Poor Isaan...

kirstymelb101

most of you already know Isann is the poorest part of Thailand. But which province in Isaan is actually the poorest? I'm currently located in Kalasin, which is aprox 1hr 30min bus trip from Khon Kan and many have told me it's the 2nd poorest province. Strangely enough I couldn't find anything on Google regarding this matter.

this year

Isaan will be even poorer than usual. With the rice cutters only working for 500baht a day, Lao cow and a fussy menu or they refuse to work if they don't get it. In our Provence, close to Nong Han, the harvesters are working flat out and the cutters are so comfy in their hammocks as no one will pay and bend over and take their demands. I am sure the crime there will be massive in a few months as the neighbors have already stopped repayments on their scooters and borrowing from any collateral they have, again with no way of repaying the loans. Lock up or the wandering tribesman will be borrowing the fish from your ponds and anything else your not using that can be lifted. Be warned.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Edited by Ozybear

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about sakon nakhon? Does anyone know about livelihood of the people in this province?

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

My good friend lives in Sakon nakhon and if u don't mind people who enjoy eating  dog, I'm sure you will get by fine !!

Is it so difficult for the people in this part of isaan region to make ends meet until they have to consume dog and rats meats to survive?

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk

I have noticed in my 2 years in retirement here that many in my village spend far too much of their time and money Gambling and Drinking away what little they have and are in debt to the point of no return.

I have Family Members Angry because as a "Rich American" I dont gift them my money. I refuse to be used as their ATM to help enable their poor decisions.

Seems everything is a scheme to Seperate the Farang and his money. It took being scammed by a building contractor,family members, etc.. for me to learn but i have learned the hard way. My money STAYS in the Bank!

What Isaan needs desperately is EDUCATION in household and farm finance and budget.

Gamblers Anonymous and Alcoholics Anonymous are also desperately needed.

There are many Great, Honest, and hard working people in Isaan but some really bad habits need to be Educated out of the culture IMO

Isaan could probably deal with less people that don't realise they are sugar daddies as well. Of course more English teachers could educate them out of their ignorance!

Most of the bigger province towns and even most of the Amphur towns in Isaan seem to be reasonably wealthy - what resources there are (and there seems to be a whole lot more resources than when I arrived here 6 years ago) migrate there. Go to a village away from the main roads and more than 20k from the nearest large town and you will see a different face to Isaan - particularly among households populated only by old people.

When you arrived 6 years ago you had not yet brought your money. Although I agree that Isaan has gotten more prosperous despite the weird politics going on. Now they just need money for the rice they raised.

How about sakon nakhon? Does anyone know about livelihood of the people in this province?

My good friend lives in Sakon nakhon and if u don't mind people who enjoy eating dog, I'm sure you will get by fine !!

Is it so difficult for the people in this part of isaan region to make ends meet until they have to consume dog and rats meats to survive?

Eating dog is a party - It's not done because they are starving. Dogs don't come up missing because a neighbor is hungry.

Now rats are trapped, eaten and they are sold. Don't feel sorry for the people because this is their way of life.

• Like 2

The thai govt will never improve education in the rural areas as 1, it costs money. 2, who would cut the rice? 3, loa cow company would go broke, 4, farangs support many families here, so no need.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

Amazing how many foreigners seem to believe that they have a significant impact on the local economy.

How many falang do you think there are here? Less than 1 in 500 households would be my guess

Average family income pa without falang influence - let's say 8,000 baht a month, so $3,000 pa (there are some very wealthy Isaan families and some comfortable middle class, lets not forget)

Average family income pa with falang influence - let's say $20,000 just for the sake of argument (some of us really splash the cash, some of us are pensioners not well-blessed with big disposable incomes)

Impact on overall economy 1.13%. Sod all IMO.

I'm guessing my assumptions will generate a huge dive off topic. Use your own by all means - you still will not get a significant impact unless you use really absurd assumptions about our penetration rates (pun intendedbiggrin.png )

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 2

My good friend lives in Sakon nakhon and if u don't mind people who enjoy eating  dog, I'm sure you will get by fine !!

They just have different cultural values to westerners. Ask your wife what Thai people think about eating turkey and you'll see the difference between cultures.

It saddened me to learn that many girls or daughters in the isaan families have to venture far far away from homes to earn living to support whole family members while the men staying behind at home. Can't the men find employment in isaan or other cities to support the families? Or maybe I'm wrong? Acute shortage of employment opportunities?

It saddened me to learn that many girls or daughters in the isaan families have to venture far far away from homes to earn living to support whole family members while the men staying behind at home. Can't the men find employment in isaan or other cities to support the families? Or maybe I'm wrong? Acute shortage of employment opportunities?

Its not just the daughters that leave the villages to seek work most of the sons do as well. At New Year and Songkran the population of the villages doubles as those working in Bangkok and places like Rayong come home for the holidays. Yes there are the lazy young men who cannot be bothered, or are unwilling to leave the nest, to go and seek work, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

• Like 1

It seem like a norm for the daughters to be treated as a "cash cow" for the families in isaan. A great burden is placed on them to feed the whole families! And the daughters are so willingly or obliged to do so!

Edited by aaron ysl

It seem like a norm for the daughters to be treated as a "cash cow" for the families in isaan. A great burden is placed on them to feed the whole families! And the daughters are so willingly or obliged to do so! Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk

Sons have the same expectations but sometimes don't live upto them

• Like 1