AB Negative Blood Type needed!

Niphanit

AB Negative Blood Type needed !

Nong Fai, child patient got infected in blood stream and doctor said she got 50-50 chance of survival rate.

Nong Fai's mom has contacted many hospital for blood donate but there isn't enough blood for the poor girl.

Please spread the word for more blood donation.

The patient name is Miss.Kanchana Worawat (Nong fai).

She's admit at Phranangklao Hospital, Nonthaburi province.

Her mother phone no. 086 705 6421

post-192783-0-40702100-1385097940_thumb.

post-192783-0-83873800-1385097966_thumb.

I called the mother, and my friend with much better Thai than I have, spoke to her, and she confirmed that A negative (or O negative) will not help. She said lots of people are calling to try to help, and she's grateful, but the doctors have said the blood type has to be AB negative.

Yes, while an exact blood type match is always preferred (and while a clear mismatch is NEVER allowed when it comes to transfusion/transplantation) O negative can be given to anyone, in particular if it is a case of serious emergency where NOT get getting any transfusion carries big risks (as it seems the case here). I am an MD, but I of course don't know the specifics which makes other doctors at the hospital may make to think differently... Hope they have a VERY good reason...

Background:

Blood carries "stuff" (antigens, i.e. blood groups A/B/AB/rh+) which makes people who don't have the same "stuff" (antigens) in their own body/blood fight it badly if they receive "stuff" which their own body does not know (rejection).

But donors with blood type "O-" means they "have nothing" (they dont have A, dont have B, and dont have AB and they also dont have rh). That means "they ((O- donors) have nothing to fight against" if their blood is given to donors of a different blood group.

This is just the short version, google for details, but it reflects the essence. In case of an emergency I would happily take O- myself (myself being B+)

Edited by TTom911
  • Like 1

An AB- patient can receive A neg, B neg, AB neg and O neg blood.

The problem is that RH negative is very rare in Asians.

I have no idea why the doctors would be saying it has to be AB neg.

A neg blood has the A antigen, which an AB negative patient also has, so no problem.

B neg blood has the B antigen, ditto

O has no antigens as poster above explained.

A neg blood has the A antigen, which an AB negative patient also has, so no problem.

There is no reason why it HAS to be "AB-", as simple as that... other than $$$$$$.......

fingers x-ed and hoping for the best for the little patient

I don't know why either, but the mother was asked, in Thai, and the question rephrased in different ways to be sure she understood why she was being asked, whether she was certain that the doctors could not use O- or A- (the types which would seem to match in my household), and she said she has asked him many times, because many people had been calling wanting to help with those blood types but he had said no. Medically why that would be, I have no idea, not being a doctor, just someone with a basic college bio education. Perhaps if someone were to call the hospital itself and ask the medical staff in charge, the answer could be confirmed and explained better?

I don't know why either, but the mother was asked, in Thai, and the question rephrased in different ways to be sure she understood why she was being asked, whether she was certain that the doctors could not use O- or A- (the types which would seem to match in my household), and she said she has asked him many times, because many people had been calling wanting to help with those blood types but he had said no. Medically why that would be, I have no idea, not being a doctor, just someone with a basic college bio education. Perhaps if someone were to call the hospital itself and ask the medical staff in charge, the answer could be confirmed and explained better?

As Sheryl pointed out in her previous post, the serious issue ("serious" because it s really beyond our control) is that "rh-" or "-" is very rare in Asia (99% are rh+ (NOT suitable for you), less than1% are rh- (which is what you need)). In Europe and the US it's a little better (around 15% are rh- as opposed to 1% here). I am just trying to give you some facts to help you understand what people are talking about (sorry, I know that "answers" would be even better that "facts" for a patient/relatives in need, I know that...).

Absolutely surely, it does not HAVE to be "AB-" !! I explained in my post, Sheryl added further to it. The biggest hurdle is that the donor HAS to be "rh-", unfortunately very rare here in Asia... But if any donor is available who is "rh-", he/she could help big time, weather the donor is A or B or AB or O, it does not matter too much, it has a good chance to work with an AB recipient.

Bottom line: anyone who is "rh-" (whether it is A or B or AB or (best) O), whatever, should donate and the doctors should consider it, in particular in emergency situations !!

Honestly hoping for the best !

Edited by TTom911

I have just checked internet, AB can take from anyone pretty much, AB,A,B,O. some one needs to check this for her. Not sure about the negative positive component.

think I am negative, rare but can take any so no problem ??

I am O negative so can give to other types of blood but I can only take O negative. I had heard that AB negative could only take AB negative. Extremely rare. Only 15% of the population has negative and O is the most common blood type.

I had been informed that Asians had less than a 1% negative population.

I recently had an hip replacement and had to wait a week to get two units of type O negative. I don't know if it was needed or just a back up in case. But it took them a week to find it. One unit from Bangkok and the other from Chiang Mai.

I strongly urge people with visitors coming over who are able and willing to give a unit. I know I have already spoken to my son and he said no problem when he arrives here in February. I believe they can store it up to a year.

The problem can be finding sa place to give it here in Chiang Mai to the best of my knowledge there is two red cross places where you can give the hospitals are not geared up to take it and test it and process it.

Bottom line if you have a visitor who is willing and qualified urge them to give. Many of us are over 60 thereby unable to give. Not sure why. I gave on a regular base until I moved here at 64.

To follow up on my earlier post. I have heard back from head of my wife's school to say that a Canadian man will be coming to the hospital today to donate. My wife also received a call from a parent last night to say that her 10 year old daughter is AB (couldn't be sure + or -) and she will be contacting the hospital today as she wants to help too. Further to this we have one of the largest social gatherings of the school calendar today and we will make an announcement in the opening address to appeal for more donors.

Please keep us updated on how things go. Are thoughts are with the little girl and her Mum. Strength to them.

According to this article she should be able to receive from all negative blood type donors, check with the doctor if there is a reason for specifically AB-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type

This is quite true, but such odd requests are often made - T.I.T.

Because around 98% of Thais are 'O+', I suspect Doctors may not be trained in blood compatibility.

When my daughters were born, my doctor was intrigued that neither had Type 'O'. I learned from him that non 'O' blood is not routinely available and that Thai blood tests do not normally check RH factor. I am AB+, universal recipient and my daughters split that difference, one being A+ the other B+...

She might need plasma, hence the AB only. But believe then it doesn't matter if positive or negative.

But I am not medically trained.

WWII Plasma / blood substitutes included young Cocoanut Milk (filtered & sterilized) and even seawater (filtered and sterilized), for volume - not the best, but more effective than nothing..

Also unusual is the very rare European blood group, Type 'A' being of Western European origin and Type 'B' being of Eastern European Origin.

If the OP is reading this then maybe they can ask the doctor to read this thread too. Also the first link in google for any blood type is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type

The chart demonstrates clearly what the knowledgeable types are saying. What reasons can anybody think of for stating that this little girl HAS to have AB- rather than O-, A-, B-, AB- ?

I suspect there is some miscommunication going on. Almost all TRhais offering to donate will be RH + and thus not suitable donors, it is very, very rare for a Thai to be rh-. The mother may have misunderstood to think that other types of rh- blood cannot be accepted. (That would still pretty much need to come from foreigners). Either that or the doctor is woefully ill-informed.

Being an O- myself it always make me feel sad when I read requests for Rh negative blood

Decades go I received blood. This alone factors me out as a donnor.

Now I am a diabetic with CHF under heavy medication.

Before I set out try and clarify some further "blood donation myths/misunderstandings", including some in khrab's post, I want to make clear that these clarifications do not intend to instill a sense of "heightened responsibility" or even "guilt" into anyone. Everyone must be free to make his/her own decisions, which may include not to donate for some personal reasons. My only intention is that my clarification helps people to make BETTER INFORMED decisions.

With that being said:

If an O- recipient (like khrab) got a transfusion decades ago this in itself does BY NO MEANS prevents such a person per se from becoming/remaining a blood donor. While people with blood type "O-" are "perfect donors" because in an emergency their blood can be given to anyone (hence "O-" called "universal DONORS"), these people, who are such immunologically such "perfect donors", if they need blood themselves are in a tough spot because they can only be given the exact same blood type, "O-". Because of this, if a person like khrab received blood decades ago it will certainly have been an exactly matching "O-" blood transfusion. And unless the donated blood was infected with things like hepatitis or HIV (which is unlikely a this would have become transparent after so many years) THERE IS NO REASON why such an "O-" person with a transfusion history could not be a donor today !!!

Also, diabetes by itself is NOT a reason to be excluded as a blood donor. But it has to be checked on an individual basis if the diabetic patient is healthy enough or has developed risks for his own health (heart diseases, etc.) which could put him at further risk if blood would be donated. But if diabetes is well managed most such diabetics would in most developed countries be eligible for blood donations !

Hope it helps to shed some light on a matter which many (even some doctors.......) confuses. Yes, too much logic can be confusing... wink.png

P.S.: given the length of the post already I refrain from explaining, but I just mention that while an "O-" person is the "universal DONOR", on the other side a person with "AB+" is called a "universal RECIPIENT" as these lucky fellas can get any blood there is ... (broadly speaking)

Edited by TTom911
  • Like 1

Being an O- myself it always make me feel sad when I read requests for Rh negative blood

Before I set out try and clarify some further "blood donation myths/misunderstandings", including some in khrab's post, I want to make clear that these clarifications do not intend to instill a sense of "heightened responsibility" or even "guilt" into anyone. Everyone must be free to make his/her own decisions, which may include not to donate for some personal reasons. My only intention is that my clarification helps people to make BETTER INFORMED decisions.

With that being said:

If an O- recipient (like khrab) got a transfusion decades ago this in itself does BY NO MEANS prevents such a person per se from becoming/remaining a blood donor. While people with blood type "O-" are "perfect donors" because in an emergency their blood can be given to anyone (hence "O-" called "universal DONORS"), these people, who are such immunologically such "perfect donors", if they need blood themselves are in a tough spot because they can only be given the exact same blood type, "O-". Because of this, if a person like khrab received blood decades ago it will certainly have been an exactly matching "O-" blood transfusion. And unless the donated blood was infected with things like hepatitis or HIV (which is unlikely a this would have become transparent after so many years) THERE IS NO REASON why such an "O-" person with a transfusion history could not be a donor today !!!

Also, diabetes by itself is NOT a reason to be excluded as a blood donor. But it has to be checked on an individual basis if the diabetic patient is healthy enough or has developed risks for his own health (heart diseases, etc.) which could put him at further risk if blood would be donated. But if diabetes is well managed most such diabetics would in most developed countries be eligible for blood donations !

Hope it helps to shed some light on a matter which many (even some doctors.......) confuses. Yes, too much logic can be confusing... wink.png

P.S.: given the length of the post already I refrain from explaining, but I just mention that while an "O-" person is the "universal DONOR", on the other side a person with "AB+" is called a "universal RECIPIENT" as these lucky fellas can get any blood there is ... (broadly speaking)

Thank you very much for your interesting clarifications Tom !!

Now it makes sense to me why, in my case, receiving blood before is not a hindrance to donate. In simple words I am stil a "pure breed" for sure.

Sadly I have to say, again, it is beyond my decision to doner or not. For reasons everybody would understand I am nor disclosing my anamnesis here, but let me tell you I can entertain a whole hospital easily .

With that being said:

as an O neg should I be approaching my local hospital to see if they can store my blood in case I ever need it?

I would say "yes" if you feel you want to do something good. We all see here now that some patients really have "a problem" with their rare blood type...A healthy person can easily donate blood minimum once, also no problem to donate twice per year, but to be on the safe side you might want to have a basic health check done first.

I personally never had any health problems myself in my life, feel being in good health and hence I just donated without a checkup. But that was my personal choice (also, being an MD myself). See a doctor first, if you want to be on the safe side !

I would say "yes" if you feel you want to do something good. We all see here now that some patients really have "a problem" with their rare blood type...A healthy person can easily donate blood minimum once, also no problem to donate twice per year, but to be on the safe side you might want to have a basic health check done first.

I personally never had any health problems myself in my life, feel being in good health and hence I just donated without a checkup. But that was my personal choice (also, being an MD myself). See a doctor first, if you want to be on the safe side !

how long can they store it??

Blood consists of a variety of different "valuable assets" ("liquid" and "cells" in the blood) and donated blood would normally be "processed" to separate these "assets" and use/store them separately as needed.

- "red blood cells" which make blood look red and carry oxygen can be frozen in a special process and be kept for up to around a year

- "platelets" are blood cells which help to stop bleeding and are often needed by severely ill cancer/leukemia patients can effectively be used only for less than a week

- "granulocytes" are blood cells which help fight infections and are often needed by cancer/leukemia and other severely ill patients can effectively only be used for a day and hence are used only in highly specialized hospitals

- "fresh frozen plasma" is the "blood liquid without the cells" and contains chemicals helping to control bleedings and can be kept for apt to around a year.

So, we see that one single donation will usually help more than 1 patient in often dire need...