Tefl Courses In Pattaya?

From my experience of TEFLing in Thailand, the most important aspects at the average Thai public elementary or high school are:

1. Group management

2. Games

3. Modelling

4. Role play

Very little "theoretical" knowledge of grammar, mechanics, or usage is necessary. The students are simply too low level to benefit. It is my understanding that a big part of the CELTA is an exhaustive review of grammar, with a focus on teaching to adults. This may have its uses, but I would agree that the courses I have heard about focussing on Thailand specifically would be more useful for a teacher working in public schools here. Obviously it depends on your long range plans which of these might be better for you.

I don't think that even a CELTA sales person would argue that the CELTA is universally best for everything in TEFL, everywhere in the world. It simply wouldn't be true.

Wilko, are you merely making the point that a one-year full-time course is better than a one-month course? Of course; roger, Wilko. :D

And a four year course is better than a four hour course. And here some of us thought your argument was about CELTA. Pardon us.

Thanks, ijustwannateachchildreninthailanduntilIdie. :o

Well I beg to differ... and I certainly don't want to get involved in a "my daddy's a policeman" type argument with you which seems to be the direction you're taking....

The big money is in higher, business and commercial training it is industry and I feel that any self respecting teacher should have at least a year's training behind him and also a good training in the subject he intends to teach...if you think you can do this with one month's crash course - up to you...

The particular needs of Thailand or any other country may be addressed with a one month training course if you so wish. I'm sure that would help.

Do you mean Thai management in an international company? Again, give them grammar and they'll complain. Give them games, stupid faces and they'll be telling your boss they want you to teach them the next course.

By commercial training, I guess you mean hotel receptionists etc. The only difference here is that you need more games.

I do think a relevant intensive 1-month course is sufficient. However, the CELTA and Trinity TESOL are not.

Maybe a sad reflection on the customer, but they pay the wages.

And is there a suggestion that somebody who's already in Thailand go around the world to get the same course(s) he can get in Thailand? cheesy.gif Absurd, in my arrogant opinion.

I went to Spain for the Trinity cert. after teaching for a few years here.

It was a great holiday but the bit of paper was a waste of time.

I've never used it in 10 years. i learned howto teach by experience.

Wilko, are you merely making the point that a one-year full-time course is better than a one-month course? Of course; roger, Wilko. :o

Yes I am….

Experience teaches us a lot and a course should give you the tools to commence this process and to know how to approach the tasks ahead.

I do not suggest using the same approach for every student as any teacher would tell you that this is unproductive; a teacher should be able to assess the needs of his pupils.

As for grammar I am not recommending what should be taught to all or any come to that but what a teacher should know his language. If you are able to deconstruct the language you are in a much better position to teach it appropriately in a large set of circumstances.

Grammar can be taught deductively or in deductively depending on the needs of the learner. Most of us speak grammatically but do not know the grammar itself but unless you know what you’re teaching how can you teach it, whether by model or formula?

And Loaded ….I assume you are saying that you have failed to teach Thai management as they don’t seem to respond to either of your approaches?

Perhaps you should try something different!

You've gone in to lecture mode matey. So can I ask the teacher a couple of questions??

I would like to know what you mean by 'Grammar can be taught deductively or in deductively depending...' and 'Most of us speak grammatically but do not know the grammar itself...' also 'what a teacher should know his language.'

- there are typos and there is semi-illiteracy!!!

And could you name just one, of the many, one-year TEFL training courses that you recommend so enthusiastically. Anywhere in the world!!!!

Edited by Loaded

You've gone in to lecture mode matey. So can I ask the teacher a couple of questions??

I would like to know what you mean by 'Grammar can be taught deductively or in deductively depending...' and 'Most of us speak grammatically but do not know the grammar itself...' also 'what a teacher should know his language.'

- there are typos and there is semi-illiteracy!!!

And could you name just one, of the many, one-year TEFL training courses that you recommend so enthusiastically. Anywhere in the world!!!!

There has I feel throughout this posting been a certain antipathy on your part, so I’m afraid you’ll have to work out for yourself what I’ve been talking about. With a bit of reading and common sense all the answers to your questions are already there. It would seem your questions arise out of an urge to bicker rather than understand.

I will point out though that certain mistakes are there as a result of the quick edit facility not working.

Edited by wilko

I guess what you were trying to say about grammatical rules is:

The teacher needs to decide whether a rule would be helpful or not; then, whether to elicit it from the learners on the basis of examples (‘inductive’ method), or give it yourself, and invite them to produce examples (‘deductive’).

If it is, I agree. That's what I teach my teachers to do. I don't remember the instructor on my Trinity TESOL teaching me that though.