where to live - bangkok or phuket and why

ArranP

Considering moving from one tourist infested, sewer, to the another....mmmmm, tough call !

Why not throw Pattaya in the mix and you have a full set.

All about personal choice, what kind of life you lead, what floats your boat and what you need, give more info you can get specific comment on the merits, or not of either.

• Like 2

Considering moving from one tourist infested, sewer, to the another....mmmmm, tough call !

All about personal choice, what kind of life you lead, what floats your boat and what you need, give more info you can get specific comment on the merits, or not of either.

Unfortunately those are the only 3 places in thailand which have international schools with IB programmes.

• Like 1

Do you like to be in traffic jam all day? In an area where nobody speaks english or don't know how to relax without a computer/cellphone? Where they all point at you and as soon as you passed them talk about the fallang fallang? Then come to BKK.

The good things about BKK is the load of choices where to go, use skytrain, eat what you like, no taxi maffia, not many tourists.

Best would be to live in both places if you can afford that.

• Like 1

Unfortunately those are the only 3 places in thailand which have international schools with IB programmes.

Hence my comment of "what you need" etc, you need to give more details so that people can help provide better feedback and suggestions.

Hence my comment of "what you need" etc, you need to give more details so that people can help provide better feedback and suggestions.

I'd like to listen (or read :-) ) what other people have to say, where they live and what the like about where they live.

I'd like to listen (or read :-) ) what other people have to say, where they live and what the like about where they live.

As said above it depends on your needs and wants... many of us would like to live in a place of our choice but you need to weigh up the practicalities of your situation / position

I've lived and worked in both, and they each have their qualities. At the end of the day It depends on your circumstances. If you're retiring, love the beach and nature, I'd go for Phuket. If you're young, working or raising a family then Bangkok.

HELLS BELLS... after all that time in Phuket you still havnt learnt about nicer places to settle into...My personal recommendation is either AoNang-Krabi or Hua Hin..AONANG is the next most popular up-and-coming tourist destination..You should come and see all the new construction and government road works etc... that is happening here right now..and nobody ever drowns when they go swimming at a beach here....

• Like 1

Now Im staying in Phuket for 6 months. Before I lived in Pattaya and Chiang Mai. After few days I will move to Bangkok.

The first about negative.

Phuket is a nice place for me, but expensive. Here you can not find any food that you like (only in restaurants), here is no Transportation system, people here seems a little angry. And more important for me is NOT good water (really, everyone mention this). I could hardly find usual Kebab in Patong, only at Bangla Road, at Bang Tao area you can find only Muslim fat food or uneatable Thai food. It is far to go to Patong every time I want some variety of food (Im not so rich, though not so poor =)) In Phuket there are no places to visit at all: Phi Phi, Krabi etc are not such beautiful as for example Koh Chang or Koh Kood and very very crowdy!! And it takes at least 1 hour driving by bike to meet with friends at Nai Harn or Kamala area (but its my personal problem).

Now positive:

Ammm... Nature, quiet and peaceful. The sea is near if you need it, fresh seafood (I dont like seafood, but for the rest people it is positive thing), good starting point for travelling in Malaysia. That is all I suppose.

As for Bangkok, I have been there many times but never stood longer than 1 month. The city is noisy, crowdy and polluted. Some areas have bad smell. But you can easily find anything you like for your life: shopping, cheap food, farang food, entertaining centers, even ice rink etc.And all apartments are cheap. If you want to relax near the clean sea, only 4-5 hours by car to Trad and you are in Koh Kood or Koh Chang (same time it takes for me from Bang Tao to Phi Phi island).

So I am bored of Island life, the choice is obvious for me. Everyone has his own life and way.

Thank you!

I've lived and worked in both, and they each have their qualities. At the end of the day It depends on your circumstances. If you're retiring, love the beach and nature, I'd go for Phuket. If you're young, working or raising a family then Bangkok.

Or... if you are retired, live in Bangkok and go for holiday to Phuket.. or Hua Hin ... or ...

I am retired and live in Bangkok. I like the central position making it esy to go quickly anywhere in Thailand - or South East Asia fo that matter. I still go to Phuket occasionnally (once a year), but I would not want to live there. More choices here in Bangkok, both for fun and for intellectual stimulation. And probably cheaper here in Bangkok. (Well, depends on your living standard.)

My house is a bit on the outskirts, quiet, nice neighbors, but - and that's the big downside of Bangkok - the traffic to get into the center can be horrible, especially when everybody is demonstrating. But then again, Phuket is also very bad, as I experienced at me last visit.

My recommendation would be to find a house in the periphery of Bangkok, where the prices are still reasonnable and enjoy the metropolitian athmosphere of Bangkok while being an hour's flight away form any destination in Thailand.

Actually Garden international school and st Andrews international school in Ban Chang both have IB programmes.

Do you like to be in traffic jam all day? In an area where nobody speaks english or don't know how to relax without a computer/cellphone? Where they all point at you and as soon as you passed them talk about the fallang fallang? Then come to BKK.

Which Bangkok do you live in? I've lived here 8 years and never had Thais point at me and say "Falang, falang".

Maybe you have a persecution complex

• Like 2

Its been said before but I'll add my two cents.....its really up to your preferences! First off, you must not like it in Phuket if your looking to move....with that said your main requirement appears to be an International School with an IB program and thats why your looking at Bangkok....which is a city that is 1,568.7 square kilometres (605.7 sq mi)...meaning that within Bangkok there are many, many different types of enviroments.....I live in Pravet near the airport, kings park, Seacon Mall, and Paradise mall. Not many highrises , big roads, great shopping, and great restaurants!.....and by looking at the number of huge homes on huge properties....I would say its an area preferred by some of the elite...and I think a really nice place to live.....want to go to downtown...hop on the Skytrain (or take a taxi ...15 minutes)....

The other areas mentioned Bang Chan ....which I'm looking into the area (Rayong, Ban Phe etc) for a getaway house near the beach...been scouting it out for awhile now and I REALLY like it down there ...close to Bangkok, No Flooding, moderate temperatures (sea breeze) and Rayong seems to have it all (Homepro, Global, 2 Big C's, Tesco, Makro, shopping mall...Lam Tong, and I understand that central is building a new mall in the area....

Its a "toss up" if you ask me....but if I were you I'd at least check them out...

Good Lucksmile.png

Edited by beachproperty

Its been said before but I'll add my two cents.....its really up to your preferences! First off, you must not like it in Phuket if your looking to move....with that said your main requirement appears to be an International School with an IB program and thats why your looking at Bangkok....which is a city that is 1,568.7 square kilometres (605.7 sq mi)...meaning that within Bangkok there are many, many different types of enviroments.....I live in Pravet near the airport, kings park, Seacon Mall, and Paradise mall. Not many highrises , big roads, great shopping, and great restaurants!.....and by looking at the number of huge homes on huge properties....I would say its an area preferred by some of the elite...and I think a really nice place to live.....want to go to downtown...hop on the Skytrain (or take a taxi ...15 minutes)....

The other areas mentioned Bang Chan ....which I'm looking into the area (Rayong, Ban Phe etc) for a getaway house near the beach...been scouting it out for awhile now and I REALLY like it down there ...close to Bangkok, No Flooding, moderate temperatures (sea breeze) and Rayong seems to have it all (Homepro, Global, 2 Big C's, Tesco, Makro, shopping mall...Lam Tong, and I understand that central is building a new mall in the area....

Its a "toss up" if you ask me....but if I were you I'd at least check them out...

Good Lucksmile.png

Pravet, yes I know where that is, I've driven round it when i visited an international school in BangNa, what do you think of Kings Park ? I've visited Mega but not Seacon Mall or Paradise Mall I don't know how they compare ?

There are many housing estates in this area not sure which are some of the nicest, maybe you know of some you like more than others ?

Edited by ArranP

That seems both VERY aggressive and pretty nasty to the people that chose to live in those places (as well as particularly uninformed.) Aren't you the guy that wants TVF to be a kinder and gentler place?

• Like 1

Good Lucksmile.png

Pravet, yes I know where that is, I've driven round it when i visited an international school in BangNa, what do you think of Kings Park ? I've visited Mega but not Seacon Mall or Paradise Mall I don't know how they compare ?

There are many housing estates in this area not sure which are some of the nicest, maybe you know of some you like more than others ?

The kings Park is "huge" and has a resevoir that also is a catch basin for flood run off.....During the "big" floods a few years back Pravet was spared as the government did everything they could to make sure the Airport remained open.. Can't really comment on the Kings Park though as I rarely go though evern though its a 10 minute walk for my house..

Don't like Mega or Paradise as a Mall because they're "high end" expensive......whereas Seacon (which is huge .....I'd venture a guess that it has between 500-1000 shops....many 2 meters/sq ....Its on a main street called Srinakarindra.....an enjoyable day out.

As for housing estates in the areas I like ....there aren't many ....drive around behind Paradise Park (also on Srinakarindra very near Seacon) and you can see how the wealthy live! I would love to buy a rai of land (except it goes for 20 million baht...) and build a house....I bought my house in the area about 10 years ago so it was affordable then (little over 3 million baht)...

Ban Chang and surrounding areas is still very "affordable" ...only 1 1/2 hour drive to where I live in Bangkok, and soon (maybe 5-10 years.....thats soon for Thailand) they are supposed to build a high speed train to Rayong.

Good Luck deciding

Edited by beachproperty

Good Lucksmile.png

The kings Park is "huge" and has a resevoir that also is a catch basin for flood run off.....During the "big" floods a few years back Pravet was spared as the government did everything they could to make sure the Airport remained open.. Can't really comment on the Kings Park though as I rarely go though evern though its a 10 minute walk for my house..

Don't like Mega or Paradise as a Mall because they're "high end" expensive......whereas Seacon (which is huge .....I'd venture a guess that it has between 500-1000 shops....many 2 meters/sq ....Its on a main street called Srinakarindra.....an enjoyable day out.

As for housing estates in the areas I like ....there aren't many ....drive around behind Paradise Park (also on Srinakarindra very near Seacon) and you can see how the wealthy live! I would love to buy a rai of land (except it goes for 20 million baht...) and build a house....I bought my house in the area about 10 years ago so it was affordable then (little over 3 million baht)...

Ban Chang and surrounding areas is still very "affordable" ...only 1 1/2 hour drive to where I live in Bangkok, and soon (maybe 5-10 years.....thats soon for Thailand) they are supposed to build a high speed train to Rayong.

Good Luck deciding

Thanks, I'm thinking the kids will be better off in BKK than Phuket, it will be a better place for them to grow up.

I stayed in PKT 1,5 yrs, than moved to BKK. Now in BKK for 3 yrs.

BKK much better if you ask me.

Before I couldn't imagine how some-one can live in BKK, and now opposite.

If you move to BKK you have to find a convenience place, and this huge city will show you her nice face.

Before I thought: who idiot want to use car in BKK. Now I use car 50 000 Km / year, and I can tell you if you have enough knowledgen this city much better than many EU or Amerian big city.

Always happens something in BKK, and if you miss beach also not far (off course not the dirty pattaya).

That's all.

NEITHER..!!

Phuket is a tourist trap and, unless you are in the tourist industry (bar girl, boats, diving, etc.) is undesirable.

Bangkok, on the other hand is one of the dirtiest cities on earth.

To have a normal life, to raise kids, etc. I would recommend any small town far from the madding crowd.

dighambara, the OP needs access to international schools for his kids. Unless he plans to drive from Rayong to Pattaya twice a day to drop them off and pick them up, he seems to have a choice between Bangkok and CM - I'm sure he's happy to hear other suggestions.

Edit: board rules prohibit me from linking to the blog where I got this, but its a little discouraging to find that Hua Hin doesnt seem to have an international school worth mentioning - anyone ?

It's important to state at the outset that Hua Hin is still developing and the educational establishments in town will not measure up to what you can find back home. However, they are improving and as the demand for good-quality, recognised curricula increases, so the chances of Hua Hin getting a good international school are better. For the time being, Bangkok has the best selection, some of which have boarding facilities, although they can be very expensive.

Edited by MrWorldwide

Sorry cany you please explain the only 3 int schools with ib programmes?

I've been to Phuket, Pattaya and lived in Bangkok for two years. I like Bangkok because it's central to everything else. Like one of the other members said, there's no taxi mafia and tourists in BKK are a dime a dozen. There's loads to see and do however, I've been in Pattaya and like one of the other members said, it depends on what you like. I found that Pattaya is much cheaper than BKK to live, the restaurants are cheaper. There may be less restaurants than BKK, but there is still plenty to choose from. If the sex tourist thing is your cup of tea then you will be right at home. You can find the same things in BKK which are probably slightly more expensive, but I guess it just depends on where you want to be. Life by the sea is a great, the sunsets and sunrises in Pattaya are great and you don't have to be stuck in traffic jams all day like in BKK. Hope this helps.