Told Driving License Renewal for 5 Years Not Possible

davevi

Yes i went to a hospital and saw a doctor.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A simple clinic will cost you between 30-50 baht. Might even take your blood pressure for that but that's about all

I sat in the car while missus ran in and got it for me.

Anybody know requirements for renewal of 5yr for another 5yr? When can one renew (how far before or after expiration) and what you need to show?

Much appreciated.

Attached is current hand out from office.

I have heard of people renewing their 5 year licences up to 1 year after expiry of the old one.

post-185252-0-61365600-1391792369_thumb.

• Like 1

What is necessary for getting a license to drive in this country hasn't really changed at all in a long, long time. The problem has generally been that the fully monty is not necessarily found easily under general internet searches, but a visit to the very accommodating and organized office at the Bureau of Land Transportation (aka the place where you get your license on the Hong Dong Road) is definitely better sometimes than the confusion posted on TVCM.

But, not to hijack the thread too far, here is comment on a problem that many of us have faced either with our parents, our grandparents, or ourselves. It isn't just the business of qualifying for a license, it is whether or not one's senses really are sharp enough still to safely handle driving in Chiang Mai, Thailand, or anywhere.

Never mind the efficacy of the very permissive current licensure requirements under which a cross-eyed sloth could get a license with the right paperwork. I suppose, thinking about it, this thread (and countless others like it) might apply more to expatriates who have decided to retire here. Some might be on the cusp of a very hazardous age! Back "home," they might have children or friends to nudge them or to take away the keys. Here? Very easy-going place, isn't it? Isn't that really one of the chief reasons Thailand is so pleasant ?! Hope it is never deadly because of obstinance about personal prerogative. It seems that retaining the freedom to drive can be more important at some point than retaining the freedom of speech or assembly.

You can complain --- please, not here! --- all you want about Thai driving habits (Learn the local road rules!) or how Chinese tourists crowd the sois and bicycle around (Scary, just stop or drive around !!!!). But you, of a certain advanced age or approaching it sooner than you might like, think about it. After all, most of you don't go skydiving often. Perhaps, soon, your driving isn't a great idea.

Edited by Mapguy