Huge marches in Bangkok today

webfact

Everyone who really believes that this is about "democracy" is a fool!

If you would take "Thaksin" out of the equation...and the name is, what makes them throw tantrums...there would be no one out on the streets!

To really believe, that all of a sudden, Thai-people discovered their mutual interest in politics or democracy, is a joke!

If we are still here next year, there will be another government as "democratic" as the current one, robbing the people blind...and no one will give a hoot.

It is.

And Suthep is the champion protector of democracy and the king.

Who else is more qualified than a un-corruptible, well educated, smart looking visionary like Suthep.

• Like 1

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

instead of wasting time and money organizing this protest / riot / coup attempt, why not focus on campaigning for the next elections?

if the current government is so bad and their faults are so obvious and unambiguous (and i would agree with this) it should be easy to defeat them democratically

as an election promise, can replace the fixed rice price with more economically efficient (and easier to understand / explain) income assistance to the poor

for the last ~50 years, most national elections in europe have been won on the basis of such policies / bribes

Edited by brit1984

What's the plan if they do get the government to step down?

I don't know about the plan of the Dems. They probably don't have any.

But if they lose the power that they got through democratic elections, the plan of the reds and PT is easy to guess. They will just do the same as the yellows and the Dems.

It's a never ending cycle of protests... Everybody got used to it smile.png

No doubt they will prioritize the cancelling of the ridiculous "elite card" scheme that they almost succeeded in doing before getting kicked out of office. Always hilarious when they start doing that.

What's the plan if they do get the government to step down?

Very good question and I can't think of an equally good answer.

A suspension of democracy would probably be the only way out of the current mire. It is not understood here and will never work to everyone's satisfaction.

How about a caretaker prime minister ( similar to Anand ) for a year. A dissolution of all current political parties. A total banning of every current politician from ever entering any kind of politics ever again. The establishment of new political parties that are forbidden any contact with any of the former politicians. All new political party members to be thoroughly vetted and screened before being sworn in, the suspect ones being rejected. Compulsory publication of a clear and well defined manifesto with party aims outlined. After one year.....fresh elections .

No more Phua Thai, no more Democrats , no more Bhumjai Thai etc

Of course not serious , but except at the point of a gun, the current strife is set to go on forever since if the current protesters triumph in their aims, the following week the Red shirts will be back in equal numbers refusing to recognise the Democrats.

I think the big problem here is that people are confusing bad policy and corruption with dictatorship. PT CAN pass bad policies because they were elected by a majority of Thais. To me it is frightening that the opposition's response to their repeated election losses is that Thais are not capable of making political decisions. Could it be that the majority of Thais, who contrary to what many seem to believe do not live in Bangkok, simply prefer Thaksin's form of politics over the equally corrupt and oppressive ways of the past? PT is well within its mandate to pass bad policies. If these policies fail, then the Thai people who voted for them will vote them out. The opposition's undemocratic practices are needlessly dividing the country and ensuring a PT majority for the foreseeable future.

You know what, at the end of the day I have come to believe it might be a be a better option to have the real guy in command, instead of one of its family copycat or self branded clone.
We we are going to live another 15 years of Thaksin branded politics, at least give us the whole shebang, not a mere Skype driven avatar.
Let’s face it : the Democrats are too polite and clean looking to win an election any time soon in Thailand.
Read more at http://www.thailand-business-news.com/news/headline/47874-bring-thaksin-home.html#yPY3gtyDoTLk1vqi.99

Best of luck, here's hoping to the end of The Convicted Criminals Governemnt

That would be very nice thing to happen since Suthep is also a convicted criminal that Thailand would be well rid of.

Has Suthep got a criminal record? Please enlighten me as to what it was related to.

That would be very nice thing to happen since Suthep is also a convicted criminal that Thailand would be well rid of.

Could you let us all know of what crime Suthep has been convicted. Charged, yes. Convicted...?

All it take is some trouble making fake protester and a nervous inexperienced solider boy.

Misinterpret a balloon bust as a gun fire, and start empty the magazine onto an innocent crowd.

I hope it won't happen, but history repeat itself.

Remember the British incident in a North India (Sigh) Goldern temple? The Brit mean no harm at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jallianwala_Bagh_massacre

Edited by Spare

Do a search on Suthep Convicted and it will return reports on how convicted Suthep is in his cause.

And one Tweet from a bought and paid for lick-spittle .....

https://twitter.com/robertamsterdam/status/399887344158781441

Stop telling blatant lies.

• Like 2

Do a search on Suthep Convicted and it will return reports on how convicted Suthep is in his cause.

Come on Indyuk we are still waiting!!

Thaksin IS a convicted fugitive - any arguments with this??

I think Thaksin should come back and run the country...things were good when he was doing it...so what if he shafts the country along the way and pulls in a few wads for himself.

I lost 6million baht because they kicked him out and the ensuing financial issues and local economy stagnant for those years.

That's the problem on here though - the red shirt supporters/sympathisers on here resort to making things up, they think that anyone who is anti this government are big Dem supporters and avoid all of your questions when you ask them about the things that Thaksin has done and believe his excuses, like he was framed by his political enemies (if you're not guilty, then come back and face the crimes!!! Simple!) .

If Yingluck said the amnesty bill was done because it is the most Budhist thing to do and it will lead to World Peace; they will completely believe her and if we disagree, then we are anti-world peace. Take their excuses for the Bill which would lead to reconciliation and forgiveness, surely everyone can see that's just all complete fancy word Political brainwashing.

I think Thaksin should come back and run the country...things were good when he was doing it...so what if he shafts the country along the way and pulls in a few wads for himself.

I lost 6million baht because they kicked him out and the ensuing financial issues and local economy stagnant for those years.

Yeah, hell to everyone else. As long as you make a mint of it, that's all what matters ;)

• Like 1

It is not about corruption.

It is about ousting a democratically elected government and moving back to an undemocratic system as was called for by Suthep yesterday.

Get over your obsessions with Thaksin and see through the smoke and mirrors.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

These people, business people, educators, students etc are holding a peaceful protest against a puppet led, disgrace of a government. They are exercising their constitutional right to do so. As long as they remain peaceful, they should be supported by anyone who values democracy.

100% absolute garbage.

Whether we like the current government or not is irrelevant. This current administration was democratically elected by the people of Thailand. They knew the options available to them and voted accordingly. The aim of these protests is totally un-democratic.

Thailand is not, and NEVER will be a democracy. It is an elitist society, always will be. The ''little people'' will never have a voice here.

Check the definitions of democracy my friend..!!

• Like 2

I think the big problem here is that people are confusing bad policy and corruption with dictatorship. PT CAN pass bad policies because they were elected by a majority of Thais. To me it is frightening that the opposition's response to their repeated election losses is that Thais are not capable of making political decisions. Could it be that the majority of Thais, who contrary to what many seem to believe do not live in Bangkok, simply prefer Thaksin's form of politics over the equally corrupt and oppressive ways of the past? PT is well within its mandate to pass bad policies. If these policies fail, then the Thai people who voted for them will vote them out. The opposition's undemocratic practices are needlessly dividing the country and ensuring a PT majority for the foreseeable future.

Well, nearly a majority anyway.

Singapore papers are reporting 100K

100K for the red shirts at Rajamangala, or 100K for the anti-government.

If there are 100K at Rajamangala, that would mean it is 35K over capacity (seating). It would be 100% full including on the grass. No photos have shown anything like that.

I may have got my protests mixed up, it's so hard to keep track. The pic and 100K quote was for the march at the democracy monument.
For what it's worth; Straits times story here:

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/se-asia/story/bangkok-anti-government-rallies-set-spread-20131124

Thanks for clarifying that it is PAD, and not the red shirts, that have 100,000 protesters out.

Edited by myan

I know. I had money invested in Australia, and when Thaksin was kicked out I lost money because the whole global economy crashed.

Thaksin did wonders to the world economy. They should bring him back to fix it all.

/sarc

Not sure about Thai politics but what I can say is this.

1) Being a democratic country, you should only oust the government through elections. Protests not only disrupts daily activities of the country, losing parties will still be angry and perhaps another wave of protests and this will be a vicious cycle ie a change of government too often. I agree protesting is a human right but should not lead to sudden collapse of government.

2) Till date, I still think Thaksin remains the official PM since he is not voted out through elections but rather through a coup. This is no different from Egypt where riots and protests are still happening.

• Like 1

Well, nearly a majority anyway.

Yes to add, now ask the farmer (family) not the big money grabbing wigs that control rice, ask the people now if they have been cheated--ask the rubber people, have all the schools received their (Samsung note bookscheesy.gifcheesy.gif ) did the minister in charge of water not admit he got it wrong and did not release the dam water early enough---COMPETANT No No. this is why along with this pushed through bill Thais are seeing the problems they didn't see before --they believed the money rather than the good VOTE.

• Like 1

It is not about corruption.

It is about ousting a democratically elected government and moving back to an undemocratic system as was called for by Suthep yesterday.

Get over your obsessions with Thaksin and see through the smoke and mirrors.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

These people, business people, educators, students etc are holding a peaceful protest against a puppet led, disgrace of a government. They are exercising their constitutional right to do so. As long as they remain peaceful, they should be supported by anyone who values democracy.

100% absolute garbage.

Whether we like the current government or not is irrelevant. This current administration was democratically elected by the people of Thailand. They knew the options available to them and voted accordingly. The aim of these protests is totally un-democratic.

Thailand is not, and NEVER will be a democracy. It is an elitist society, always will be. The ''little people'' will never have a voice here.

Check the definitions of democracy my friend..!!

Democracy does not give the government rights to do what they want for their own personal gain as they are supposed to be accountable to the people (not 1 fugitive).

Democracy does not give the government the right to abuse their power and remove checks and balances and put into practice (an illegal one at that) something that gives them control of both the upper and lower houses of parliament through putting yes men, family members and PT sympathisers into place.

It is interesting that Pheu Thai admit that they may have alienated and lost 1 million of their supporters through their dishonest actions that have nothing to do with democracy. Perhaps, at last, these (less than educated people) are starting to see what they are doing and they won't have enough MP's to form a government the next time as their supporters withdraw that support!!!

Edited by SICHONSTEVE
  • Like 2