Applying For A Marriage Visa Outside Thailand?

Hi fella's

Would really appreciate anyones advice regarding obtaining a non immingrant O visa (marriage visa) for the first time for someone NOT living in Thailand.

I have been married to a Thai woman for about 5 years and we currently live in Australia. We have done everything, ie she is a PR here, our marriage is registered in both countries, we have a baan in Thailand, both currently in Australia.

I spoke to the Thai consulate recently and they said I had to apply from Australia for a marriage visa, said no need for bank balances or anything...just a copy of our marriage certificate, passports etc.

What I'd really like to know...and they didn't seem to be able to tell me...is the following:

1. If granted the 'non imm O' visa, does that allow me to spend one year in Thailand at a time?

2. Do I need to use this visa within 3 months? Or can I use it anytime within a year? (ie, I really don't know exactly when we can return at the moment)

3. Do I really not need to show any finances? Does the finance part only come into play when you are 'extending' etc?

4. Does getting this visa right now allow me to enter "the old system", ie to renew my VISA yearly with 200 000 baht in the bank ?

There's plenty of posts here re extensions, which are very informative, but I am keen to find out about applying for the first time outside of Thailand.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

By the numbers: :o

1. No. A one year multi entry visa class O allows visits of 90 days and if used wisely would last about 15 months. But you must exit at least every 90 days.

2. A multi entry would be valid for one year. A single entry might only be 3 months. You want the multi entry if you don't plan immediate travel.

3. Money comes into play for incountry extensions or stay.

4. No. That is an extension of stay fee and you would not be on that (unless you do it immediately - so that your extension request is prior to July 11).

Thank you very much for that. Greatly appreciated.

I guess the 200 000 scheme is too late for me. As you said, I could extend immediately...and I'll consider that...

Doing my finances off the top of my head, if we were both to fly to Thailand pretty soon and the costs associated with that...i'd then have less than 200 000 baht and thus it would be self deteating :D:o

I'll have to think what to do quickly as the 'old scheme' is much better.

Thank you very much for that. Greatly appreciated.

I guess the 200 000 scheme is too late for me. As you said, I could extend immediately...and I'll consider that...

Doing my finances off the top of my head, if we were both to fly to Thailand pretty soon and the costs associated with that...i'd then have less than 200 000 baht and thus it would be self deteating :D:o

I'll have to think what to do quickly as the 'old scheme' is much better.

Which Consulate did you talk to in Australia ?