Went to the True Move shop, but they were not sure

PeterSmiles

As it is clear from the title that they don't know their job, I hope someone here has the knowledge and can help me out.

I went to the major True Move shop in Pattaya today as I wanted to purchase a prepaid Internet Sim which will be used in an air-card.

So I asked them for a monthly unlimited 3G package of 3 or 5 Gb which when the limit reached would drop to a speed of 384Kb instead of 128 Kb.

First they didn't have it, then later they showed up with a brochure with a lot of fancy English titles, but all the necessary details in Thai of course.

They offered me the iNet package at 599 for 3 Gb and 899 for 5 Gb. They said I could use that in any aircard and that it would fall back to 384Kb when finished, but were not sure.

So I asked the servant, if you are not sure then who will be sure, so he went for a senior manager.

The senior manager told me that it would depend on my area if I would get 128 Kb or 384 Kb and she was also not sure.

I asked her what this had to do with the area, on which she replied that it would depend if 3G was available in my area or not. If 3G is not available in my area, I would not purchase a 3G package in the first place, would I ?

So she than reiterated her comment to, you will get 384Kb but maybe only 80% .whistling.gif So clearly she was also not sure what she was doing there.

Decided to give it a try and asked how much for a Sim, on which they replied that they didn't have any prepaid Sim's available for that package, only post paid.

Their explanation was that they ran out of prepaid Sim's and would have probably available again tomorrow, but I'm not sure if they actually knew what they were talking about.

So does anyone know if the iNet package as they offered is

1. A prepaid package

2. Will drop to a speed of 384Kb, rather than 128Kb, when the data limit of 3Gb is reached before the month end

3. Is usabale in an aircard, and not Iphone as I suspect.

Thanks in advance. Welcome to Thailand, the internet hub of Asia biggrin.png

• Like 1

I had True before but they were useless. Changed to AIS. The good thing is that when you call them they have people that speak perfect english. I bought the sim in 7 eleven and then called them to get the best package.

Works great for me.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

I had True before but they were useless. Changed to AIS. The good thing is that when you call them they have people that speak perfect english. I bought the sim in 7 eleven and then called them to get the best package.

Works great for me.

Unfortunately AIS 3G sucks in my area, been there done that, got the T-shirt already.

But I had a bad experience with True before where they emptied the balance on my Sim overnight after after i had reached the data limit, however the service desk told me at that time that it would continue at 128Kb until the 30 days were reached.

This time I want to be sure.

Works great for me.

Unfortunately AIS 3G sucks in my area, been there done that, got the T-shirt already.

But I had a bad experience with True before where they emptied the balance on my Sim overnight after after i had reached the data limit, however the service desk told me at that time that it would continue at 128Kb until the 30 days were reached.

This time I want to be sure.

That's what happened to me too.

Sorry to hear that AIS sucks in your area. Hopefully someone else can give you some useful advice.

Yes, Yes, Yes.

Just purchase any TrueMove H SIM.

Add value.

Subscribe to a mobile data plan.

Not sure why people make this simple process so complicated?

TrueMove H has decent web-pages, in English

They have gazillions of packages, if you see a subscription code then it is available as pre-paid.

iNet 2 GB/599 baht is 384 Kbps FuP; same same for iNet 5 GB/899 baht

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/packages/italk/entry/610

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/toppings/iplay/entry/654

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

Yes, Yes, Yes.

Just purchase any TrueMove H SIM.

Add value.

Subscribe to a mobile data plan.

Not sure why people make this simple process so complicated?

TrueMove H has decent web-pages, in English

They have gazillions of packages, if you see a subscription code then it is available as pre-paid.

iNet 2 GB/599 baht is 384 Kbps FuP; same same for iNet 5 GB/899 baht

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/packages/italk/entry/610

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/toppings/iplay/entry/654

Why people make this simple process so complicated ?

Maybe because True does ?

On the brochure I'm holding here, and which I got from the True shop today, it shows 599 Baht for 3 Gb, while their very own websites as per the link you provided, shows 2 Gb.

The prices on my brochure for iNet are :

299 - 500 Mb

399 - 1 Gb

599 - 3 Gb

899 - 5 Gb.

You see True is not sure.smile.png

True are useless, the only thing they know in the shop is " must telephone to call centre" pathetic !

Anyway, I have the true H, inet, 5gb , the speed drops to usually 128, dont guarantee on it being any better because of other users etc.

I flip my sim between tab and and aircard as needed so its versatile too.

Send sms to 9789 at anytime to get sms back with current data balance is also handy.

Edited by CharlieH

True are useless, the only thing they know in the shop is " must telephone to call centre" pathetic !

Anyway, I have the true H, inet, 5gb , the speed drops to usually 128, dont guarantee on it being any better because of other users etc.

I flip my sim between tab and and aircard as needed so its versatile too.

Send sms to 9789 at anytime to get sms back with current data balance is also handy.

So their claim that it falls back to 384Kb is also not True.

I cant say it isnt true, I can say I havnt experienced it, I try not to use the full 5gb, but on the odd occasion it has, whether due to volume of traffic other users etc or whatever, I didnt get over 128kb

If you get only 128 Kb, then that is the speed they restrict you to, and not 384Kb as they claim at their service center and on their website.

Would appreciate to hear from another iNet user as well .

On the brochure I'm holding here

Obviously you have the advantage of holding the brochure with some current promotions.

If it says iNet 3 GB is 599, and that it has a 128 Kbps FuP, then my conclusion would be that this specific promotion gives a higher volume, but with a lower FuP.

In that case, the answer to your questions would be Yes, No, Yes.

Again, not at all complicated. But yes, TrueMove H are guilty, as are most service providers here, of offering too many packages, promotions and plans which, for the savvy consumer can be beneficial, but for those easily overwhelmed, can lead to confusion.

TrueMove H have gazillions of promotions at any given point in time. Additionally, it has been my experience that True shops generally do not stock/sell pre-paid SIMs, they seem to have chosen alternative retail channels (the one billion phone shops, counters, convenience stores) to handle these products.

Maybe it would be simpler if you just described what it is you want? What type of equipment do you have? Do you have service in your location, what is your budget? Usage? etc.

"The senior manager told me that it would depend on my area if I would get 128 Kb or 384 Kb and she was also not sure.
I asked her what this had to do with the area, on which she replied that it would depend if 3G was available in my area or not. If 3G is not available in my area, I would not purchase a 3G package in the first place, would I ?
So she than reiterated her comment to, you will get 384Kb but maybe only 80%. So clearly she was also not sure what she was doing there."

Actually they gave you good advice.

The speed you will get will depend on how good the 3G coverage is where you happen to be. By definition these things are mobile and it is entirely possible that you might live somewhere with high speed and want to travel to somewhere with lower speed. Or vice-versa. Or even live somewhere with no mobile coverage at all but be buying a SIM for use exclusively when you are travelling. I only turn my mobile data on (I get 100MB free from True every month) when I am away from home.

The shop staff dont have a crystal ball to know where you live and where you travel to, so they advised you that the speed would vary according to the quality of the coverage wherever you happen to be. This is entirely correct.

Am rapidly approaching the end of the line with True.

Have used them on contract for several years and OK but suddenly they have unilaterally enforced their new packages.

50% more cost and slower speeds. Does not make any business sense.

Look out AIS or DTAC, here I come

• Like 1

Meh. Not really, or actually.

I am confident that if CAT/TrueMove H can deliver 3G, then they can deliver 384 Kbps or 128 Kbps.

Suspect any confusion was due to mis-communications, as there are a bazillion plans: pre-paid/post-paid all with different volumes and FuPs.

Some promotions/plans/packages might have a FuP of 384 Kbps, others might have a FuP of 128 Kbps. There should be a plan that suits the OPs requirements, but I'm not sure what those are?

On the brochure I'm holding here

Obviously you have the advantage of holding the brochure with some current promotions.

If it says iNet 3 GB is 599, and that it has a 128 Kbps FuP, then my conclusion would be that this specific promotion gives a higher volume, but with a lower FuP.

In that case, the answer to your questions would be Yes, No, Yes.

Again, not at all complicated. But yes, TrueMove H are guilty, as are most service providers here, of offering too many packages, promotions and plans which, for the savvy consumer can be beneficial, but for those easily overwhelmed, can lead to confusion.

TrueMove H have gazillions of promotions at any given point in time. Additionally, it has been my experience that True shops generally do not stock/sell pre-paid SIMs, they seem to have chosen alternative retail channels (the one billion phone shops, counters, convenience stores) to handle these products.

Maybe it would be simpler if you just described what it is you want? What type of equipment do you have? Do you have service in your location, what is your budget? Usage? etc.

I never said that the brochure says 128Kb, in fact as far as I can make from it is that it says 384Kb, the senior manager at the shop said 384Kb but wasn't sure . The fact that CharlieH tells us that he has iNet and gets only 128Kb shows that the claims made by True are not true.

I also don't know if the 3Gb limit is a current promotion as the staff didn't make me aware of it and I can't read Thai. I also didn't went to a third party phone shop, but the MAJOR true shop for Pattaya, located in Tesco North Pattaya.

I described in the OP already what I'm looking for, and did so to the True service staff. I have an aircard, I can receive the signal from True and am looking for a monthly 3Gb or slightly higher limit that drops down to 384Kb when the limit is reached, not 128Kb as that isn't usable.

I include the folder I received yesterday, so if you can read Thai , you probably can tell us if I make incorrect assumptions.

As I said in another post, I had an issue with True in the past where the Call desk, as well as the staff at the same Major True shop, told me that on the package I had at that time I would limited to 128Kb until the 30 day expired, but in reality my balance just disappeared overnight.

So at that time it was clear that they didn't know what they were talking about, or that True Move just makes up conditions as they go, and I expect the same this time.

post-187611-0-16808300-1385270501_thumb.post-187611-0-01048500-1385270523_thumb.post-187611-0-37070400-1385270529_thumb.

The speed you will get will depend on how good the 3G coverage is where you happen to be.

No they didn't, you get 384Kb or you get 128Kb, not depending on your signal strength. Your signal strength can influence your maximum 3G speed, but if your signal is that bad that you can't receive the 384Kb, then you will also not be able to receive 3G.

In reading the brochures, it seems to say that for the iNet 599/3 GB plan that the FuP is 384 Kbps, on both the 2nd and 3rd images.

That said, these appear to be post-paid or contract plans. But I'd have to see/read more of the brochure to be certain. Am under the impression you want a prepaid plan? So with pre-paid you could get 2 GB/599 baht/384 Kbps FuP or 3 GB/599 baht/128 Kbps ZFuP.

So now: No, Yes, Yes.

DTAC have a pre-paid 3 Gb/650 baht/384 Kbps FuP. DTAC offers power-up options, with an additional 1 GB for 150 baht if you are running low/over towards the end of your cycle.

AIS have a 2 GB/599 baht/128 Kbps FuP.

My by CAT (post-paid) same network as TrueMove H/850 MHz alos have plans: 3 GB/650 baht/384 Kbps FuP.

Ais is unusable in my area. Dtac has a plan I'm aware of, but I want to get rid of Dtac.

By the way, isn't it so that the operators had to lower their prices by at least 10% as a condition for the 3G license.

From what I can see is that not one of them has lowered their price, but a few have in fact raised the price.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the TRUE (prepaid) iNet 899 package for a long time now. I always was more or less happy but recently (about 4 months ago) they suddenly dropped their speed of 384 Kbps to 128 Kbps after you'd used up your limit. That was a disaster as 128 Kbps is NOT workable. I noticed that very recently (only weeks) they must have reversed that policy back to 384 Kbps. Probably because people were switching to Dtac or AIS. Please note this 384 Kbps is the max speed you will get once your 5GB is used up. Of course you wont get 384 Kbps but the speed is most certainly better than this crazy 128 Kbps speed they had before.

I have had the TRUE (prepaid) iNet 899 package for a long time now. I always was more or less happy but recently (about 4 months ago) they suddenly dropped their speed of 384 Kbps to 128 Kbps after you'd used up your limit. That was a disaster as 128 Kbps is NOT workable. I noticed that very recently (only weeks) they must have reversed that policy back to 384 Kbps. Probably because people were switching to Dtac or AIS. Please note this 384 Kbps is the max speed you will get once your 5GB is used up. Of course you wont get 384 Kbps but the speed is most certainly better than this crazy 128 Kbps speed they had before.

Thanks for the heads up, this is what I was worried about, as CharlieH had mentioned already.

Would you mind to do a speedtest to Bangkok server once you have exceeded your usage limit, to find out which speed you really get now.

If they throttle it down to 384Kb, then you should for sure be able to get exact that result in a speedtest to a Bangkok server.

TrueMove did change up their packages a couple months ago and that might be contributing to some of the confusion (probably some old sales literature still floating around). I asked one of their call center people when changing plans last week and the iNet 599 package (2GB unlimited- *900*1359#) drops to 384k after the first 2GB of use as do higher priced iNet packages while lower priced iNet packages drop to 128k. This is for prepaid service, I don't know if postpaid packages are different or not.

The sim cards can be purchased nearly everywhere (7/11, phone kiosks, etc) and are cheap. I'd suggest just giving it a try and seeing what you think. If you find the 128/384k speeds unacceptable then you can top-up your package with an additional 1GB of full speed 3G for 150 baht (*900*8903#). TrueMove's customer service isn't great but the same applies to their competitors.

I am using the 899 Inet package. As soon as I reach my 5GB limit the speed drops to almost unusable.

384kbit would be fair, but I am getting around 50kbit (dialup speed!)

I called True about this, and she told me this: The 384kbit speed is shared amongst "all people in your area". So what I understand is that as soon as you hit the limit you will be sharing 384kbit with other users on the same celltower, users that also has hit the limit.

• Like 1

Did you notice that the True service desk, and the brochure they gave me as posted higher up in this thread, show 3 Gb for 599 Baht where your link shows 2Gb for 599 Baht?

Definitely True is not sure what they are selling and are just making things up as they go.

I am using the 899 Inet package. As soon as I reach my 5GB limit the speed drops to almost unusable.

384kbit would be fair, but I am getting around 50kbit (dialup speed!)

I called True about this, and she told me this: The 384kbit speed is shared amongst "all people in your area". So what I understand is that as soon as you hit the limit you will be sharing 384kbit with other users on the same celltower, users that also has hit the limit.

Sorry, but this does not sound plausible. I'm not even certain it would be possible to provision such an arrangement? Your bandwidth would be limited based on your account (SIM/IMSI), and administered on a per user basis.

Are you saying that prior to hitting your 5 GB cap, you get really good performance? Like 5 Mbps/1 Mbps, but then after you hit your 5 GB cap the speed slows to 50 Kbps?

While it is true that there is a limited amount of bandwidth available both downstream (from the base-station to users) and upstream (from the base-station back into the core network), and this bandwidth is 'shared', the sharing of 384 Kbps just doesn't sound reasonable. I suspect some communications issues, or a misunderstanding. Everyone is on a different calendar, with plans renewing each and every day

Are you pre-paid? Post-paid? What are the terms of your plan re: fair-use speed? Do you stay in one single location? Or move around a bit? Do you experience the same slow speeds everywhere?

iNet/pre-paid/899 baht/5 GB has a current published fair-use speed limit of 384 Kbps. I guess I would get TrueMove H to confirm that, and then address any short-falls with them.

Did you notice that the True service desk, and the brochure they gave me as posted higher up in this thread, show 3 Gb for 599 Baht where your link shows 2Gb for 599 Baht?

Believe I have addressed your issue multiple times; you appear to be confusing pre-paid and post-paid plans, which have different caps (2 GB or 3 GB) and different FuP speed limits (384 Kbps or 128 Kbps).

I think that you are just continuing to get confused. Maybe you could just tell us what it is you want or need? Pre-paid or post-paid? How many GB? FuP speed? Budget? Understanding that you can't have your cake, ice-cream, chocolate all for same low price.

I'm guessing here, as you yet to identify even your most basic requirements, but think you want a pre-paid plan? And a 384 Kbps FuP, if possible? If so, your options are iNet/599/2 GB, or iNet/899/5 GB.

Believe I have addressed your issue multiple times; you appear to be confusing pre-paid and post-paid plans, which have different caps (2 GB or 3 GB) and different FuP speed limits (384 Kbps or 128 Kbps).

I think that you are just continuing to get confused. Maybe you could just tell us what it is you want or need? Pre-paid or post-paid? How many GB? FuP speed? Budget? Understanding that you can't have your cake, ice-cream, chocolate all for same low price.

I'm guessing here, as you yet to identify even your most basic requirements, but think you want a pre-paid plan? And a 384 Kbps FuP, if possible? If so, your options are iNet/599/2 GB, or iNet/899/5 GB.

Did you actually bother to read the OP ?

I went to the major True Move shop in Pattaya today as I wanted to purchase a prepaid Internet Sim which will be used in an air-card.

So I asked them for a monthly unlimited 3G package of 3 or 5 Gb which when the limit reached would drop to a speed of 384Kb instead of 128 Kb.

So why did they offer me a post paid package if I clearly had told them that I was looking for a PREPAID sim. Also take note that they were very well aware of my requirement for a prepaid sim, since when I wanted to purchase the sim they informed me that they had run out of PREPAID sims for the day.

So who is confused ?

OK, your continued, apparent, expressed desire for a post-paid plan (3 GB/599) over-shadowed your original statement for a pre-paid plan; perhaps that was why I was confused?

As you require a pre-paid plan I think your options remain:

iNet 2 GB/599/384 Kbps FuP

or

iNet 5 GB/384 Kbps/384 Kbps FuP

Those appear to be the only viable pre-paid options at this point in time.

Simply purchase any TrueMove H SIM, add value and subscribe to one of those two plans. Now wasn't that easy?