Finding the perfect bar

Gaccha

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a few years looking I have found the perfect bar - never a poor atmosphere, entertaining English landlord with an incredible Thai wife, genuine clientele, 15 or so salaried girls that have a 6th sense whether you want company or not and all stunning, genuine and fabulously courteous without being subservient, perfectly measured lighting, and a sign on the door that says 'No Indians' so you don't need to witness 5 or 6 men having spent about 500 baht between them all night asking for a discount. Perfect !

Been in hundreds of BKK's bars in my time - now I know I don't need to go anywhere else - this is perfection.

Sadly I would rather lose a kidney than give the name away !

Because you like the place and entertaining, hard working landlord so much you want him to go out of business due to not finding additional customers?

Makes sense. rolleyes.gif

(Though if this was just a troll / flame-bait with that reference to their bigoted policy then well done; always appreciate those. thumbsup.gif )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

The Pickled Liver, Suk Soi 7/1. Smallish, quiet enough to be neighborhoodish (strange on that street, I know) and enough regulars so that you begin to recognize faces (and I don't even live in Bangkok...yet.) Sports on TV, wooden deck out front, quiz night once a week. First place I've ever seen someone order a french fry sandwich (chip sandwich for some of you). One of the better Happy Hour prices for Guinness and Magner's I've yet to find (200thb). You gotta be able to ignore the ladyboys in the bar next door but other than that....

Mate ... what the Pickled Liver like?

I've been a hundred times (Ok, maybe 20 times) into soi 7/1 ... but I'm just heading for Bangkok Beat for a bit of Music.

I've never seen any LB's in the Soi ... what is the Bar you mention?

I did try and look on Google Earth ... but maybe their van didn't drive down the Soi as I can see from about the Subway at the entrance ... but naught past that.

What's wrong with ladyboys...I find transgenderphobes much more annoying!

Mate ... if that's directed at me ... blink.png

I'm sure it's an innocent mistake.

I've said many times on many threads that I reckon they're OK ... had many a laugh over the years with them.

Just keep the crazy ones away ... and we probably recognise that there a fair share of them ... and no wonder the amount of hormone drugs they take.

Certainly, in their mind, they are not men and I respect and can understand this.

In a nutshell, I'm a sympathiser, though not an admirer ... does that make sense.

Sorry for the confusion...my post wast directed at Diplomatico. I should have quoted him directly to avoid any misunderstanding. If only more people had your attitude towards ladyboys everything would be so mellow :)

• Like 1

The japanese have many small water holes between Phrom Phong and Thong Lor, that look like something you'd like, unfortunately it is japanese only.

Bar culture is woefully lacking in Thailand, if we're not talking pubs.

The bar owners who don't allow Indians, Russians, Arabs, Whatevers might end up regretting that considering the massive increase in those sort of tourists and often with plenty of money to spend especially considering a lot of the Westerners are complaining about the rising cost of Thailand and considering moving elsewhere or not visiting Thailand anymore.

The old Dubliner by Phrom Pong used to be one of my favourite bars in Bangkok,not been into the new one so far,does anyone have anything to report on it?

Owned by all your boiler room chiseler mates, isn't it?

I've certainly heard the stories as has everyone else,doesn't make the beer taste any better or worse for me though.

You'd obviously know much better than me as these are your circles,aren't they?

I've always found that the best bars are away from the tourist areas especially midweek when they are more peaceful. Some good ones over the river, mainly staffed by vietnamese girls , very friendly and not too hard nosed

Any favourite watering holes to recommend?

The old Dubliner by Phrom Pong used to be one of my favourite bars in Bangkok,not been into the new one so far,does anyone have anything to report on it?

Owned by all your boiler room chiseler mates, isn't it?

I've certainly heard the stories as has everyone else,doesn't make the beer taste any better or worse for me though.

You'd obviously know much better than me as these are your circles,aren't they?

Drinking with scumbags that relieve OAP'S of their life savings doesn't make the beer taste worse ? Seriously ?

The owner of your local could be a serial killer for all you know,would it make the beer taste any different?Of course not,don't be ridiculous!rolleyes.gif

Hey ... since we are talking Bars ... can anyone explain why Cheap Charlies works (is successful) in Suk Soi 11?

I just don't understand it ... more correctly ... the attraction to go there.

Walked by there 30 minutes ago. Very busy road, it's set off that road and looks like a "pit-stop" for the masses, who might stay for a couple more.

I have already found the perfect bar. It is the 20kg Olympic weightlifting bar. I can just keep adding plates on it and it doesn't say sh_t. It doesn't moan, it's not into backstabbing. It's loyal to the very end.

• Like 2

I have already found the perfect bar. It is the 20kg Olympic weightlifting bar. I can just keep adding plates on it and it doesn't say sh_t. It doesn't moan, it's not into backstabbing. It's loyal to the very end.

Hmmmm..........sounds like a personal problem. Best take it direct to "moaner,backstabber, non-loyal" & best of luck with the weightlifting........now.....back to the topic?

Hey ... since we are talking Bars ... can anyone explain why Cheap Charlies works (is successful) in Suk Soi 11?

I just don't understand it ... more correctly ... the attraction to go there.

It's for 'end of day office closing' posers having a swift 2 or 3 on the way home.

Well, my opinion.

Of course there is a good Spanish Tapas restaurant just round the corner and numerous 'massage' establishments across the road.

And Villa supermarket as an even better attraction?

Can be a useful place to meet up and start the evening's entertainment, for some.

Each to their own, as always.

A good bar is always made so by the regulars (like you and me?), go find.

Edited by Bpuumike
  • Like 1

I don't know the attraction of Cheap Charlies either. It's not even that cheap, think 90B for a small bottle of beer?

All the bars where I live do big bottles for between 70 to 100B so if somewhere is going to claim to be cheap it should actually be cheap.

• Like 1

Having earnestly spent 2003-2013 investigating every single bar in the city of Bangkok I regret to inform you that you are in the wrong country for finding such a place!

I think it says a lot that Hitchens never moved here..!

I basically agree with you, with the following proviso, did you make it out to the suburbs, did you make it to Thai style bars?

Where I drink, large beer 75 baht, no "my shit dont stink" attitude from serving wenches, never heard the term, "Cheap Charlie" or "kee niaow" used.

I rememeber the days when the Suk ghetto was fun, met at the door with a smile and a wai, taken to a seat, given a cold towel and asked what do you want.

These days way too much hassle, can't be bothered with it all.

• Like 1

... did you make it to Thai style bars?

Where I drink, large beer 75 baht, no "my shit dont stink" attitude from serving wenches, never heard the term, "Cheap Charlie" or "kee niaow" used.

I reckon that it would make a great thread ... I, for one, would like to read your experiences.

I've never actually been to a 'Thai Pub'.

You'll get your knockers (no pun intended) ... but there will be the majority who would love to read the experience.

Maybe a photo or two for the OP for interest.

Up to you, but I'm always positive ... why not.

Having earnestly spent 2003-2013 investigating every single bar in the city of Bangkok I regret to inform you that you are in the wrong country for finding such a place!

... how about a few 'Best of the Worst'?

I've read a few of your OP's ... your good at it ... why not start something?

And I have to say ... I'm just plain sick and tired of the Trolls running rampant in the General Forum ... I want to read some interesting stuff ... experience from guys like you who have been here longer then me.

It's stories from the old timers people experienced in living here which makes Thai Visa a good place to read.

But if you do ... maybe place the link here, then I'll see it.