Finding the perfect bar

Gaccha

Having earnestly spent 2003-2013 investigating every single bar in the city of Bangkok I regret to inform you that you are in the wrong country for finding such a place!

I think it says a lot that Hitchens never moved here..!

The Offshore came pretty close though until Preston relegated to League One.

Things haven't been the same ever since.

• Like 1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many years ago there used to be a bar in Casablanca. Rick's. "Everybody goes to Rick's."

Don't think it's ever been beat. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Feeling old tonight ...

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Been there and it's good and surprisingly not expensive.

It's surrounded by some good jewellery shops which are good value but the costs add up if you aren't alone...

I used to venture into the old Pickled Liver in the afternoon for a few pints of Chang when they had their special running....don't remember much of those evenings!

Yes was usually a decent crowd in there.

Nobody would expect you to remember much after 'a few' pints of Chang.

Had a very long night with 3 of the old lady's girlfriends. It was only when she eventually woke up at 14:30 and got on the phone to tell the world what I had got up/down to that I learned about it.

And no, change gears, not what you might be thinking!

But that was in our 'local', never seen a farang in there. Well, it's stumbling distance and there are plenty of helping arms when needed... which seems to get more often these days.

• Like 1

Clearly Hitchens was not even remotely thinking of Bangkok when he wrote this lyrical description.

Indeed, a brilliant and literary mind such as his would have been bored to tears with the Bangkok ex-pat bar patron -- if typical of the regular posters on this forum who know nothing of Thailand, the culture, or language.

What could you have told Hitchens that he wouldn't have already known?

Clearly Hitchens was not even remotely thinking of Bangkok when he wrote this lyrical description.

Indeed, a brilliant and literary mind such as his would have been bored to tears with the Bangkok ex-pat bar patron -- if typical of the regular posters on this forum who know nothing of Thailand, the culture, or language.

What could you have told Hitchens that he wouldn't have already known?

Well, i didn't exactly want to put it that way...

But i have met some fascinating and brilliant people in bangkok; there was a guy kidnapped in Afghanistan, a tiger tamer, and a guy who recalled meeting Hitler at his local village-- twice.

I suppose they don't go to the bars.

• Like 1

I feel a bit sorry for the pickled liver in its new location, i have many happy memories of the old place from my early days of living in BKK. The bar itself is fine if missing the atmos of the old place esp on a big footie night, the problem is the location stuck down the end of 7/1 the pits of the lower suk sois IMO. Real shame they had to move, as a matter of principal, I have never set foot in the French place that took over their old location on 11/1 though I am told the food is not bad in there!

Edited by wordchild
  • Like 1

... did you make it to Thai style bars?

Where I drink, large beer 75 baht, no "my shit dont stink" attitude from serving wenches, never heard the term, "Cheap Charlie" or "kee niaow" used.

I reckon that it would make a great thread ... I, for one, would like to read your experiences.

I've never actually been to a 'Thai Pub'.

You'll get your knockers (no pun intended) ... but there will be the majority who would love to read the experience.

Maybe a photo or two for the OP for interest.

Up to you, but I'm always positive ... why not.

When I'm not at work I spend my time 50/50 between BKK and Isaan.

Pretty central BKK, only 10 mins to Suk, but off the beaten track. We have a whole strip of Thai restaurants and bars. Great places and never seen another farang in any of them.

Well that's my 2 Satang's worth

I don't know the attraction of Cheap Charlies either. It's not even that cheap, think 90B for a small bottle of beer?

All the bars where I live do big bottles for between 70 to 100B so if somewhere is going to claim to be cheap it should actually be cheap.

I think it's a sort of reverse sarcasm (have I got that right?). Or inverted snobbery?

If you drink there then it shows you aren't a Cheap Charlie, though there aren't any ladies around to impress anyway.

The new tapas place on Soi 8 is good....but not much of an atmosphere. Its all about the locals an good conversation for me.

Just to add we ate there this evening and the food was excellent.

Do the Mod Gods allow you to quote the name? Otherwise, how far down and on left or right?

I don't know the attraction of Cheap Charlies either. It's not even that cheap, think 90B for a small bottle of beer?

All the bars where I live do big bottles for between 70 to 100B so if somewhere is going to claim to be cheap it should actually be cheap.

I think it's a sort of reverse sarcasm (have I got that right?). Or inverted snobbery?

If you drink there then it shows you aren't a Cheap Charlie, though there aren't any ladies around to impress anyway.

I don't think it's intended as sarcasm. Being in soi 11 it's cheaper than most of the other 'high end' venues that you'll find there.

I just don't see the appeal of the place. I can stand around in the street and drink beer anywhere for a cheaper price than Cheap Charlies offers if I wanted to so why go all the way to Soi 11 to do it?

• Like 1

The new tapas place on Soi 8 is good....but not much of an atmosphere. Its all about the locals an good conversation for me.

Do the Mod Gods allow you to quote the name? Otherwise, how far down and on left or right?

i believe the tapas bar is around 40 mtrs down on the right more or less opposite the soi 8 new zealand bar.
  • Like 1

i believe the tapas bar is around 40 mtrs down on the right more or less opposite the soi 8 new zealand bar.

Many thanks, will check it out.

I don't think it's intended as sarcasm. Being in soi 11 it's cheaper than most of the other 'high end' venues that you'll find there.

I just don't see the appeal of the place. I can stand around in the street and drink beer anywhere for a cheaper price than Cheap Charlies offers if I wanted to so why go all the way to Soi 11 to do it?

Too true, especially if you aren't a sort of wannabe (but can't make it) Hi-so poser

494 at Grand Hyatt.
maybe doesn't meet all the criteria but its a good after work meeting place if you fancy a glass of wine rather than a beer.

Possibly one of the longest happy hours going around if I'm not mistaken...

My regular bar is Aqua at the Four Seasons, yes it's up there with the 'well to do' brigade, but the staff there all know my wife and myself by name - she's been a regular there for going on 10 years and myself going on 3 - and rarely have to ask for what we want to drink, a simple "meuan derm Khun Grant?" and we're away.

It's all about the atmosphere and feeling comfortable for me, I'm not a huge fan of Suk soi anywhere really even if I was to be going out with mates, but it wouldn't stop me from going (the wife would probably see to that hahah), just a creature of habit and all that.

There's a couple of joints in in Thonglor that I don't mind stopping in for a couple every now and then, Mellow and Bad Motel

she's been a regular there for going on 10 years and myself going on 3 - and rarely have to ask for what we want to drink, a simple "meuan derm Khun Grant?" and we're away.

I've only been going to my current local for 6 months and within 2 months they stopped asking what I wanted and brought out a big Leo every time. Nice that they remembered but some times I do actually just want a coke (especially in the afternoon when I have stuff to do online) or plan to get on the whisky.

Don't get a choice as it's opened and on the table without even so much as a "sawadee kap" being exchanged. It's lie they can sense me coming from 100 yards.

494 at Grand Hyatt.

maybe doesn't meet all the criteria but its a good after work meeting place if you fancy a glass of wine rather than a beer.

Possibly one of the longest happy hours going around if I'm not mistaken...

My regular bar is Aqua at the Four Seasons, yes it's up there with the 'well to do' brigade, but the staff there all know my wife and myself by name - she's been a regular there for going on 10 years and myself going on 3 - and rarely have to ask for what we want to drink, a simple "meuan derm Khun Grant?" and we're away.

It's all about the atmosphere and feeling comfortable for me, I'm not a huge fan of Suk soi anywhere really even if I was to be going out with mates, but it wouldn't stop me from going (the wife would probably see to that hahah), just a creature of habit and all that.

There's a couple of joints in in Thonglor that I don't mind stopping in for a couple every now and then, Mellow and Bad Motel

Very much agree we are creatures of habit.I frequent my 'very' locals and am almost forgetting how to speak English. Unfortunately if I want (often) to go farther afield, there aren't in walking distance, it depends on which day, time of day, raining or not.

You all know the score but it does restrict you. Don't want to spend half a day in a taxi when I could do it in 10 mins on a Sunday afternoon

I saw a review in the Bangkok Post recently of an oak-panelled style of hotel bar (presumably 5 star-ish hotel) which I was going to suggest to some friends coming shortly that they may enjoy, but I have forgotten the name of both the hotel and bar. Sound familiar to anyone? It is beginning to bug me and I would appreciate any suggestions.

Edited by rott

I saw a review in the Bangkok Post recently of an oak-panelled style of hotel bar (presumably 5 star-ish hotel) which I was going to suggest to some friends coming shortly that they may enjoy, but I have forgotten the name of both the hotel and bar. Sound familiar to anyone? It is beginning to bug me and I would appreciate any suggestions.

Possibly sounds like Bamboo Bar at The Oriental...

Hey ... since we are talking Bars ... can anyone explain why Cheap Charlies works (is successful) in Suk Soi 11?

I just don't understand it ... more correctly ... the attraction to go there.

A rare mix of expat and non-ho local clientele. And the old manager, English Bob. I'm sure lots of tequila plays a part too.

I don't go to that part of Sukhumvit too often and last time I was out there me and the girl I was with decided we should walk down a few of the sois and see what we could find.

Saw Bangkok Beat and couldn't figure out what the deal was with it, just a live music bar?

Also discovered a blowjob bar, some sort of sex club, a beer garden place packed full of men and hookers in the early evening and lots more places I forget.

In the end we didn't find anywhere we thought worth going into.

SO where did you find your girlie,must have been big C then?

bangkok beat is nice place to play pool and listen to some very good

music and chill with some girls or not.many of the girls in there are

not working girls? but just out for some fun,thai girls and boys like fun

too.

As for the blow job bar it is called DOCTOR B Js and serves its perpose,

we are in bangkok you nooooooclap2.gif .

The beer garden is <deleted> ing great ,good food and the girls leave you alone

but they are their if you want them and they are all FL .

YOU CAN NOT FIND ANYWHERE WORTH GOING INTO

then go home,crazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif

• Like 1

I don't go to that part of Sukhumvit too often and last time I was out there me and the girl I was with decided we should walk down a few of the sois and see what we could find.

Saw Bangkok Beat and couldn't figure out what the deal was with it, just a live music bar?

Also discovered a blowjob bar, some sort of sex club, a beer garden place packed full of men and hookers in the early evening and lots more places I forget.

In the end we didn't find anywhere we thought worth going into.

too.

we are in bangkok you noooooo:clap2: .

then go home,crazy.gif:crazy:crazy.gif

Should have gone to DrBJ and let your GF watch and learn.

Possibly sounds like Bamboo Bar at The Oriental...

Thanks for the help GS, will check it out next week.

too.

we are in bangkok you nooooooclap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif .

then go home,crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gifcrazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gifcrazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

I certainly didn't find her in a bar or hanging around Sukhumvit.

So you're telling me that regular non working girls hang around in Bangkok Beat looking to hook up with farang? Think you're kidding yourself there or just don't realize they are pro's.

I didn't go home just to a more respectable part of Bangkok that isn't infested with pro's & sex tourists.

too.

we are in bangkok you nooooooclap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif .

then go home,crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gifcrazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gifcrazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

I certainly didn't find her in a bar or hanging around Sukhumvit.

So you're telling me that regular non working girls hang around in Bangkok Beat looking to hook up with farang? Think you're kidding yourself there or just don't realize they are pro's.

I didn't go home just to a more respectable part of Bangkok that isn't infested with pro's & sex tourists.

Wow aren't we up ourselves !!

So it must have been on the net then.cheesy.gifangry.png

• 3 weeks later...

Could be MUSE hotel at Langsuan.

Has to have hot women, cold beer, special happy hour prices, good service without scamming, a pleasant manager/owner who can deal with people politely, and a wide-assed swiveling stool with armrests and cushions. Music must not be blasting, and absolutely no rave or electronic music. Should be upbeat and happy...lots of mirrors and not brightly lit. Pool tables.

If you can find it........I will not stray, but remain there as long as I can walk and talk.

It is all pretty obvious...isn't it?