thailiketoo

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw that Neeranam was writing so waited ....... (not that I always agree -- but he has perspective)

1) There is no "Hi-So" Thai language hence my initial reaction coffee1.gif

2) There is proper Thai which quite simply is not spoken my most Thai people on a daily basis, and rarely spoken outside of Central Thailand except in schools and government offices and large businesses.

3)There are various dialects in Thai but they are just that .. dialects. There are also a couple of other vocabularies used in different circumstances.

4) If you think that just having some random person that speaks "proper Thai" --- apparently referred to as Hi-So Thai in the OP is going to help give you a leg up on situations, you are likely mistaken. That being said, having someone who has had both the benefit of a good education and the experience in dealing with people in an official capacity may actually smooth things over in some cases. Simply being able to speak properly in and of itself just doesn't cut it.

If the OP was trying to say something like "if you want to be taken seriously in situations when dealing with business, government etc it is best not to use the Thai equivalent of a "southern drawl" or cockney rhyming slang ... isn't that rather obvious?

(as a side note --- dialects in the US/UK/Canada? who cares! and the chances are if you know any real Hi-So Thai people you will most probably not be speaking Thai with them smile.png )

Of course there is a hi so language (but I will not post about it). Thais are very particular about language and the way you speak it. The great majority of people living in Thailand and posting on Thai Visa live in Central Thailand. That you don't know that Yingluck and in fact most other Thai TV people who speak poorly are made fun of by regular Thai people only serves to confirm your lack of knowledge of Thailand.

You want a test? OK. Ask any Thai if Yingluck speaks good Thai. Yingluck poot Thai di? A large number of Thais are miffed that the PM does not speak better Thai.

You want a test? OK. Ask any Thai if Yingluck speaks good Thai. Yingluck poot Thai di?

Sounds to me as if you are making a statement (with your, Yingluck poot Thai dee) rather than asking a question.

Never mind, its a moot point.

A large number of Thais are miffed that the PM does not speak better Thai.

Maybe she is astute enough to realise, you had better speak in a language that your target audience can understand.

I sat one night with a bunch of Thais as "Mark" was making a tv speech, its doubtful if 20/25% of those I sat with could understand the language being used, the others remarked something like, if he wants to appeal to us, why doesnt he speak our language?

1. You are not supposed to bold my post so please remove that. ( 30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply,) 2. The Thai language is full of statements that ask a question. 3. I would suggest that the majority of Thais like the way Abhisit Vejjajiva speaks and don't cringe when they hear him as they do with less adept Thai speakers like Yingluck.

Dont think I modified your post. Never mind.

I would suggest that the majority of Thais like the way Abhisit Vejjajiva speaks

Is he a good orator, answer yes.

Dont confuse the message with the means of conveying the message.

Personally I quite like listening to Nattiwhut in full rant mode, that man can sure work a crowd.

Not to say I agree with his message, or would ever attempt to use some of the language at the local immigration office

1) Inside my quote -- no you cannot. In a new post where you take something said and then respond to it? Yes you can.

2) No. Elegant or Royal Thai would not be "Hi-So" Thai since there is no "Hi-So" Thai. Formal Thai is used as I noted above,It is not used in conversation between members of the so-called "Hi-So" set.

Royal Thai is used when speaking of or to royalty. You can hear it used daily at 8pm. It has a different vocabulary.

3) Yes, Yingluck's Thai is fine. She just sucks as a public speaker. You are making the common mistake of assuming someone's ability at public speaking shows how well they master the language. Abhisit, after all was a head of a debating club in his Oxford years (newmandala/thaiintelligentnews)

There was an interesting series on Tv a while back called Hi-So baan nawk. Hi-sos from Bangkok going to Isarn and working in fields etc. Trying to find a clip but not yet.

It should be on this guy's youtube channel, looking now ... Woody Milintachinda

(My chihuahua is named moddam -- giving a small nod to K. ModDam from the show.

Thai people can tell where you from (family, area or society) by the way you speak or talk.

For example : I heard some women said here you go (In Thai "Ni Ngai") in a strong tone. That's really rude and sound bad to hear.

In the same way. Another lady said "NI Ngai" in a soft way. It can tell that she is from nice and educated family.

Hi-so or not Hi-so it's about mood and tone… To be honest

And the attention to detail on the speaker's grip on the machete in their right hand is a silent indicator as well..................sad.png

1) Inside my quote -- no you cannot. In a new post where you take something said and then respond to it? Yes you can.

2) No. Elegant or Royal Thai would not be "Hi-So" Thai since there is no "Hi-So" Thai. Formal Thai is used as I noted above,It is not used in conversation between members of the so-called "Hi-So" set.

Royal Thai is used when speaking of or to royalty. You can hear it used daily at 8pm. It has a different vocabulary.

3) Yes, Yingluck's Thai is fine. She just sucks as a public speaker. You are making the common mistake of assuming someone's ability at public speaking shows how well they master the language. Abhisit, after all was a head of a debating club in his Oxford years (newmandala/thaiintelligentnews)

You know the "flied lice" thing in English. The L and R thing. There are words in Thai that also require a rolled R. Yingluck can't roll her R's or doesn't roll them. She speaks like a lo so Northern farmer. There are enough news stories about it if you speak Thai. Ask the wife.

Edited by thailiketoo

coffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

Well a good afternoon to you my dear Mr Morakot. It is so nice of 1 to join us in this ever so fascinating glimpse into how one should be conversing.

My pleasure, dear chaps. Today I greeted my parking attendant, whom I briefly converse with twice a day, with my hi-so Thai. I formally acknowledged him with a pronounced elocution of Krup, Sawadee Krap, Khun Somchai! while casually flinging an item of my day-wear finery over my shoulder. He thought I had lost the plot. whistling.gif ... laugh.png

Edited by Morakot

I agree with what you say about there being no HiSo language but believe there are Hi So Thais.

I have 3 hi so friends.

There is no hi so Thai language. Out of my 3 friends, 2 speak better English than I. All 3 were educated in England, 2 of them from High school level, one from university. Two have 'royal' names but they are not royalty although their ancestors one or two generations ago were.

Funny as once one of them was translating Thai to English and English to Thai for a large group of people and she had to ask me what two words were in Thai. Also, she can't write Thai very well.

I think it would be very rare for a foreigner to actually be in the company of a 'hiso' and hear them speak Thai as they all speak English, many more comfortably than their Thai.

How to you tell if someone is hiso.

Generally, IMO, they are very 'poo dee dtin daeng dta kang dtin dern' which is kinda an insult.

poo dee = member of the privileged class ,aristocrat

dtin daeng = feet which are soft and pink because of never done any hard works before.

dta kang dtin dern = to walk with the side of feet because of disgust of the dirty ground .

They are usually members of RBSC.

Money is abundant and they have the top brand names.

They usually were schooled in England, although possibly the USA. Often it seems like the Nouveau riche Thai, of of Chinese ancestry goes to the USA to save money.

Edited by Neeranam

I agree with what you say about there being no HiSo language but believe there are Hi So Thais.

I have 3 hi so friends.

There is no hi so Thai language. Out of my 3 friends, 2 speak better English than I. All 3 were educated in England, 2 of them from High school level, one from university. Two have 'royal' names but they are not royalty although their ancestors one or two generations ago were.

Funny as once one of them was translating Thai to English and English to Thai for a large group of people and she had to ask me what two words were in Thai. Also, she can't write Thai very well.

I think it would be very rare for a foreigner to actually be in the company of a 'hiso' and hear them speak Thai as they all speak English, many more comfortably than their Thai.

Generally, IMO, they are very 'poo dee dtin daeng dta kang dtin dern' which is kinda an insult.

dtin daeng = feet which are soft and pink because of never done any hard works before.

dta kang dtin dern = to walk with the side of feet because of disgust of the dirty ground .

They usually were schooled in England, although possibly the USA. Often it seems like the Nouveau riche Thai, of of Chinese ancestry goes to the USA to save money.

If your friend is asking you for Thai vocabulary I agree she probably does not speak hi so Thai. Yingluck was educated in Kentucky and her Thai is not good. I would suggest looking for some Thais who were educated in Thailand. There is upward mobility in Thailand. It starts with language or language at least makes it a lot easier.

Same in the States. Do you think Obama would have been elected if he spoke like a rap singer?

It is probably too obscure but one of the reasons Al Smith was not elected President of the US was his NY accent.

I have 3 hi so friends.

If your friend is asking you for Thai vocabulary I agree she probably does not speak hi so Thai. Yingluck was educated in Kentucky and her Thai is not good. I would suggest looking for some Thais who were educated in Thailand. There is upward mobility in Thailand. It starts with language or language at least makes it a lot easier.

Same in the States. Do you think Obama would have been elected if he spoke like a rap singer?

It is probably too obscure but one of the reasons Al Smith was not elected President of the US was his NY accent.

I never knew she was educated in Kentucky.

Never heard of Al Smith, but I've never been to America. If I lived there, I'd learn the language and history probably.

Rather than calling it hi so the OP might have been better spoken to call it central or Bkk Thai which is associated with the educated Thai.

You are correct it was a marketing decision. Language is important in most countries as most countries still have a class system and language makes class identification quick and easy. How many Cockney PM have there been in the UK?

Language is one indicator of that Holy Grail of expats the, "Thai good girl."

not if the countries are large. there is no official dialect in america or canada.

I wonder if this is because there is no monarchy (no local monarchy as far as Canada goes) - a revolving presidency from anywhere in the country can have any accent. In older countries where the was a monarchy - or ones where there still is - there seems to be a distinct "ideal" pronunciation and dialect (usually based on the address of the monarch - usually the capital). In the UK it is still referred to as "Queen's English", however, the Queen herself has made strides changing her accent over the years. Listen to recordings of her around the coronation and now. Sure, older, but also a distinct difference over time. Still perfect English, but less nasal an la-di-dah. A palace attempt to sound closer to the public. "BBC English" is another "perfect" English moniker - again this is historic: in the 50's (when the Beep came back after the war and TV had taken over from radio) presenters had to have a certain (what was assumed to be clear and educated) voice - this continued for many years - it was not a racial thing either, the first black TV news presenters (Barbara Blake Hannah [68] - Trevor McDonald [73]- Moira Stewart[81]) all had very BBC accents! Over time this was regionalised (as BBC was regionalised anyway) and now is actually fairly uncommon.

Didn't a few of the Kings come from Germany?

European royal families are very intertwined. French, German and Russia were close family of Queen Victoria for example. It often happened that Royal assent came from another European country -- not only Britain, but all across Europe up to a century or so ago; this happens less in Europe now both because there are less royals and because royal have started marrying commoners. In fact if female succession had existed when Victoria died, there would never have been a first (and thus second) world war - because Willheim would have been on the British thrown!

In fear of getting a D-minus in English, I suggest we who do not has English as first language go over in "Viewing mode" in this thread.

wink.png

Anyone remember the scene in Austin Powers, where he is having a conversation with his father (Michael Caine), in English, but it has to be subtitled?

biggrin.png

Btw, what does "Taking a piss and eating faggots", mean?

Depends of the area spoken and the class of the speakers. I think faggots are a bundle of sticks used for burning heretics. From the Latin facis.

In British English "Faggots" are meat balls, and "taking the piss" means to tease/wind up/take the mickey/etc. To be "Pissed" mean drunk (although the American usage has also been adopted - context tells).

In American English "Faggot" is a derogatory term for a gay male. to be "Pissed" means upset

Rather than calling it hi so the OP might have been better spoken to call it central or Bkk Thai which is associated with the educated Thai.

You are correct it was a marketing decision. Language is important in most countries as most countries still have a class system and language makes class identification quick and easy. How many Cockney PM have there been in the UK?

Language is one indicator of that Holy Grail of expats the, "Thai good girl."

Well, being pedantic, to be a cockney one has to be born in the sound of Bow Bells (so that's just one hospital - Bankcroft Rd) - and the whole area is pretty much ethnic these days -- since the late 70s really when Labour, in their infinite wisdom, decided that the masses of Bangladeshi people they were bringing in to work in transport and unskilled civil service, should be placed together. Thereby creating a ghetto rather than spreading them out so they could integrate like had been done with the West Indies folk in the 50s and 60s.

However, your point is well taken. There have been some secondary modern PMs (I think John Major, who's dad was in his mid 60s at his birth and a music hall performer - and Thatcher herself had a father that was a grocer and she was brought up in a tiny flat above his shop - she worked very hard to acquire the plumb in her mouth). Blair was a Scotish public (that mean private in the UK) school boy - as was Cameron.

I think before the 70s few could afford to be in politics unless they came from wealthy families - now its money for old rope!

I think dress and demeanour is a better "tell" for us expats wrt Thai ladies - and of course job.

Edited by wolf5370