Tefl Courses In Pattaya?

There are several possibilities in Pattaya: personally I attended T&T but I found the quality and service minimal.

I've good experiences with WorldwideTEFL: they offer up to guaranteed job and work permit.

Please take care of the necessary paperwork before you go/come to Thailand: non-immigrant B visum, a degree (any field), valid passport.

Without a university degree you might face problems in obtaining a teacher's license.

If the non-immigrant B visum is no option, than try to get a tourist visum for at least 3 months, this is the time you need for a proper TEFL/TESOL course. In these 3 months you have to go to Laos or Malaysia for a non immigrant B.

Why non-immigrant B? That's what you need for a work permit.

(URL deleted by moderator, with invitation to become a paid sponsor)

Unfortunately though the above course DOESN'T conform to the 100 plus hours class time (I'm afraid 5 days of training and some DVDs does not equate to this however much you squint at it) that is the international standard worldwide.

While it will probably be enough for the less picky schools here in Thailand and probably (at least at the present) the MoE for a TL....it won't cut much mustard at better schools or in countries (say Kuwait for example) where they are more concerned about qualifications. Even so so schools like AUA won't accept this certificate as it doesn't contain enough class room hours of study.

Sounds a lot like the PELT course to be honest, basically buy a job rather than any real training.

More of an introduction to TEFL than a fully fledged course.

Also while a tourist Visa is kind of good for 3 months (longer actually with all extensions possible) it's best to say it's good for 60 days, otherwise people over stay.

Also Laos is a very hard place for Non-imm B's now, as is Penang in Malaysia....so do check before running to either of the places to get one.

Unfortunately though the above course DOESN'T conform to the 100 plus hours class time (I'm afraid 5 days of training and some DVDs does not equate to this however much you squint at it) that is the international standard worldwide.

The 'above' mentioned course includes 120 hours class time. The 5 days intensive class room training is enough together with the dvd, vcd's.

All together it'l take about 10 weeks to obtain your TEFL/TESOL certificate. A course such as T&T takes about 6 weeks which includes everything; even the 120 hours class room experience.

Huhhhh?

To be honest, Ken, I did the T&T course and I used to train new teachers at WorldwideTEFL, so I'm able to speak of experiences.

The 'above' mentioned course includes 120 hours class time. The 5 days intensive class room training is enough together with the dvd, vcd's.

It does not then include 120 hours class time I'm afraid. It contains 5 days of minimal training and then some DVDs...you then give them a job at a school...this is not training and people will run into problems like this (which is the same course as you offer):

was invited by AUA for an interview after a recruiter saw my resume on ajarn.com. After trekking out to my interview, I was enthusiastically greeted and my credentials were reviewed. With a B.A. English, more than 10 years' teaching experience and a California teaching credential, I was an attractive prospect...at least that's what I was told. Then my interview abruptly ended. Horrors!! I had only taken a one-week TEFL class from TEFL International, and my interviewer was adamant that I needed 120 face-to-face hours of TEFL instruction. When I pointed out that yes, I didn't have 120 face-to-face TEFL instruction hours but more than 10 years of credentialed ESL teaching experience, it didn't matter. I was shown the door. I will admit that prior to my ejection, I did receive a tour of the facility by a "qualified" instructor, someone so inarticulate that every other word he uttered was "like," "y'know" or "uhhhhh."
All together it'l take about 10 weeks to obtain your TEFL/TESOL certificate. A course such as T&T takes about 6 weeks which includes everything; even the 120 hours class room experience.

Huhhhh?

Mate you're being a bit devious here...you give them a JOB after 5 days of training....so it's not actually even a week I'm afraid. Sending someone to a school to teach for 8 weeks or so is not classed as in class training (it even says on the website it's not training) however you try to spin it (as per the quote above I'm afraid and this is just for AUA...not even a top tier school IMO).

To be honest, Ken, I did the T&T course and I used to train new teachers at WorldwideTEFL, so I'm able to speak of experiences.

LoL while we're on about honesty mate you're knocking a competing course as you OWN and RUN Worldwide TEFL....please don't be naughty and fib on here. And it can't have been that a bad a course if it trained you to be able to train other teachers :o Not a lot you can really say to that is there???

Sorry!

Edited by kenkannif

It does not then include 120 hours class time I'm afraid. It contains 5 days of minimal training and then some DVDs...you then give them a job at a school...this is not training and people will run into problems like this (which is the same course as you offer):

was invited by AUA for an interview after a recruiter saw my resume on ajarn.com. After trekking out to my interview, I was enthusiastically greeted and my credentials were reviewed. With a B.A. English, more than 10 years' teaching experience and a California teaching credential, I was an attractive prospect...at least that's what I was told. Then my interview abruptly ended. Horrors!! I had only taken a one-week TEFL class from TEFL International, and my interviewer was adamant that I needed 120 face-to-face hours of TEFL instruction. When I pointed out that yes, I didn't have 120 face-to-face TEFL instruction hours but more than 10 years of credentialed ESL teaching experience, it didn't matter. I was shown the door. I will admit that prior to my ejection, I did receive a tour of the facility by a "qualified" instructor, someone so inarticulate that every other word he uttered was "like," "y'know" or "uhhhhh."

Huhhhh?

Mate you're being a bit devious here...you give them a JOB after 5 days of training....so it's not actually even a week I'm afraid. Sending someone to a school to teach for 8 weeks or so is not classed as in class training (it even says on the website it's not training) however you try to spin it (as per the quote above I'm afraid and this is just for AUA...not even a top tier school IMO).

LoL while we're on about honesty mate you're knocking a competing course as you OWN and RUN Worldwide TEFL....please don't be naughty and fib on here. And it can't have been that a bad a course if it trained you to be able to train other teachers :o Not a lot you can really say to that is there???

Sorry!

Well, I .................. oh, <deleted>......why do I take part in this kind of discussions if people start to compare an apple with an egg.

You can't learn to teach from a DVD. FULL STOP.

You're right. That's why the dvd's can be used as a reference to the books and the intensive classroom course. The dvd's are being supplied as information, like a book, but than on a disc.

Ahh, many's the dead horse that's been flogged on these forums.

There, I'm playing the Allman Brothers, "Tied to the Whipping Post, " and have just picked up my flogging whip...

Other things being equal, which they never are, four weeks of intensive in-classroom, face-to face instruction by a qualified and skilled veteran of TEFL is better than one week of such instruction. Four years are better than four weeks. That's so obvious that it (normally) needn't be mentioned.

But, that horse having been whipped into the present perfect participial sense, there's still something positive to be said about a one week course that is supplemented by CD"s and other things.

However, let's invite said company to be a sponsor on ThaiVisa. PM to follow, busgen. :o

I have a friend who is wanting to do a TEFL course in Pattaya.

Can anyone give me details of a course to pass on to him?

Best to go home and come back with a CELTA or Trinity College or International House; i.e. a good qualifification.

Unless you're just looking for a cheap way to stay in Thailand you need to be able to teach properly and know about the workings of the English language. Can you really learn this in a month????

I have a friend who is wanting to do a TEFL course in Pattaya.

Can anyone give me details of a course to pass on to him?

Best to go home and come back with a CELTA or Trinity College or International House; i.e. a good qualifification.

Unless you're just looking for a cheap way to stay in Thailand you need to be able to teach properly and know about the workings of the English language. Can you really learn this in a month????

Er???

CELTA and Trinity TESOL are normally a month long - you recommend in the first paragraph.

CELTA and Trinity TESOL are normally a month long - you criticise in the second paragraph.

And is there a suggestion that somebody who's already in Thailand go around the world to get the same course(s) he can get in Thailand? :o Absurd, in my arrogant opinion.

TEFL is neither brain surgery nor septic tank cleaning, but somewhere in between. An intensive, proper four week course is appropriate, helpful, educational, and not very entertaining.

Er???

CELTA and Trinity TESOL are normally a month long - you recommend in the first paragraph.

CELTA and Trinity TESOL are normally a month long - you criticise in the second paragraph.

yes...I'm not convinced that any such course is actually long enough, but they are better than most.

Perhaps the point Kenk is making, or I am, is that we could hardly know A from B and C, unless we'd taken all three, or spent a million baht sending dozens of students through various courses and more or less objectively comparing them.

Or, if one has hired and directly supervised more than a hundred TEFLers in action, they might have a rough idea about how those graduates compared among themselves in those locations at that times.

Yes, there's a difference between a master's degree in physics from MIT and a one-semester course in desert topography from the state university in Alpine, Texas. But there isn't a whole heck of a lot of difference that matters, in Southeast Asia, from one four-week MoE-accredited course and the next one.

Yeah thanks PB...basically that's my point.

Wilko,

Ajarn that used to post here was an ex-CELTA examiner with many years experience.....he said that some of the home grown courses here were better for teaching Thais than the CELTA....I know the CELTA is more famous....but you're saying it's 'better'.....how???

Yeah thanks PB...basically that's my point.

Wilko,

Ajarn that used to post here was an ex-CELTA examiner with many years experience.....he said that some of the home grown courses here were better for teaching Thais than the CELTA....I know the CELTA is more famous....but you're saying it's 'better'.....how???

Teaching TEFL in Thailand mainly involves teaching young learners in classes of 50 students and CELTA develops those skills in great... em.. slight.... oh dear, they don't cover them at all in fact. A pretty irrelevant qualification if you want to teach in a Thai school. Local courses are more relevant IMO.

Well I beg to differ... and I certainly don't want to get involved in a "my daddy's a policeman" type argument with you which seems to be the direction you're taking....

The big money is in higher, business and commercial training it is industry and I feel that any self respecting teacher should have at least a year's training behind him and also a good training in the subject he intends to teach...if you think you can do this with one month's crash course - up to you...

The particular needs of Thailand or any other country may be addressed with a one month training course if you so wish. I'm sure that would help.