Huge marches in Bangkok today

webfact

Not sure about Thai politics but what I can say is this.

1) Being a democratic country, you should only oust the government through elections. Protests not only disrupts daily activities of the country, losing parties will still be angry and perhaps another wave of protests and this will be a vicious cycle ie a change of government too often. I agree protesting is a human right but should not lead to sudden collapse of government.

2) Till date, I still think Thaksin remains the official PM since he is not voted out through elections but rather through a coup. This is no different from Egypt where riots and protests are still happening.

Voting is not democracy.

Ruler should not follow the most vote, because elected people usually buy votes cheaply in North & North East as most people are not well educated (unlike the South).

Ruler should be selected from rich and famous people with good education (oversea, Eton, Oxford, etc), as they are smart people with the brain to run Thailand well.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the plan if they do get the government to step down?

there is no plan of course...just to get the power and fill their own pockets...that's they call "democracy". The one is as bad as the other. When I was in Vietnam last week, people were laughing about those stupid politicians here. When these politicians are fighting the Vietnamese develop their country and are in good competition already to Thailand. There is maybe a gap of only a few years....or months??

I think Thaksin should come back and run the country...things were good when he was doing it...so what if he shafts the country along the way and pulls in a few wads for himself.

I lost 6million baht because they kicked him out and the ensuing financial issues and local economy stagnant for those years.

I know. I had money invested in Australia, and when Thaksin was kicked out I lost money because the whole global economy crashed.

Thaksin did wonders to the world economy. They should bring him back to fix it all.

/sarc

What!! you mean like Thaksin's catastrophic rule of the last two years - tell me just one good thing that he has done in that time for the Thai people.

You know what, at the end of the day I have come to believe it might be a be a better option to have the real guy in command, instead of one of its family copycat or self branded clone. We we are going to live another 15 years of Thaksin branded politics, at least give us the whole shebang, not a mere Skype driven avatar.

Lets face it : the Democrats are too polite and clean looking to win an election any time soon in Thailand.

Read more

Interesting to see from the pic in that article that there are actually Samak fans.

redshirt_police.jpg?resize=450%2C297

Amazing red shirt Thailand. blink.png

/

Edited by myan

It is not about corruption.

It is about ousting a democratically elected government and moving back to an undemocratic system as was called for by Suthep yesterday.

Get over your obsessions with Thaksin and see through the smoke and mirrors.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

These people, business people, educators, students etc are holding a peaceful protest against a puppet led, disgrace of a government. They are exercising their constitutional right to do so. As long as they remain peaceful, they should be supported by anyone who values democracy.

100% absolute garbage.

Whether we like the current government or not is irrelevant. This current administration was democratically elected by the people of Thailand. They knew the options available to them and voted accordingly. The aim of these protests is totally un-democratic.

Thailand is not, and NEVER will be a democracy. It is an elitist society, always will be. The ''little people'' will never have a voice here.

Check the definitions of democracy my friend..!!

A lot of what you said is true. Though I disagree with bringing down the government through coups or protests, the main aim of these protests is to change how this Government is being run and that's totally democratic to do so. Some obviously want them out now but many gave them a chance and have seen their true colours.

A democratic government should be there running the country for the benefit of its people, not the benefit for one megalomaniac. And that's why people have had enough. If the government stops and listens and then changes their way then maybe, just maybe they will win some trust, but until pigs learn how to fly, I can't see that happening.

The "little people" also refers to all the families who work hard in Bangkok and other areas of the country, paying lots of tax, creating businesses and jobs and can see what this Government are doing and what effect this will have for them.

They deserve a voice too. And it's their voice we are hearing at the moment and democratically right too.

• Like 1

I think Thaksin should come back and run the country...things were good when he was doing it...so what if he shafts the country along the way and pulls in a few wads for himself.

I lost 6million baht because they kicked him out and the ensuing financial issues and local economy stagnant for those years.

I know. I had money invested in Australia, and when Thaksin was kicked out I lost money because the whole global economy crashed.

Thaksin did wonders to the world economy. They should bring him back to fix it all.

/sarc

What!! you mean like Thaksin's catastrophic rule of the last two years - tell me just one good thing that he has done in that time for the Thai people.

He's stayed away.

• Like 1

/sarc

He's stayed away.

Only because he is a convicted criminal!!

Who is running the show? Yingluck? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif.

It is not about corruption.

It is about ousting a democratically elected government and moving back to an undemocratic system as was called for by Suthep yesterday.

Get over your obsessions with Thaksin and see through the smoke and mirrors.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I do believe you are completely wrong here. It IS about corruption, and when you mention a democratically elected government it was common knowledge on the streets that the redshirts were being paid five times the amount that the opposition was paying. Now who would have that sort of money to throw around ?

He is running the country. Things were good everywhere during his period as Thailand's 'CEO'. Thailand's best recent financial management came during Korn's tenure when Thailand preformed well when all around others were going down the pan.

Sadly Thaksin has damaged the country badly with the rice fiasco and now wants to compound his error by putting the country into debt for decades with programmes that haven't even been thought through properly and that will do little for the Thai people.

Constitution?? What constitution?? Really? Has anyone read the history of Thailand politics from when the absolute monarchy ended? How can something be against something when the foundation was illegitimate anyway? Every new admin that comes it creates a "new" constitution set at keeping them in power.

Read the history, read this term's constitution. Ridiculous!

• Like 1

Exactly. Even if you hate the redshirts you have to admit that their goal in 2010 was an election. That's the last thing Suthep wants because he knows they would lose again. He is angling for another coup, either judicial or military.

If you were CEO of a company, no way I would work for you. With your work ethics every employee would be in jail before long.

• Like 1

Exactly. Even if you hate the redshirts you have to admit that their goal in 2010 was an election. That's the last thing Suthep wants because he knows they would lose again. He is angling for another coup, either judicial or military.

I think they would settle for a new election. And what is a judicial coup?

When the court disband a part because of fraud, vote buying or similar things, than there are just by elections for the banned MPs.

4km long queue between 5 and 10 lanes wide in places due to people not being allowed to travel to Bangkok at the Chonburi end of the tollway yesterday at 11am. Democracy in action.

Actually it was repainting the tollway lane markings in action.

wink.pngbiggrin.png

Not true. Why do they have to do the painting job on a Sunday with mass protest.

They can do the painting on other days when it is not so busy.

Best of luck, here's hoping to the end of The Convicted Criminals Governemnt

That would be very nice thing to happen since Suthep is also a convicted criminal that Thailand would be well rid of.

Oh really. When was Suthep convicted and what was he convicted of?

Of course he could join the ranks of the convicted criminal bail runner, Thaksin but Suthep wants to stay in Thailand, go to trial and have his day in court and accept the verdict.

The red shirts goal was to overthrow a democratically elected government.

• Like 2

Correct!!

All it take is some trouble making fake protester and a nervous inexperienced solider boy.

Misinterpret a balloon bust as a gun fire, and start empty the magazine onto an innocent crowd.

I hope it won't happen, but history repeat itself.

Remember the British incident in a North India (Sigh) Goldern temple? The Brit mean no harm at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jallianwala_Bagh_massacre

Where are the soldiers? Has the Army taken over?

I suspect that the Army can see that there will be a serious problem soon and they will steer clear as long as they can.

Now if you had said that about the police I would have believed you.

Correct.

A democratically elected government does not mean 100% elected.

In fact a democratically elected government should be 50% elected and 50% selected.

Election gets you popular guys (just like actors and singers etc)

Selection gets you clever guys (just like professor and CEO etc)

I'm trying to think of one good thing that the Shinawatre gov't has done for the Thai people.

Ummmm, ....still thinking.

Erm...... they gave us the most attractive female political leader after Yulia Tymoschenko and Benazir Bhutto....?

Well, the only thing thus far is they they took that alcoholic fool Chalerm out and sent him to the Ministry of Labour, where he may still run his mouth, but had to swallow as much pride as he does booze- and is now in less of a position to do more harm to the general public.

The vast majority of us predicted this very sort of outcome in 2010, didn't we? Except for a few on here who probably knew too, but just like to take the piss as a hobby pretending Thaksin actually did something honest to acquire unusual wealth.

Edited by gemini81

boomerangutang, on 25 Nov 2013 - 13:03, said:snapback.png

I'm trying to think of one good thing that the Shinawatre gov't has done for the Thai people.

Ummmm, ....still thinking.

Let me put you out of your misery. It was a bit of a trick question as there aren't any!!

Ah come on you lot be fair.

Did you not see that Yingluck has said that she is not worried about the censure debate because of the good performance of the Govt over the last 2 years.