5 year driving license, funny business at the police station

cooked

I went to the police station this morning to get confirmation of my address for a 5 year driving license. Ok, we were really early (about 08.30) and had to wait about an hour until the guy turned up, we were treated well in this time.

The guy took a long time in getting my confirmation ready, at the end of all the stuff he was doing he took a foto of me from my wife's wallet, stuck it onto a form and took my finger prints! All ten .. I then signed a lot of stuff as did my wife. ....so I was being put on a file somewhere. He then charged us ฿1000.-, but had to accept the ฿800.- which was all we had (forgot to go to the bank).

What the hell did I do? I don't disagree or dispute things with police officers generally, so I went through with it.

He invited himself to our house for a beer and told us he could get me a lifetime visa extension (no more three monthly reports or applications for extensions) for a 'consideration'. Duuhh... did I get mugged, or am I about to be? Seemed like a nice guy, for a policeman.

What's up the finger printing? I never had to do anything like that at any time in Thailand and certainly not for my 5 year license..

He was giving me value for money. I do know that there is a little observed regulation that non-Thais should announce their presence at the nearest police station (as well as immigration).

At present I am just shrugging and thinking 'Amazing Thailand'.

That's what I thought, I will run away..

That's what the police guy would have done if you were caught with your lifetime visa. biggrin.png

IMO if you consider yourself well established here in Thailand and plan on staying get yourself a Yellow house book saves a lot of hassle.

That's what the police guy would have done if you were caught with your lifetime visa. biggrin.png

IMO if you consider yourself well established here in Thailand and plan on staying get yourself a Yellow house book saves a lot of hassle.

How easy to get a Yellow book?

IMO if you consider yourself well established here in Thailand and on staying get yourself a Yellow house book saves a lot of hassle.

Its not an end all. Some place will accept it and some places will not..

IMO if you consider yourself well established here in Thailand and on staying get yourself a Yellow house book saves a lot of hassle.

It's illegal, so Cooked is a wise man to stay away from this and opening himself up to all kinds of unsavory practices.

If you live in Tambon Tasala, Chiang Mai, almost impossible...

ie. Depends where you live

Sorry, a Thai person or official not accepting Yellow book Thai ID in the some places as you allege are unaware of it's importants until they been instructed otherwise.

I have used my yellow book on nearly every occasion it may be required and never had a problem, in most cases have been complimented on my possession of such.

Also my 5 year driving licences have a Thai ID number now not a passport number. which is also surprising to many people. thumbsup.gif

Easy if your patience and have a Thai wife with a blue book in her name for the house you live.

You get started at your local government office and then go through all the motions required. smile.png

If you live in Tambon Tasala, Chiang Mai, almost impossible...

ie. Depends where you live

http://www.thailandlawonline.com/article-older-archive/thai-house-registration-and-resident-book

You got clipped! Make it a useful lesson that you never go to the police for anything other than reporting criminal activity.

Reporting criminal activities is just as useless as not reporting it.

First they make you wait, then make report, charge you 20 to 100 baht to make you a photocopy, irrespective if you want one or not.

Then close the book, case closed and forgotten

You got clipped! Make it a useful lesson that you never go to the police for anything other than reporting criminal activity.

Reporting criminal activities is just as useless as not reporting it.

First they make you wait, then make report, charge you 20 to 100 baht to make you a photocopy, irrespective if you want one or not.

Then close the book, case closed and forgotten

Well like it or not, if your licence gets stolen or your bike or car etc you'd better report it. whistling.gif

• Like 1