Router Modem

Pattayatony

I have a Dlink DSL-G604T Router which does an excellent job.

It has 4 wired ports and also gives wireless support, but this can be turned off if not required at the moment.

It has 4 wired ports and also gives wireless support, but this can be turned off if not required at the moment.

As Im slower than the usual dial up when it comes to computers. I only have one desk top computer, so what would I need just to keep it simple. Would I need wireless and 4 ports ect ect and how much do these routers cost??? :o

I use a netgear wireless router/modem and works well for me

i have the netgear too, no problems however when wanting to connect to others for online gaming its difficult to setup...in fact cant get it to work for some.

As Im slower than the usual dial up when it comes to computers. I only have one desk top computer, so what would I need just to keep it simple. Would I need wireless and 4 ports ect ect and how much do these routers cost??? :o

In your OP you asked about a Router!!

So that is what we recommended. :D

ADSL modems come in two flavours, USB and Ethernet.

The USB variety plugs in the usb port on your pc and only supports one pc.

The Ethernet kind plug into the ethernet port on your PC and also provide routing facilities

as well as an internal hardware firewall.

The firewall is a definite plus as you computer will now be connected for much longer periods and more vulnerable!

The additional ethernet connections make it easy to connect other computers to share your fast ADSL line.

It also makes it easy for a friend to drop in, with a laptop computer and connect to your machine to share files.

The wireless is an additional feature, which you do not appear to need.

It allows other computer to conenct to the router, without stringing cables from room to room.

My son's machine is conencted in this way

I would go for the Ethernet Router/modem, as you never know when you will need to have another

machine connected, perhaps you when you upgrade to a new computer?

The cost is 4-5000 baht.

The plain USB modem is a little cheaper, but does NOT include the firewall.

Edited by astral

What Astral forgot to tell you is that:

- a USB modem is straight forward, you plug it and it works

- a router allows you to connect more than 1 computer and some have an integrated firewall, but they can be very difficult to set up for some applications to work (forwarding ports).

As Im slower than the usual dial up when it comes to computers

Get a USB modem then.

The SMC router is highly recommended for performance and reliability.

I have an SMC Barricade and will certainly not recommend it. Had it barely 6 weeks and the mains switch gave up - continually arcing - which looks like that was the cause of the thing giving up altogether this week. A hunk of junk :o

- a router allows you to connect more than 1 computer and some have an integrated firewall, but they can be very difficult to set up for some applications to work (forwarding ports).

For most applications port forwarding is not an issue.

If you do need it, we can walk you through the configuration when the time comes :o

For most applications port forwarding is not an issue.

If you do need it, we can walk you through the configuration when the time comes :o

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply. I think I will buy the D LINK USB modem if I get into any trouble I will let you know, once again Thanks.

Cheers Tony

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply. I think I will buy the D LINK USB modem if I get into any trouble I will let you know, once again Thanks.

Cheers Tony

Ok here is a different perspective

If you buy a USB modem you will be permanently using some of the bandwidth available for all USB devices.

Depending on how many USB devices you have connected to your computer you may end up with a problem.

I use a USB 5-1 sound system and regularly have problems with other USB devices. I have quite a few including external disk drives.

My suggestion would be a wireless modem/router and buy a wireless card for your computer. then you have the expansion capability without wires everywhere. Then if you decide to buy a laptop or as someone suggested a friend drops in then you have the capability to expand.

I have a stand alone modem which I plug into a ethernet card and another ethernet card connects to a hub. I think its time I invested in a wireless/router /modem and tidy up some of my wires.

Which ever you buy you should be OK as the explanations are normally ok just make sure you have the user handbook or it is on the CD and not have to connect to the internet to get it.

Which ever way you go good luck

Edited by breconion

The above are all wise words, but Yeti said it best. If you plan to use your connection for online gaming or file sharing, it will be easier for you with a USB modem.

I use the same type of router as Astral, and know how to forward ports, but I would not recommend it to somebody who does not like fiddling with their gear.

The above are all wise words, but Yeti said it best. If you plan to use your connection for online gaming or file sharing, it will be easier for you with a USB modem.

I use the same type of router as Astral, and know how to forward ports, but I would not recommend it to somebody who does not like fiddling with their gear.

I only use a USB for transfering pictures from my Camera to the computer and also have a scanner conected to one.

Cheers Tony

I currently have one computer with adsl connection thru a USB modem. I've recently added another computer and would like to connect that to the internet. What are the simplest options for connecting the 2 computers to the internet as well as sharing files between the 2?

Thanks!

I currently have one computer with adsl connection thru a USB modem. I've recently added another computer and would like to connect that to the internet. What are the simplest options for connecting the 2 computers to the internet as well as sharing files between the 2?

Thanks!

I assume both computers have LAN connections.

Buy a cheap LAN hub, 10Mb/s is quite fast enough,

or even use a crossover cable between them.

In your network settings on the second machine specify the machine connected to the Internet as the "Gateway".

This is exactly why I suggested the OP should buy a modem/router.

You get these facilities for very little extra cost.

Thanks!

I assume both computers have LAN connections.

Buy a cheap LAN hub, 10Mb/s is quite fast enough,

or even use a crossover cable between them.

In your network settings on the second machine specify the machine connected to the Internet as the "Gateway".

This is exactly why I suggested the OP should buy a modem/router.

You get these facilities for very little extra cost.

I bought a USB Modem. I now have it all connected and running. Just want to thank those who took the time to help me.

Cheers Tony :o