Screwed Up Pc

johna

This is a continuation of a previous post,

I have a totally screwed up version of Win XP running on my PC, for the last week it’s been hel_l

I am denied access to all Microsoft and yahoo is going crazy, when I try to attach a file to email the PC goes to south; the number of problems I am now experiencing are too great to enumerate.

So I will be In Bkk for a couple of days this week and would like to know if any one can recommend a specific shop that can reinstall Win XP. I'm still have the original disk and previous attempts to install failed even taking my PC to a local shop ended disappointingly

Any suggestions welcomed

I have a totally screwed up version of Win XP running on my PC, for the last week it’s been hel_l

I am denied access to all Microsoft and yahoo is going crazy, when I try to attach a file to email the PC goes to south; the number of problems I am now experiencing are too great to enumerate.

So I will be In Bkk for a couple of days this week and would like to know if any one can recommend a specific shop that can reinstall Win XP. I'm still have the original disk and previous attempts to install failed even taking my PC to a local shop ended disappointingly

Any suggestions welcomed

You dont sound comfortable rebuilding your pc but have you considered trying a reinstall of XP first?

Take a look at this MS support doc explaining how to do it.

Win XP Reinstallation

A reinstall will (should) keep all your installed application and settings as they were so its an easy operation.

You could also try reapplying Service Pack 2

How to obtain the latest service pack

that will often cure the problem as well

Neither jobs should take more than an hour and could save you the expense of going to BKK.

Thanks Para, here's what happened...

My hard disk crashed and had to be replaced, my wife took the PC to the shop and they replaced the disk and installed a pirate version of Win XP with many unwanted features.

I tried to reinstall XP at home but Microsoft would not accept the product key number, so I take the PC back to the shop with the original XP disk and they say they can reinstall, when I pick up the PC it had been shrink rapped (I had that sinking feeling) and the guy was not available to answer questions.

Not surprised when I get home and find that I have a pirate version of XP which for the last 2 weeks has been getting slowly worse.

My PC is running very slow, will not perform many tasks and am denied access to Microsoft, so I figure its just a question of time before the whole thing heads south.

I have to be in Bkk for a couple of days this coming week and would like to take advantage of this to get the PC looked at

I would like a specific shop recommendation as going into Pantip Plaza and asking for help does not make me feel good.

Any advice well come.

I agree sounds like it time for a (re-)rebuild nothing like quality after support is there.

Sorry cant help with the name of decent service tech in BKK now if you were Pattaya way I just might of happen to know someone. ;-)

Any suggestions welcomed

where are you located john??

I too have a problem with a pirated copy of XP Pro. I just had all kinds of problems and couldn't fix them myself. The real problem was with the processor. I took the computer to the best shop up here along with my legal XP Pro disk, the motherboard disk and any other driver disks I had. I got the machine back and it works fine. It took me two days to get everything back to where I had it before the big crash. Now I find out that my XP Pro is not legal. He apparently didn't use my legal copy. I put the legal copy in the drive and it tells me that the copy on my machine is newer than the copy on the disk. If I install the legal copy all my files will be lost and cannot be retrieved. I was almost ready to bite the bullet and format the hard drive to start over until it dawned on me that I still might have a problem because of the new processor. That would be a lot of work for nothing if XP Pro doesn't recognize the new processor.

Even with a new processor you should be able to load your legal version of XP Pro and get it working.

You may have to telephone MS for authentication.

Download this: _http://anonym.to/?http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/axhelper.zip

Unzip

Launch axhelper.exe

Select: "Load ActiveX list from the following CLSID/ProdID list:"

Enter: LegitCheckControl.LegitCheck.1

Click OK

Right click and "Disable selected item"

Close Internet Explorer

Windows Update should then work