Roof Racks

IrishIvan

I may be pointing out the obvious, but what about the manufacturers own roof racks? Surely they can be ordered by the dealership.

They will be more expensive, but are made for the make and model of the car.

I didnt even think of this thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I recommend the 'Thule' brand. Had one fitted to my Fortuner four years ago. Thule's main Thai shop is in Central World (the one next to Siam Paragon) Bangkok. It's an excellent space extender (volume more than weight - even a medium large box like one that suits an SUV has a recommended max of 60kg). I can whip it on and off in a matter of a few minutes; you need to - it knocks about 10% off my diesel consumption when on.

Expensive though! It was 20,000 baht for the box and 8,000 for the cross-brackets that go across the two rails already built into an SUV. My prior research had indicted I might have got a Thia box for half that price. A cheaper box may not last as well as this Swedish quality build though (the four securing clamps would be a potential weakness if of poor quality and thinner plastic might expose the box to warping and dents) and with a brand like Thule you can probably get spare parts if something does break. The cross brackets are less key, so I would look to buy non-branded if I was buying again.

I recommend the 'Thule' brand. Had one fitted to my Fortuner four years ago. Thule's main Thai shop is in Central World (the one next to Siam Paragon) Bangkok. It's an excellent space extender (volume more than weight - even a medium large box like one that suits an SUV has a recommended max of 60kg). I can whip it on and off in a matter of a few minutes; you need to - it knocks about 10% off my diesel consumption when on.

Expensive though! It was 20,000 baht for the box and 8,000 for the cross-brackets that go across the two rails already built into an SUV. My prior research had indicted I might have got a Thia box for half that price. A cheaper box may not last as well as this Swedish quality build though (the four securing clamps would be a potential weakness if of poor quality and thinner plastic might expose the box to warping and dents) and with a brand like Thule you can probably get spare parts if something does break. The cross brackets are less key, so I would look to buy non-branded if I was buying again.

Well thatll fit my mrs & a carton of beer so I am sold!

Got my racks (just the 2 bar horizontal type, not the big rectangle box type you normally get here) that i put my surfboards on from “Chai auto sound” on the bypass rd about 8 years ago, they ordered them in for me from memory.

• Like 1

@Beechbum

Hi,

I'm going to need some of those racks exactly as you describe as I'm bringing two surfboards with me when I move to Phuket next year.

Are Chai Auto Sound still there? and what is the 'bypass road'? My knowledge of Phuket isn't great yet.

Cheers thumbsup.gif

@Beechbum

Hi,

I'm going to need some of those racks exactly as you describe as I'm bringing two surfboards with me when I move to Phuket next year.

Are Chai Auto Sound still there? and what is the 'bypass road'? My knowledge of Phuket isn't great yet.

Cheers thumbsup.gif

Yeah there still on the bypass rd, in a new bigger shop but very close to the old one.

The Bypass rd is the one when you turn right off Thepkrasattri rd(main rd from the airport) to go to Chalong/Kata ect, So if your coming from the airport Chai Auto Sound would be on your left, roughly half way along the rd next to a new shop selling mags and tyres.

see the attached map.

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=Chai+Auto+Sound&ll=7.907422,98.37759&spn=0.045483,0.084543&fb=1&gl=au&hq=chai+auto+sound%2Bphuket&cid=10390344536868799223&t=m&z=14

Edited by beechbum