Buying the insurance when you fly budget airlines.

ultimate weapon

Sure you guys know if let's say you fly air asia they will get you to buy their insurance it's quite cheap like 12 bucks but probably extremely difficult to get a claim. Can someone here just summarize the terms and conditions of their insurance for me? Let's assume you are buying a round trip ticket to a foreign country on a budget carrier does their insurance cover the entire holiday or just the plane flight?

I really think the insurance on these budget carriers don't cover the entire holiday.

I once booked using one of the online services and the flights weren't budget and they offered insurance that covered the entire holiday.

I don't know for sure, but budget carriers are normally point-to-point - therefore it's unlikely anything that happens between two flights would be covered.

I imagine it would make sense to either get insurance elsewhere, or just self-insure.

I read thru their terms and conditions and yes they do cover accidents and everything and their compensation is lower cos the insurance is cheaper than elsewhere but i just somehow think it is going to be extremely difficult to get any claim approved. It's just too cheap that i can bet even if all the terms are fulfilled they will find some way to avoid compensating ppl.

Let me try a google search to check. Anyone tried claiming from these types of insurance places?

I got airaasia insurance once, when I was supposed to fly from Phuket to Bangkok. I had to make a claim as I couldn't make a flight due to illness, I had to send a fax with all my details to Malaysia as I couldn't send email. It cost me 300 baht to send a fax from Central festival, and I with a copy of my doctors certificate. I never heard back from them, nothing. They had a line you could call that cost a few dollars a minute to ring them. So that was out of the question as it was a cheap flight I booked and the majority of the cost was the meals and the 40 kllos of luggage I was to carry. The luggage and the meals wouldn't have been covered in the insurance, so the amount I wanted to claim was mot much more than the 300 baht the fax cost me to send.

I have spoke to Airasia many times about this but they can't help me as it is a different company that does the insurance. I found it to be a total rip off. I hate it when I book the flights that you have to keep clicking you don't want the insurance because if you are not careful, you will get it by default.

I would love to hear from others that have tried claiming from the airasia insurance.

I always get my travel insurance in Australia, and use the option of buying out the excess that costs an extra $60, so you can always claim any small claim,

Edited by aussiebrian

You get what you pay for, I have insured a trip with AA and I put in a claim, to cut a very long

story short, they make it very difficult for you to collect, and contacting the underwriter/insurer

is like contacting some one on Mars, very, very tidiest and unresponsive,

get a good travel coverage, one that has good write ups and recommendation and leave

AA crappie insurance alone..

Based on my experience with a Thai friend many people do not realise that you can deselect this insurance charge from your booking.

Out and out scam preying on peoples' inexperience with computer bookings.

Of course it is a huge giant scam --- but probably only for those who are unable to simply deselect the option --- passifier.gif

Based on my experience with a Thai friend many people do not realise that you can deselect this insurance charge from your booking.

Out and out scam preying on peoples' inexperience with computer bookings.

Of course it is a huge giant scam --- but probably only for those who are unable to simply deselect the option --- passifier.gif

....if only it was a simple deselect option. From what I remember from my last AA booking I was only sure I had successfully deselected the insurance by looking at the final price break-down.

Many people do not realise that the insurance can be deselected.

....if only it was a simple deselect option. From what I remember from my last AA booking I was only sure I had successfully deselected the insurance by looking at the final price break-down.

Many people do not realise that the insurance can be deselected.

Hi rsn

Probably best you have another look.....

On page 2 "Guest details page" of the booking screens ----- are 3 different sections (1) Traveler details (2) Add-ons (all deselected) and (3)insurance:

The insurance is preselected by a tick in a box (simply deselect) and click on the last item on the section [cancel] -- yes it is in bold.

Even if you only do one of these -- the next page shall ask you to confirm your choice -- and tell you how!!

Is being required to deselect a ticked box and press the [cancel] if you don't want insurance a scam ????

Is being required to deselect a ticked box and press the [cancel] if you don't want insurance a scam ????

I haven't used AA in a while (the last time I did I gave up half way through), but it used to be the case that you had to click cancel when intuitively you would click okay (or vice versa). If that's still the case then yes, it is a scam.