Finding the perfect bar

Gaccha

I was prompted by the musings of the sadly deceased Christopher Hitchens on the ideal bar:

“What does one seek in a place of refreshment? Or what qualities, once found, make one think of a bar as in some way one's own? I would list in no special order the following features. The place should be open early and late and in between. In line with this, it should be a setting of moods: a slow start in the mid-morning, a bit of a bulge around lunchtime, a languorous afternoon and then a gradual quickening of pace after 6 p.m. …“

I have not yet found one in Bangkok, but I think it might exist…

“Those who staff the place should by all means recognize a faithful patron, and pull the trick of pouring the favorite bracer as soon as he shuffles in, but they should also recognize those times when he wants to read, or write, or brood, or recuperate. …”

I think the general amiability of Thai bar staff allows this ideal.

“The clientele should be various, but not atomized. One wants the certainty of a few familiar faces, but not too many of them or not except at predictable phases of the day. In other words, my true bar should have an element of cafe-society to it; a place for newspapers and espresso as well as cocktails and basic food…”

This is trickier. The bar will have to be out of the farang ghettoes, or at least off the beaten track. There are plenty of interesting farang; those with interesting lives and those who are good conversationalists (not necessarily the same people), but too many in the farang ghettos play to every cliché of the worse of farangness.

The famed Mandarin Oriental’s authors’ lounge (http://www.mandarinoriental.com/bangkok/fine-dining/authors-lounge/ ) would have been a bit like this a few decades back… at least in my vivid imagination: famous and educated people heading in and out of town.

A place in Khao San I know—the Fabulous Dessert Café-- has a great layout in the theme of a 50’s messy study, perfect music (not jazz, but not annoying to the ear. I’ve heard African rap… and early Sinatra), and sells coffees and cocktails. The problem is there is no bar, and the customers don’t mingle. But the seats are cosy.

For Bangkok, a café having a garden but still in the centre of things is a treat. And I often end up sitting in the café with a garden on soi 16 Sukhumvit: Coffee Alley in the Garden. But there are no cocktails and no mingling and no bar.

I like Oskbar bar on soi 11 for the cocktails, and the FCCT for the jazz nights, the interesting people, and the sofas.

There must be somewhere. I want to walk in, sit at the long bar, order a vodka gimlet, find an Egyptologist… or an astronaut ( I met one once at a bar) …. Or a teacher with an intense interest in Kant’s Critique. The lights will be low, there will be no TV, but gentle music, the smokers will be out the bar, the staff will be friendly and clever. The bar will not be too crowded, there will be few or no bar girls.

(Here is the Hitchens in the American Spectator in 2001: http://spectator.org/articles/56729/loup-may-2001)

• Like 2

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have yet to find somewhere to call 'home' either. There's plenty of places I don't mind and many more I'll happily drink at (I'm not that fussy if the beer is reasonably priced) but none that I like so much I'll go out my way to visit. I just end up in a place close to my apartment most of the time and it's not that exciting.

• Like 1

Bars are all about atmosphere and there are few with a regular set of interesting locals in Bangkok.

CheckInn99 is pleasant but more of an evening destination for me.....in that vein I like the bar at Zuma as well....although pricier....good soft shell crab, a couple of beers and pleasant music.

For drinking sessions I prefer one of the British style pubs.....Crossbar usually but I wish he would drop his prices again! tongue.png

• Like 1

Let us know if you find it. But then you don't want it invaded.

My 'local' is on the corner of Soi 5, they produce the Singha & ice before I have a chance to sit down. And CheckInn99 is only 2 doors away

So what's the name?

The only pub I know in that vicinity is The Game. Not much of a fan of sports bars but if I can get a seat on the outer balcony area it's a good place to people watch. Funny seeing Arab couples and over excited Indian men dressed like it's still the 70s buying giant dildos and other sex toys.

At 100B for a small beer it's a bit over priced though. I pay 90B in my local for a big beer.

I've tried to check out Check Inn 99 3 times now. Once closed, another time a Halloween show on that required a ticket and another time something going on that involved paying to get in. I don't pay to go in pubs.

So I've yet to sample it. Soon. Fancy checking out the Sunday afternoonn jazz session.

Bars are all about atmosphere and there are few with a regular set of interesting locals in Bangkok.

CheckInn99 is pleasant but more of an evening destination for me.....in that vein I like the bar at Zuma as well....although pricier....good soft shell crab, a couple of beers and pleasant music.

For drinking sessions I prefer one of the British style pubs.....Crossbar usually but I wish he would drop his prices again! xtongue.png.pagespeed.ic.HP_JpdOU4y.webp alt=tongue.png width=20 height=20>

Where is Crossbar?

The Londoner is a decent enough Brit style pub there's something missing IMO. I don't know what it is. Despite being their several times I don't really feel at home. Their craft beer isn't too bad.

There's a bar a bit further down the street on the opposite side of the road from Londoner if walking in direction of Asoke. I've no idea what it's called but it's all bamboo inside. It's a mad house and I would never think of going in there normally but someone I was with dragged me in and it was a good laugh. Full of bar girls which I usually avoid but they have bands on playing Esarn music and when no band up the girls who work there up doing Esarn karaoke music and all dancing around like mad women. Cheap cocktails too and a good laugh and they even let me go behind the bar and make my own cocktail. Not a place for a quiet beer and chat however.

Let us know if you find it. But then you don't want it invaded.

My 'local' is on the corner of Soi 5, they produce the Singha & ice before I have a chance to sit down. And CheckInn99 is only 2 doors away

So what's the name?

The only pub I know in that vicinity is The Game. Not much of a fan of sports bars but if I can get a seat on the outer balcony area it's a good place to people watch. Funny seeing Arab couples and over excited Indian men dressed like it's still the 70s buying giant dildos and other sex toys.

At 100B for a small beer it's a bit over priced though. I pay 90B in my local for a big beer.

I've tried to check out Check Inn 99 3 times now. Once closed, another time a Halloween show on that required a ticket and another time something going on that involved paying to get in. I don't pay to go in pubs.

So I've yet to sample it. Soon. Fancy checking out the Sunday afternoonn jazz session.

For drinking sessions I prefer one of the British style pubs.....Crossbar usually but I wish he would drop his prices again! xtongue.png.pagespeed.ic.HP_JpdOU4y.webp alt=tongue.png width=20 height=20>

Where is Crossbar?

The Londoner is a decent enough Brit style pub there's something missing IMO. I don't know what it is. Despite being their several times I don't really feel at home. Their craft beer isn't too bad.

There's a bar a bit further down the street on the opposite side of the road from Londoner if walking in direction of Asoke. I've no idea what it's called but it's all bamboo inside. It's a mad house and I would never think of going in there normally but someone I was with dragged me in and it was a good laugh. Full of bar girls which I usually avoid but they have bands on playing Esarn music and when no band up the girls who work there up doing Esarn karaoke music and all dancing around like mad women. Cheap cocktails too and a good laugh and they even let me go behind the bar and make my own cocktail. Not a place for a quiet beer and chat however.

It's sort of eponymous, exactly on the corner of Suk and Soi 5, unmissable.

To the next poster, where exactly is this one across from the Londoner? If you can remember ha ha

The Pickled Liver, Suk Soi 7/1. Smallish, quiet enough to be neighborhoodish (strange on that street, I know) and enough regulars so that you begin to recognize faces (and I don't even live in Bangkok...yet.) Sports on TV, wooden deck out front, quiz night once a week. First place I've ever seen someone order a french fry sandwich (chip sandwich for some of you). One of the better Happy Hour prices for Guinness and Magner's I've yet to find (200thb). You gotta be able to ignore the ladyboys in the bar next door but other than that....

Edited by Diplomatico

The Pickled Liver, Suk Soi 7/1. Smallish, quiet enough to be neighborhoodish (strange on that street, I know) and enough regulars so that you begin to recognize faces (and I don't even live in Bangkok...yet.) Sports on TV, wooden deck out front, quiz night once a week. First place I've ever seen someone order a french fry sandwich (chip sandwich for some of you). One of the better Happy Hour prices for Guinness and Magner's I've yet to find (200thb). You gotta be able to ignore the ladyboys in the bar next door but other than that....

Mate ... what the Pickled Liver like?

I've been a hundred times (Ok, maybe 20 times) into soi 7/1 ... but I'm just heading for Bangkok Beat for a bit of Music.

I've never seen any LB's in the Soi ... what is the Bar you mention?

I did try and look on Google Earth ... but maybe their van didn't drive down the Soi as I can see from about the Subway at the entrance ... but naught past that.

I don't go to that part of Sukhumvit too often and last time I was out there me and the girl I was with decided we should walk down a few of the sois and see what we could find.

Saw Bangkok Beat and couldn't figure out what the deal was with it, just a live music bar?

Also discovered a blowjob bar, some sort of sex club, a beer garden place packed full of men and hookers in the early evening and lots more places I forget.

In the end we didn't find anywhere we thought worth going into.

I don't go to that part of Sukhumvit too often and last time I was out there me and the girl I was with decided we should walk down a few of the sois and see what we could find.

Saw Bangkok Beat and couldn't figure out what the deal was with it, just a live music bar?

Also discovered a blowjob bar, some sort of sex club, a beer garden place packed full of men and hookers in the early evening and lots more places I forget.

In the end we didn't find anywhere we thought worth going into.

Is that the old, Absolut Bar?

If so, those who frequent the area have told me its popular with freelancers, but dont let people on here know, they like to think they have picked up a "normal" girl.

The rest of your post makes sense, there is nothing in that part of town worth going to, certainly not with a woman in tow, most go to pick one up, or be picked up by freelancers.

• Like 1

I've been a hundred times (Ok, maybe 20 times) into soi 7/1 ... but I'm just heading for Bangkok Beat for a bit of Music.

I did try and look on Google Earth ... but maybe their van didn't drive down the Soi as I can see from about the Subway at the entrance ... but naught past that.

The Pickled Liver is set up as sort of a shrine to Man U footballer George Best....numerous photos of him hang in the pub. They show rugby and football (and in the afternoons I can usually talk them into turning on whatever golf tournament is on that day.) Quiz night is Thursdays, I think.

It's the last building on the right, before the Soi bends around the corner to the right, as you walk away from Sukhumvit. It's a couple of businesses past the garishly white lit blowjob bar, on the right. The lady boys hang out in front of the place just before it, don't know it's name. Across the street is a budget hotel named Maxim's.

They serve both Western and Thai food although I think some of it might be brought in from another venue (some of the Thai food, maybe?) Apparently there is a pool table upstairs but I've never been upstairs so I can't verify that. Big plus - unlike many of the Brit style pubs, the loo is on the first floor and not the second or third floor.

I'm usually only there during Happy Hour when it's just a few regulars and the Thai staff (two guys and a girl). No bar girls in the place, which is something I've noticed in Bangkok that seems systemic - if the bar sells Guinness, there aren't any bar girls around haranguing you. Guinness and Magner's on tap. (Almost forgot - free WiFi too.)

Here's a link to the website....you can see what the front of the place looks like. See you there sometime, maybe....I'll be there in a couple of weeks.

http://thepickledliver.com/

Edited by theoldgit
Quote fixed
  • Like 2

There is a big difference in the The Best Pub, and The Best Bar. A bar is a slighly pretentious, arrogant upstart of the pub. Read though Hitchens' article to see the difference. Certainly no TVs, no laddishness, more intellectual chat.

There is a big difference in the The Best Pub, and The Best Bar. A bar is a slighly pretentious, arrogant upstart of the pub. Read though Hitchens' article to see the difference. Certainly no TVs, no laddishness, more intellectual chat.

Now there's rules to drinking too? Good lord, what next?

I like bars that I like, no matter what the late Mr Hitchens has to grouse about them.

Now there's rules to drinking too? Good lord, what next?

I like bars that I like, no matter what the late Mr Hitchens has to grouse about them.

Yes, there are rules. There are normatively-approved behaviours in every bar. The one you like will be soaked with rules... you just don't notice because you like it so much.

• Like 2

The Pickled Liver, Suk Soi 7/1. Smallish, quiet enough to be neighborhoodish

The Pickled Liver

It's the last building on the right, ...

Here's a link to the website....you can see what the front of the place looks like. See you there sometime, maybe....I'll be there in a couple of weeks.

Warmly appreciate the info.

I rarely go into these place but, based on your excellent critique ... I might just drop by for a Happy Hour drink.

If I do ... I'll give you a heads up and happy to extend the nuber of guys I've met here.

Cheers ... drunk.gif

The Pickled Liver, Suk Soi 7/1. Smallish, quiet enough to be neighborhoodish

The Pickled Liver

It's the last building on the right, ...

Warmly appreciate the info.

I rarely go into these place but, based on your excellent critique ... I might just drop by for a Happy Hour drink.

If I do ... I'll give you a heads up and happy to extend the nuber of guys I've met here.

Cheers ... drunk.gif

I used to venture into the old Pickled Liver in the afternoon for a few pints of Chang when they had their special running....don't remember much of those evenings!

Yes was usually a decent crowd in there.

What's wrong with ladyboys...I find transgenderphobes much more annoying!

What's wrong with ladyboys...I find transgenderphobes much more annoying!

Mate ... if that's directed at me ... blink.png

I'm sure it's an innocent mistake.

I've said many times on many threads that I reckon they're OK ... had many a laugh over the years with them.

Just keep the crazy ones away ... and we probably recognise that there a fair share of them ... and no wonder the amount of hormone drugs they take.

Certainly, in their mind, they are not men and I respect and can understand this.

In a nutshell, I'm a sympathiser, though not an admirer ... does that make sense.

• Like 1