in itself is against the constitution, so have violated the contsitution and parliamentary proceedures in doing so. whence the moves to impeach them!

The problem with that is that the CC made their judgement after the vote - a judgement that nobody was really sure about until they made it. The precedence would be that before anything in future could be voted on in parliament it would need to be approved by the CC which would pretty much make the whole legaslative procedure grind to a halt. Any MP risking a vote either way would open himself up for impeachment should the CC at any future point rule that it was unconstitutional. Given the twilight zone of Thai politics, even voting no could open someone up to impeachment since by voting at all they would be acknowledging the bill before them.

By all means they should investigate the procedural issues involved and sanction those responsible but going after the MPs who merely voted would effectively cripple the parliamentary system.

wrong, The point is the constitutional court oversees the work of parliament, making sure that processes are carried out in a legal framework. the only precedence is that the party in power assume they have the right to change the constitution without seeking a concensus from all parties sitting in Parliament. Without a referendum of the people they claim to represent, and without any checks and ballances to make sure that corruption or dictatorship etc are not seized by nepotistic tyrants who's declared aim is not democracy!

Codswallop!! we won fair and square pal (alright we cheated and lied a teeny bit). Lets look at the facts: we got people to vote for us (alright we paid them and made crazy promises in order to dupe and trick them) then there is the fact that cos we won we can do what we like in whatever way we want because we rule OK. All these words and nonsense rules that slow us down from making money are "out of order". The thing is we have 4 years to fleece the people and think its unfair that you set these judges on us and try to kick us out.

What is this democracy thing that everyone keeps on harping on about - never heard of it but I'm sure it is a load of BS, well Thaksin say's it is anyway ("but don't tell the people") he say's.

• Like 1

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Somebody should design a board game based on Thai politics.

The only problem is that the ideal name for the game, "Trivial Pursuit", has already been used. coffee1.gif

I know a card game that the 'reds' can learn how to play accompanied by a book to help them called 'snap for dummies' with pictures only, as they cannot read Thai, apparently!!!.

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

NATION ANALYSIS

PM has one clear choice: step down

Can't we just go back to the good old days and make her walk the plank tongue.png

Why the nautical flavour to her demise? In the old days it was a one way ticket to Tower Hill - or burning at the stake. Maybe the French could make their input? Let the tumbrils roll.

Ignore any suggestion from our American friends. They take 20 years to finally decide to invoke the ultimate penalty and then start a new war about how to do it.

NATION ANALYSIS

PM has one clear choice: step down

Can't we just go back to the good old days and make her walk the plank tongue.png

Capt'n Neilly Sir! The men have been at sea for months... and well you know, she's not too hard on the eyes. It's would certainly improve the crews moral a bit, if they had a "mascot" to cheer them up a bit... if you know what I mean? But that's only until we sail into deeper waters, then we can give her a good flogging and sink her somewhere where she'll never resurface... Wot ya say Sir?

Good idea.Into the barrel you go YL.

Yelp, yelp.

Don't worry YL. It's only the roll of the ship.

Yipes!. It feels more like a roll of lino.

This is so unlike The Nation cheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

I can think of another easier option which would be to not step down.

Rocket science it ain't.

Certainly easier for the government to stay in power, but at the expense of the economy and the foreseeable future of Thailand.

With the corruption, incompetence and lack of governance that is going on there will be nothing to show but a huge debt and a few below spec part completed projects for Thailand once the 2 trillion that this lot want to get their filthy hands on to cover their current debt mess and Shinawatra and their lackey's lavishness.

Well, if you think that this change of government and all the associated mess around it is going to be good for the "future" of Thailand.

Once again, a government will have fallen without getting to its electoral term, the Dems will be back in, the poor will have lost their Robin Hood. All in all, it will be just an event in the adolesence of Thai society. Another foot stomping tantrum along the way, until people start to realise that corruption is the scourge of the country and stop waiing thieves on all sides fo the political spectrum and start locking them up.

• Like 1

I am confused as to why those that voted for the amendment are being impeached - does this set a precedent that where anything voted for that is later struck down by the CC would have those that voted for it banned?

Because they are deemed to have tried to alter the constitution undemocratically, and voted for an undemocratic constitution, which in itself is against the constitution, so have violated the contsitution and parliamentary proceedures in doing so. whence the moves to impeach them!

The problem with that is that the CC made their judgement after the vote - a judgement that nobody was really sure about until they made it. The precedence would be that before anything in future could be voted on in parliament it would need to be approved by the CC which would pretty much make the whole legaslative procedure grind to a halt. Any MP risking a vote either way would open himself up for impeachment should the CC at any future point rule that it was unconstitutional. Given the twilight zone of Thai politics, even voting no could open someone up to impeachment since by voting at all they would be acknowledging the bill before them.

By all means they should investigate the procedural issues involved and sanction those responsible but going after the MPs who merely voted would effectively cripple the parliamentary system.

wrong, The point is the constitutional court oversees the work of parliament, making sure that processes are carried out in a legal framework. the only precedence is that the party in power assume they have the right to change the constitution without seeking a concensus from all parties sitting in Parliament. Without a referendum of the people they claim to represent, and without any checks and ballances to make sure that corruption or dictatorship etc are not seized by nepotistic tyrants who's declared aim is not democracy!

But you see they have created a very wicked precedent here. There was a huge debate earlier about whether the CC could receive complaints directly. And they all sat down and interpreted the consitution on the basis of one word to judge that they could do so.

Now, the fact that the CC has intervened to stop the government rejigging the make up of the senate without a referendum. All very good in moral terms. However, it goes against what the intended way of do so according to the constitution. Now ANYONE can petition the CC over ANY issue. I seriously believe that the reason that the constitution was written the way it was because they believed that the Democrats would be in power for ever having squashed PTP, and to have the attorney general in the way as a political appointee would be great because he would be backed by a Democrat parliament.

I mean honestly, were the people who wrote the constitution so stupid as to put a politically appointed Attorney General into the loop to filter requests for no reason? There was a reason, and the reason was to block any requests from PTP to the CC, assuming that PTP was the minorioty party.

• Like 1

Rocket science it ain't.

Certainly easier for the government to stay in power, but at the expense of the economy and the foreseeable future of Thailand.

With the corruption, incompetence and lack of governance that is going on there will be nothing to show but a huge debt and a few below spec part completed projects for Thailand once the 2 trillion that this lot want to get their filthy hands on to cover their current debt mess and Shinawatra and their lackey's lavishness.

Well, if you think that this change of government and all the associated mess around it is going to be good for the "future" of Thailand.

Once again, a government will have fallen without getting to its electoral term, the Dems will be back in, the poor will have lost their Robin Hood. All in all, it will be just an event in the adolesence of Thai society. Another foot stomping tantrum along the way, until people start to realise that corruption is the scourge of the country and stop waiing thieves on all sides fo the political spectrum and start locking them up.

Is this a spoof posting?

I love the bit about the poor losing their Robin Hood - made me laugh hysterically that bit!!!

This government has done more damage to the nation in 2 years than what Thatcher managed to achieve in her damaging time!!

If they lasted the full term of 4 years (they won't thank god) then I dread to think what state it would be in.

This calls for Batman and Robin in the form of Abhisit and Korn to save Thailand from the brink of disaster - someone please call Gotham City and plead for them to come, we need saving badly!!

If YL is forced out or ends up resigning, she could always find work as a sales girl in a Prada shop....

Or at least teaching English in one of the English for Thais schools here. She is, after all, an educated woman. Posted Image

The devil will be a customer

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Rocket science it ain't.

Is this a spoof posting?

I love the bit about the poor losing their Robin Hood - made me laugh hysterically that bit!!!

This government has done more damage to the nation in 2 years than what Thatcher managed to achieve in her damaging time!!

If they lasted the full term of 4 years (they won't thank god) then I dread to think what state it would be in.

This calls for Batman and Robin in the form of Abhisit and Korn to save Thailand from the brink of disaster - someone please call Gotham City and plead for them to come, we need saving badly!!

Actually it would be much better for Richard the Lion Heart to burst onto the scene to sort out the pretenders once and for all. Off with their heads, this will put an abrupt and final stop to the empire builders and their lackeys.

I don't think PTP would win another election with politics in its current state and solely at their hands.

Their popularity was at an all time low and the latest polls showed that the Dems would likely win the next election, since those polls the situation has got a lot worse for them.

It would not be hard for the Dems to send out the spies to video PTP vote buying in the run up to the next elections would it. Compile all this evidence and present it to the NACC and the EC and have the PTP banned.

This would put the Dems in the front seat, no need for them to be corrupt with the pay per vote. This could also make it very difficult in the future for any vote buying. It would have to be confined to vote buying indirectly via populist policies aimed at a specific voter. That one has been seen to be lies in the past with the minimum wage up to 15,000 a month for holders of bachelor's degrees that didn't happen, and the ipads that were 1000 baht Chinese androids that are all broken now (didn't they pay ipad 3 prices for those?.... more corruption). I won't even mention the rice pledging scheme.

Well if I were leader of the Dems, that is what I would be doing.

I suspect this is very much wishful thinking on your part. The polls did show an initial loss of support, particularly, I believe in Issan (which is supported by the relatively low numbers of red shirts that turned up the other day). But I don't think there's any reason to assume that things have got a 'lot worse' re people's perceptions, especially in the N/NE since then. I think it's very likely to be already swinging back the other way. The amnesty is off the table for now and that's the main reason for the drop it support. The way I see it, the longer Suthep protests, and the more interference there is in the legitimate actions of the government - either from the judiciary or the NACC or whoever else is ready to join the party - the more sympathy for the government will grow. I expect the government will win the next election as things stand, albeit with a reduced majority. Of course, the longer they stay in power and the further we move away from the botched amnesty, the better as far as the govt is concerned. The government still holds most of the aces.

These figures obviously aren't as good as a poll, but I think you can sort of gauge the popularity of the relative parties by looking at the viewing figures for the respective partisan TV channels, you'll note that Asia Update was overtaken by Blue Sky Channel briefly at about the point when the government was trying to push the amnesty bill through, but now that's off the cards, normal service has resumed and Asia Update is more popular again: http://asiancorrespondent.com/116007/politically-partisan-tv-channels-gain-popularity-in-thailand/ Although as Bangkok Pundit says, Blue Sky has come from nowhere to being a contender, so that's definitely good news for the Democrats. Obviously this isn't going to be completely accurate because it's not like just Democrat supporters watch Blue Sky and vice versa, in the same way that a lot of liberals enjoying watching Fox News if they want a laugh (or to be outraged or whatever).

On your 'spies' point, surely if it were that easy people would be doing it at every election? I mean PPP did get banned in 2008 after one of their executives was filmed taking village heads on a Bangkok jaunt, so there's that. And also why wouldn't PTP just send out their spies and film the Democrats vote buying? Either it's not so conspicuous or as common as you suppose it is, or both parties have a mutual interest in keeping things as they are.

Edited by Emptyset

I don't think PTP would win another election with politics in its current state and solely at their hands.

Their popularity was at an all time low and the latest polls showed that the Dems would likely win the next election, since those polls the situation has got a lot worse for them.

It would not be hard for the Dems to send out the spies to video PTP vote buying in the run up to the next elections would it. Compile all this evidence and present it to the NACC and the EC and have the PTP banned.

This would put the Dems in the front seat, no need for them to be corrupt with the pay per vote. This could also make it very difficult in the future for any vote buying. It would have to be confined to vote buying indirectly via populist policies aimed at a specific voter. That one has been seen to be lies in the past with the minimum wage up to 15,000 a month for holders of bachelor's degrees that didn't happen, and the ipads that were 1000 baht Chinese androids that are all broken now (didn't they pay ipad 3 prices for those?.... more corruption). I won't even mention the rice pledging scheme.

I suspect this is very much wishful thinking on your part. The polls did show an initial loss of support, particularly, I believe in Issan (which is supported by the relatively low numbers of red shirts that turned up the other day). But I don't think there's any reason to assume that things have got a 'lot worse' re people's perceptions, especially in the N/NE since then. I think it's very likely to be already swinging back the other way. The amnesty is off the table for now and that's the main reason for the drop it support. The way I see it, the longer Suthep protests, and the more interference there is in the legitimate actions of the government - either from the judiciary or the NACC or whoever else is ready to join the party - the more sympathy for the government will grow. I expect the government will win the next election as things stand, albeit with a reduced majority. Of course, the longer they stay in power and the further we move away from the botched amnesty, the better as far as the govt is concerned. The government still holds most of the aces.

These figures obviously aren't as good as a poll, but I think you can sort of gauge the popularity of the relative parties by looking at the viewing figures for the respective partisan TV channels, you'll note that Asia Update was overtaken by Blue Sky Channel briefly at about the point when the government was trying to push the amnesty bill through, but now that's off the cards, normal service has resumed and Asia Update is more popular again: http://asiancorrespondent.com/116007/politically-partisan-tv-channels-gain-popularity-in-thailand/ Although as Bangkok Pundit says, Blue Sky has come from nowhere to being a contender, so that's definitely good news for the Democrats. Obviously this isn't going to be completely accurate because it's not like just Democrat supporters watch Blue Sky and vice versa, in the same way that a lot of liberals enjoying watching Fox News if they want a laugh (or to be outraged or whatever).

On your 'spies' point, surely if it were that easy people would be doing it at every election? I mean PPP did get banned in 2008 after one of their executives was filmed taking village heads on a Bangkok jaunt, so there's that. And also why wouldn't PTP just send out their 'spys' and film the Democrats vote buying? Either it's not so conspicuous or as common as you suppose it is, or both parties have a mutual interest in keeping things as they are.

Well one thing getting worse.It seems the BAAC have run out of money to pay the farmers for the rice.

That's were the Democrats want to focus.. explaining in clear easy terms why the rice pledging is imploding.. and how their system even though it didn't give quite give as much but it was sustainable. and the explain the devastation that is happening to Thais TRADITIONAL lead in rice sales. Cambodia voted best rice 2 years in a row...etc etc etc.

Edited by thaicbr
  • Like 1

Yes, an elected government votes for this terribly 'undemocratic constitution' of a fully elected senate... what you've just said sounds ridiculous to me, sorry. But I probably needn't keep repeating myself. lol.

Yes, an elected government votes for this terribly 'undemocratic constitution' of a fully elected senate... what you've just said sounds ridiculous to me, sorry. But I probably needn't keep repeating myself. lol.

Impeaching someone for supporting a bill, is absolutely ridiculous, since it can't be judged to be unconstitutional until AFTER the event. It shouldn't be that supporting a bill lands you in hot water with the constitutional court, and the irony is that of course, murdering someone by shooting someone in the head gets you parliamentary immunity, but voting for something, apparently lands in you in the clink with the constitutional court.

Amazing Thailand.....

• Like 1

Well one thing getting worse.It seems the BAAC have run out of money to pay the farmers for the rice.

That's were the Democrats want to focus.. explaining in clear easy terms why the rice pledging is imploding.. and how their system even though it didn't give quite as much it was sustainable. and the explain the devastation that is happening to Thais TRADITIONAL lead in rice sales. Cambodia voted best rice 2 years in a row...etc etc etc.

Right. I agree. That's exactly what they should focus on. There was a talk by a political scientist who'd been doing some polling in red shirt areas in the NE and she actually found that the Democrats' rice pleging scheme was the one policy where people preferred them over PT. I think it was a blind comparison of policies (this was before the last election). I don't know if the result would be the same now. Depends if the farmers are actually receiving more money, and whether they're willing - or moreover can afford - to sacrifice that bit extra for more reliability in payment & for the good of the country's rice industry as a whole. I'd like to see people from either party getting more innovative though and taking a serious look at the IMF's suggestion of direct payments, or something along those lines, which would allow for a gradual restructuring of the economy.

I think one of the main things, I'd guess, from the farmers POV is the uncertainty surrounding this. PT surely know they can't afford to keep this running for too much longer and they're already cutting back. So what will they do? I think they need to move to something they know is affordable, whether direct subsidies or the Democrats scheme, say to farmers 'we're going to do this for at least three years', then farmers have the security of knowing that and can plan accordingly. I don't think I'd be happy as a farmer right now given how unstable all this seems.

Edited by Emptyset

What a super idea, and so much easier yhan actually winning an election, and all that nonsense such ad getting a majority in parliament and persuading the electorate to give you a mandate!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's not what they are doing BUT how they are doing it. The revised fully elected senate could have immediate family members of sitting MP's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MPs_elected_in_the_Thai_general_election,_2011

If you look at the list of Mp's you already have areas that 2 or 3 members of the family are MP's and then more will be at the provincial level, Governors, Head of Provincial administrations etc

That surely is not good for democracy Thai style or any other!

Edited by thaicbr
  • Like 1

I would personally call for 'International Rescue' but I'm sure that the Thai's would balk at having potential colonialists invade their shores

How appropriate to have the Thunderbirds, International rescue to save Thailand from Thaksin's and his puppet. lol

post-46292-0-63389300-1385119440_thumb.j

Edited by waza

If PM Yingluck dissolved the house and calls for a snap election, PTP will win once again and build a new government with Pheu Thai, Bhumjaithai, Chartthaipattana and Chart Pattana Puea Pandin.

Then nothing should be holding her back. Come on Yingluck, let's have a snap election!

Why should she? She was elected to lead the country until the middle of 2015. If she dissolves parliament she will win as the democrats can't win an election.

If she do call for a snap election fine with me but I do hate this pickups that cruise around our village but if she wins the guy from Surat Thani or that general Chamlong will not accept it and bring the peoples against to the street.

It would be better to finish off both Abhisit and Suthep for murder and then call a snap election. Abhisit and Suthep had a chance to get away for the killings for passing the amnesty bill. I bet with everyone on TV that they will be indicted one day and the crime they did is more then just taking 240 million Baht as Thaksin and his wife was charged under a military controlled court.

Even Chuan Lekpai brother took 240 million Baht with him when he runaway to Taiwan and stayed their for over 10 years. Everybody steals money when in power in Thailand.

I guess in Pattaya alone are farangs that have been stealing money in the billions but we focus on this one guy that is actually Thai.

Charge Chuan Lekpai as well for trying to bring his young brother back when he was the Parliament speaker.

I love Thai politics smile.png

Edited by MobileContent

waza

:

Robby nz, osnapback.pngn 22 Nov 2013 - 06:13, said

Early next month, 109 politicians of the now-defunct People Power, Chart Thai and Matchima Thipataya parties will end their five-year bans and return to the field of politics.

So they could recycle 109 who have already been done for dishonesty.

They would fit in real well.

In addition Thaksin has the 111 TRT politician who's ban ended in May 2012, that gives them an additional 210 politician to build a new cabinet with.

The word politicians can only be loosely applied to that bunch who have already proved their criminal status by getting themselves banned for 5 years.

Why should she? She was elected to lead the country until the middle of 2015. If she dissolves parliament she will win as the democrats can't win an election.

Considering they have won 3 of the last 4 by-elections (the Don Muang one by a swing of over 12%) and the BKK mayoral election that is not really a true statement is it?

If she do call for a snap election fine with me but I do hate this pickups that cruise around our village but if she wins the guy from Surat Thani or that general Chamlong will not accept it and bring the peoples against to the street.

I think you will find that it was Thaksin and the reds who could not accept that the Dems were in power, hence the attempted overthrow of the Govt in 2010

It would be better to finish off both Abhisit and Suthep for murder and then call a snap election. Abhisit and Suthep had a chance to get away for the killings for passing the amnesty bill.

You don't seem to gave worked it out that they want to go to court to prove their innocence, that is one of the reasons why they opposed the amnesty bill.

If they are not given their day in court then reds like you will forever call them murderers.

If they are ever given their day in court then the evidence they will produce in their defense will incriminate all the red leaders and your hero Thaksin to such an extent that terrorism charges against them will be the only choice.

Thaksin and his wife was charged under a military controlled court.

Can you not understand they one of Thaksins proxy parties was in power when he was charged and sentenced?

• Like 2

I would personally call for 'International Rescue' but I'm sure that the Thai's would balk at having potential colonialists invade their shores

Don't you think there are enough puppets in the Thai government already? They might even confuse Yingluck with her lookalike Tin Tin what with all those strings and being controlled from afar by a criminal mastermind....... the aptly named Hood.

They could do with Brains though.

smile.png

Don't you think there are enough puppets in the Thai government already? They might even confuse Yingluck with her lookalike Tin Tin what with all those strings and being controlled from afar by a criminal mastermind....... the aptly named Hood.

They could do with Brains though.

smile.png

'They could do with Brains though'

Agreed, they could all take turns in using it!!