Reinstalled Windows Xp

Beachcomber

Hi

Last couple of days I been playing around with my hard drives and decided to do a complete new fresh install of my XP Pro.

Instead if doing an easy re-install I decided to completely blank the drive by filling it with zeros using the manufacturer’s utility disk then reformatting with Partition Magic.

When it came to run the OS install CD the message came up something like “recommend format this disk” so yes let’s format.

I would have thought that now I had a really clean blank hard drive with no old information left on which to install the OS.

So why didn’t it ask for the CD product key at any time during the install? :D

Could this information be stored in the BIOS? Though I seem to remember being asked for the key on previous occasions when I have done just a re-install.

On a slightly different note.

Why would one want to “change” the Product Key? Being a bit naive I thought this was only done with dubious CD’s to make them “legal” :D But I see that Microsoft themselves have info pages on how to change the key. For what purpose would one want to change the key? :o

Beachcomber.

I know that you can make automated install CDs that pretty much only ask you where to install XP... everything else you just leave to the automated process, including installation of applications. If you search the web, there are several websites which teach you how to do it. Many of the Pantip XP CDs are like this, and therefore have no CD-key prompt.

The information is not stored in the bios, but on the harddrive.

I would have thought that now I had a really clean blank hard drive with no old information left on which to install the OS.

So why didn’t it ask for the CD product key at any time during the install? :D

Could this information be stored in the BIOS? Though I seem to remember being asked for the key on previous occasions when I have done just a re-install.

Definitely not stored in the BIOS. Are you using the same CD you always have? I ask because it is possible to build an XP installation CD with the information already in it and depends on where you got it. :o

Some of the corporate install CDs don't ask for keys.

Erm! Yes it is a corporate edition of dubious parentage.

I am innocent party of buying computer with XP already installed.

OK - so where does this leave me with authenticated Windows patches and upgrades?

:o

For critical patches, you can use the auto-update feature (which currently also wants to install a reminder that you're using a pirated copy). For other updates, like IE and media player, you'll need some way to circumvent the authentic windows checker... look around.

I am not sure how to do it on XP but there is definitely a "fix" with windows 2000 to disable the request for the key at install time.

If you want to know PM me.

The CD you have will use Microsofts Volume license key (VLK). This enables large companies an easy way to deliver MS software.

The problem you may have is when you try an auto update it will fail on the the WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage). This is where you need a valid cd key on installation.

The CD key you (should) type in is stored in the OS and is tied to your computers hidden system ID. As mentioned there are way's around the WGA but tread carefully I have screwed my machine twice playing with this kind of software.

Hi

Quote “tywais”

Definitely not stored in the BIOS. Are you using the same CD you always have? I ask because it is possible to build an XP installation CD with the information already in it and depends on where you got it.

Come to think of it I do believe this is not the CD I used the last time for a re-install where it ask for a Key. I don’t really know why I used this different CD this time, guess it just looked like a later version as it had SP2 on it.

Quote “Firefox”

For critical patches, you can use the auto-update feature (which currently also wants to install a reminder that you're using a pirated copy). For other updates, like IE and media player, you'll need some way to circumvent the authentic windows checker... look around.

I tried the auto-update feature but Microsoft wanted to ‘authenticate’ my install first so I chickened out. Don’t know if the computer is going to self destruct in 30 seconds if I’m not “authentic.

Even though my install did not ask for a key I assume it does have one and is somewhere on my computer now. Where can I find it?

Beachcomber. :o

Even though my install did not ask for a key I assume it does have one and is somewhere on my computer now. Where can I find it?

Beachcomber. :o

In XP the key will not be in plain text format as with previous windows. This free program works, just tried it.

Direct link to the program

Edited by tywais

Auto update (the one you enable in the My Computer properties) has always worked for me. This is the one where it downloads automatically without you telling it to, and then shows a yellow shield in your system tray to notify you that you can install the downloads.

Last week, MS started including an authentication update in the auto updates. You should choose to do a "custom install" of any auto-updates and choose *not* to install this one.