Do farang get charged extra?

scubascuba3

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes but I dislike dual pricing. Some examples based on street food I like:

Noodle soup 40 baht

Rice chicken veg 50 baht

Meat on a stick thing 10 baht

Ice coffee 20 baht

Banana pancake 40 baht

Pineapple quarter 10 baht

Do Thais pay the same?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

rule number 1: dont argue with street vendors about the price of food, there is no way that you can even draw even. just wear it and adjust your custom in accordance to what you perceive. pay before you eat or before the food even arrives is also a good habit to get into. ie. pay when you order, it stops the ever present lingering street scum from renegotiating the price while you are eating.

Edited by feest monty
  • Like 2

yes and no...bad people may overcharge. They do it with farangs but the same with Thai people who don't know about.

I have seen the taxi in the south to some wealthy Bangkok people. I guess I would have paid half the price then them and I was treated a 200 % more friendly.

So it is just junk people who make profit....And it is exactly the same in the west, often enough I saw overcharging 100-200 % on industrial products because they "don't know".

• Like 1

I really do not know why this subjects still come up.

If we do pay more, not much we can do about that, so why bother? waste time, health and energy on even knowing?

If i bought something for 100 baht and happy with it, i do not want to know i could have bought it for 50 baht just around the corner, as i would feel upset about being ripped off.

Naturally tourists pay more for variety of reasons, expats pay less than the tourists, those who speak good enough Thai pay even less, and locals pay less than that. HOWEVER, many times there is only 1 price for all and many times Thai pay more than the foreigners.

I know many times i managed to get a better deal than my staff who are Thai.

Prices OP quoted, are fair and reasonable., the further out you go the cheaper you pay, as rents are also cheaper

Edited by lemoncake

Attitude and behavior oftenly dermines the price.

Yup. My brother used to work in a mower shop and would apply a "rudeness tax" to the price for anyone who was . . . rude.

Unless it's priced, same the World over.

• Like 2

Attitude and behavior oftenly dermines the price.

Sing and dance like a performing monkey and you might get fed for free.

Reminds me of when I was an English teacher and got free meals. I was basically a dancing white monkey, although at the time I thought I was high up the Thai social ladder as people called me 'Ajarn Neeranam'

So refreshing to see a thread we have never discussed before on TV!

It's called the "Farang Tax".

It's still some of the cheapest, best tasting street food to be found in the world.

Shut up, pay up ,and eat up!....Yum!

• Like 2