Hi so language

thailiketoo

I saw that Neeranam was writing so waited ....... (not that I always agree -- but he has perspective)

1) There is no "Hi-So" Thai language hence my initial reaction coffee1.gif

2) There is proper Thai which quite simply is not spoken my most Thai people on a daily basis, and rarely spoken outside of Central Thailand except in schools and government offices and large businesses.

3)There are various dialects in Thai but they are just that .. dialects. There are also a couple of other vocabularies used in different circumstances.

4) If you think that just having some random person that speaks "proper Thai" --- apparently referred to as Hi-So Thai in the OP is going to help give you a leg up on situations, you are likely mistaken. That being said, having someone who has had both the benefit of a good education and the experience in dealing with people in an official capacity may actually smooth things over in some cases. Simply being able to speak properly in and of itself just doesn't cut it.

If the OP was trying to say something like "if you want to be taken seriously in situations when dealing with business, government etc it is best not to use the Thai equivalent of a "southern drawl" or cockney rhyming slang ... isn't that rather obvious?

(as a side note --- dialects in the US/UK/Canada? who cares! and the chances are if you know any real Hi-So Thai people you will most probably not be speaking Thai with them smile.png )

a southern drawl is an accent, nothing else. southerners are just as capable of using correct grammar as any other american.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

theyre both wrong

So there is an correct/official way?

smile.png

there is a big difference between grammar and dialect. your use of grammar was incorrect in both cases.

I think I did pretty good, consider I learned English at school.

I am still sure which of the 2 sentences would be a more proper way to speak.

theyre both wrong

So there is an correct/official way?

smile.png

there is a big difference between grammar and dialect. your use of grammar was incorrect in both cases.

I think I did pretty good, consider I learned English at school.

I am still sure which of the 2 sentences would be a more proper way to speak.

You did well enough to enable me me understand you but your grammar was incorrect in both of those sentences. The next two sentences you just wrote are also grammatically incorrect.

Thai people can tell where you from (family, area or society) by the way you speak or talk.

For example : I heard some women said here you go (In Thai "Ni Ngai") in a strong tone. That's really rude and sound bad to hear.

In the same way. Another lady said "NI Ngai" in a soft way. It can tell that she is from nice and educated family.

Hi-so or not Hi-so it's about mood and tone To be honest

I don't think they can.

Isn't talking the same as speaking?

Also, this isn't hi - so language. I doubt many here have actually met a real Thai Hi-so.

I think there is agreement among most Thais that Yingluck when she came to office did not speak Thai very well. Ask a Thai speaker to point out someone who does.

Her brother couldn't speak Thai very well too.

How does one define speaking well?

Some speak clearly with good enunciation but not necessarily formal words.

Some are experts in the 'Royal' language.

Is the best Thai Central Thai?

I guess it is just like South coast English is considered the best English. However where I come from we say 'farim' for 'farm' and they say 'faam' - I consider them wrong.

In NE Thailand there are many dialects different from Bangkok. For example, for "go home", Bankokonians say 'glab baan', in Khon Kaen they say 'mia baan', in Udon they say 'meua baan', in Korat, they say 'glab baan der' etc

Thai people can tell where you from (family, area or society) by the way you speak or talk.

For example : I heard some women said here you go (In Thai "Ni Ngai") in a strong tone. That's really rude and sound bad to hear.

In the same way. Another lady said "NI Ngai" in a soft way. It can tell that she is from nice and educated family.

Hi-so or not Hi-so it's about mood and tone… To be honest

Really?

One can determine where one is from, based upon the dialect?

Joke aside,

Most countries have a more proper or official way to speak, and then all the variations of dialects, slang, street talk, etc.

not if the countries are large. there is no official dialect in america or canada.

I wonder if this is because there is no monarchy (no local monarchy as far as Canada goes) - a revolving presidency from anywhere in the country can have any accent. In older countries where the was a monarchy - or ones where there still is - there seems to be a distinct "ideal" pronunciation and dialect (usually based on the address of the monarch - usually the capital). In the UK it is still referred to as "Queen's English", however, the Queen herself has made strides changing her accent over the years. Listen to recordings of her around the coronation and now. Sure, older, but also a distinct difference over time. Still perfect English, but less nasal an la-di-dah. A palace attempt to sound closer to the public. "BBC English" is another "perfect" English moniker - again this is historic: in the 50's (when the Beep came back after the war and TV had taken over from radio) presenters had to have a certain (what was assumed to be clear and educated) voice - this continued for many years - it was not a racial thing either, the first black TV news presenters (Barbara Blake Hannah [68] - Trevor McDonald [73]- Moira Stewart[81]) all had very BBC accents! Over time this was regionalised (as BBC was regionalised anyway) and now is actually fairly uncommon.

I saw that Neeranam was writing so waited ....... (not that I always agree -- but he has perspective)

2) There is proper Thai which quite simply is not spoken my most Thai people on a daily basis, and rarely spoken outside of Central Thailand except in schools and government offices and large businesses.

3)There are various dialects in Thai but they are just that .. dialects. There are also a couple of other vocabularies used in different circumstances.

4) If you think that just having some random person that speaks "proper Thai" --- apparently referred to as Hi-So Thai in the OP is going to help give you a leg up on situations, you are likely mistaken. That being said, having someone who has had both the benefit of a good education and the experience in dealing with people in an official capacity may actually smooth things over in some cases. Simply being able to speak properly in and of itself just doesn't cut it.

If the OP was trying to say something like "if you want to be taken seriously in situations when dealing with business, government etc it is best not to use the Thai equivalent of a "southern drawl" or cockney rhyming slang ... isn't that rather obvious?

(as a side note --- dialects in the US/UK/Canada? who cares! and the chances are if you know any real Hi-So Thai people you will most probably not be speaking Thai with them smile.png )

Of course there is a hi so language (but I will not post about it). Thais are very particular about language and the way you speak it. The great majority of people living in Thailand and posting on Thai Visa live in Central Thailand. That you don't know that Yingluck and in fact most other Thai TV people who speak poorly are made fun of by regular Thai people only serves to confirm your lack of knowledge of Thailand.

You want a test? OK. Ask any Thai if Yingluck speaks good Thai. Yingluck poot Thai di? A large number of Thais are miffed that the PM does not speak better Thai.

Really?

Joke aside,

Most countries have a more proper or official way to speak, and then all the variations of dialects, slang, street talk, etc.

not if the countries are large. there is no official dialect in america or canada.

I wonder if this is because there is no monarchy (no local monarchy as far as Canada goes) - a revolving presidency from anywhere in the country can have any accent. In older countries where the was a monarchy - or ones where there still is - there seems to be a distinct "ideal" pronunciation and dialect (usually based on the address of the monarch - usually the capital). In the UK it is still referred to as "Queen's English", however, the Queen herself has made strides changing her accent over the years. Listen to recordings of her around the coronation and now. Sure, older, but also a distinct difference over time. Still perfect English, but less nasal an la-di-dah. A palace attempt to sound closer to the public. "BBC English" is another "perfect" English moniker - again this is historic: in the 50's (when the Beep came back after the war and TV had taken over from radio) presenters had to have a certain (what was assumed to be clear and educated) voice - this continued for many years - it was not a racial thing either, the first black TV news presenters (Barbara Blake Hannah [68] - Trevor McDonald [73]- Moira Stewart[81]) all had very BBC accents! Over time this was regionalised (as BBC was regionalised anyway) and now is actually fairly uncommon.

quite possibly

In fear of getting a D-minus in English, I suggest we who do not has English as first language go over in "Viewing mode" in this thread.

wink.png

Anyone remember the scene in Austin Powers, where he is having a conversation with his father (Michael Caine), in English, but it has to be subtitled?

biggrin.png

Btw, what does "Taking a piss and eating faggots", mean?

Edited by Travel2003

coffee1.gif

Is it less a flame if you only post a dumb smiley? New rule eh?

coffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

Well a good afternoon to you my dear Mr Morakot. It is so nice of 1 to join us in this ever so fascinating glimpse into how one should be conversing.

Really?

Joke aside,

Didn't a few of the Kings come from Germany?

Whether one wants to admit it, it's the same back in Blighty.

Even for the untrained ear it'd be slim task separating posh from proletarian listening to, let's say, Stephen Fry and Eric Bristow.

I'd hate to think what they ('ole Blighty) think of we antipodeans when we get into song.

Hi-so or not Hi-so it's about mood and tone To be honest

I don't think they can.

Isn't talking the same as speaking?

Also, this isn't hi - so language. I doubt many here have actually met a real Thai Hi-so.

I guess he is refereeing to accent and pronunciation rather than Royal language, which the true upper echelons talk and a re talked to, in (which is I assume what you were referring to).

I've had the real pleasure of meeting and chatting with Princess Sirindhorn a couple of times (interestingly both times outside the country - once at the British Embassy in London where my wife played with her in the London Thai Classical Music Circle, and once at SOAS at a small gathering where she played again - very smart lady! ) - does she count as Hi-So?

• Like 2

You are right. They are quick to judge based on speech. Thais are funny seriously. I haven't figured it out yet that they do so because they have truly convinced themselves that it makes one superior if s/he speaks in a certain way and uses certain words and expressions or they just like to ridicule themselves for believing that one is better than the other because s/he tries to act like that. There is no such thing as high society anyway. There are only people who have a bit more money but have no idea how to use it to do good and until they learn it they are nothing. But on the other side it's cool. I mean every circus needs clowns.

Exactly.

'Hi So' is nothing but a state of mind that shepherds the easily led, the unenlightened and the stupid.

It's a meaningless word created for fools, just like 'discount'.

In fear of getting a D-minus in English, I suggest we who do not has English as first language go over in "Viewing mode" in this thread.

wink.png

Anyone remember the scene in Austin Powers, where he is having a conversation with his father (Michael Caine), in English, but it has to be subtitled?

biggrin.png

Btw, what does "Taking a piss and eating faggots", mean?

Depends of the area spoken and the class of the speakers. I think faggots are a bundle of sticks used for burning heretics. From the Latin facis.

... +1

Just ran out of likes!

Of course there is a hi so language (but I will not post about it). Thais are very particular about language and the way you speak it. The great majority of people living in Thailand and posting on Thai Visa live in Central Thailand. That you don't know that Yingluck and in fact most other Thai TV people who speak poorly are made fun of by regular Thai people only serves to confirm your lack of knowledge of Thailand.

You want a test? OK. Ask any Thai if Yingluck speaks good Thai. Yingluck poot Thai di? A large number of Thais are miffed that the PM does not speak better Thai.

That is not a question I would ever ask, since semantically it is quite vague. If I asked a question in Thai about her language skills it would be about if she was an effective public speaker and if her meanings were clear. I would assume that many people would answer those questions in the negative.

There is not a "Hi-So" language. Stating that there is one in now way changes the fact that there is not.Since "Hi-So Thai language" is the topic of the thread you started ... why won't you post about it?

I have no idea if your assertion regarding "the great majority of people living in Thailand..." is true or not, but where foreigners living in Thailand post from is not central to your other assertions in this thread.

regarding my "lack of knowledge about Thailand." ...... LOL-- please feel free to fill in any gaps in my knowledge that you perceive!

• Like 1

You want a test? OK. Ask any Thai if Yingluck speaks good Thai. Yingluck poot Thai di?

Sounds to me as if you are making a statement (with your, Yingluck poot Thai dee) rather than asking a question.

Never mind, its a moot point.

A large number of Thais are miffed that the PM does not speak better Thai.

Maybe she is astute enough to realise, you had better speak in a language that your target audience can understand.

I sat one night with a bunch of Thais as "Mark" was making a tv speech, its doubtful if 20/25% of those I sat with could understand the language being used, the others remarked something like, if he wants to appeal to us, why doesnt he speak our language?

You want a test? OK. Ask any Thai if Yingluck speaks good Thai. Yingluck poot Thai di?

Sounds to me as if you are making a statement (with your, Yingluck poot Thai dee) rather than asking a question.

Never mind, its a moot point.

A large number of Thais are miffed that the PM does not speak better Thai.

Maybe she is astute enough to realise, you had better speak in a language that your target audience can understand.

I sat one night with a bunch of Thais as "Mark" was making a tv speech, its doubtful if 20/25% of those I sat with could understand the language being used, the others remarked something like, if he wants to appeal to us, why doesnt he speak our language?

1. You are not supposed to bold my post so please remove that. ( 30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply,) 2. The Thai language is full of statements that ask a question. 3. I would suggest that the majority of Thais like the way Abhisit Vejjajiva speaks and don't cringe when they hear him as they do with less adept Thai speakers like Yingluck.

Edited by thailiketoo

wink.png

biggrin.png

Ask, and delivery is but a moment away ...

That is not a question I would ever ask, since semantically it is quite vague. If I asked a question in Thai about her language skills it would be about if she was an effective public speaker and if her meanings were clear. I would assume that many people would answer those questions in the negative.

There is not a "Hi-So" language. Stating that there is one in now way changes the fact that there is not.Since "Hi-So Thai language" is the topic of the thread you started ... why won't you post about it?

I have no idea if your assertion regarding "the great majority of people living in Thailand..." is true or not, but where foreigners living in Thailand post from is not central to your other assertions in this thread.

regarding my "lack of knowledge about Thailand." ...... LOL-- please feel free to fill in any gaps in my knowledge that you perceive!

Siamese Thai is composed of several distinct registers, forms for different social contexts:

• Street or common Thai (ภาษาพูด, spoken Thai): informal, without polite terms of address, as used between close relatives and friends.
  • Elegant or formal Thai (ภาษาเขียน, written Thai): official and written version, includes respectful terms of address; used in simplified form in newspapers.
  • Rhetorical Thai: used for public speaking.
  • Religious Thai: (heavily influenced by Sanskrit and Pāli) used when discussing Buddhism or addressing monks.
  • Royal Thai (ราชาศัพท์): (influenced by Khmer) used when addressing members of the royal family or describing their activities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_language

Read the above and see if you can find a hi so language there.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

@ Thailiketoo

You can suggest anything you like regarding how you think Thai people perceive Abhisit vs. Yingluck in speaking skills. You are making a common mistake. People often think that the experience of those around them represent that of the majority. This is quite often simply wrong. Ask the question in one group of people and you are very likely to get a different answer than from another group.

Is Abhisit a better public speaker? IMHO, yes, by far! Does that mean that many Thais do not see him as "aloof" or "speaking down to them"? No

BTW --- K. Yingluck's Thai is fine ... (again IMHO) ... she just sucks at public speaking.

Re your post 61 --- no there is no "Hi-So" Thai in there.

Edited by jdinasia

@ Thailiketoo

post 56 did not change anything inside of a quote. It is a separate post (that does not change any of your posts....

You can suggest anything you like regarding how you think Thai people perceive Abhisit vs. Yingluck in speaking skills. You are making a common mistake. People often think that the experience of those around them represent that of the majority. This is quite often simply wrong. Ask the question in one group of people and you are very likely to get a different answer than from another group.

Is Abhisit a better public speaker? IMHO, yes, by far! Does that mean that many Thais do not see him as "aloof" or "speaking down to them"? No

BTW --- K. Yingluck's Thai is fine ... (again IMHO) ... she just sucks at public speaking.

Re your post 61 --- no there is no "Hi-So" Thai in there.

So I can now change the font from normal to bold on your posts? Ya sure.

You don't think that Elegant or formal or Royal Thai means hi so? Ya sure

Yingluck's Thai is fine. Ya sure.