Retirement, I think, but leave the door open to teaching...

I have tried to discern the information through other posts, but still feel uncertain.

1. I am 55 and recently retired in the U.S. (California). My initial thought was to relocate to Thailand for a few years on a "Retirement Visa." I would like to study Thai language and could, I suppose, alternately come to visit on an "ED Visa."

2. Neither of those Visas allows for any type of employment, however, and part time employment as a teacher would be good for me - I think. Teaching would help to engage me in community, while providing some modest financial support. I realize that I'm not a hot commodity at age 55, but may have some success anyway.

In any event:

• I don't believe I can get a non-immigrant visa, while still here in the U.S., that permits employment in Thailand, unless I have an offer-in-hand. True?
  • I won't be able to easily acquire a job while still in the U.S. So far as I can tell, it is something I should best pursue- in person - after I arrive.
  • Even if I were to find a job opportunity in Thailand, I don't see any path from Retirement and/or ED Visa to employment.

3. An alternate strategy would be to come to Thailand first on a 90-day "Tourist Visa" and see what unfolds. If work looks promising, I could try to change my Visa status from tourist to non-immigrant, while in Thailand (if I received a job offer). .

4. If I don't receive a job offer or work seems to be over-complicating things, I could instead apply for a Retirement Visa and abandon the thought of employment.

What am I missing gents? What else should I be considering?

Background: I'm divorced and the kids are on their own. Relocation for several years will be a bold adventure and save me money as well. I've been to Thailand previously, for two 3-week visits. If I don't care for it over a longer period of time, and want to come home, the kids say they'll take me back.

en → en
tourist

- True, you would need to find an employer first.

- you could come on a non-O visa straight away and if you find a job apply for a non-B visa abroad. If you don't find a job, stay on your non-o visa and apply for an extension based on retirement.

Two short holidays is completely different from actually living in Thailand. So don't burn your bridges, but give it a try and see if it really I something you want. Good two know you can fall back on your children.

• Like 1

I am also a Californian, and went through the same thought process as you. I ended up applying for a retirement visa here in California, for the main reason that I did not have to bring the 800,000 baht over right away - it gave me time to decide how long I could live in Thailand, what would I do, etc.

As to your number 4, keep in mind that if you apply for a retirement visa in Thailand, I believe you need to bring the 800,000 baht over right away (or maybe you qualify for the 65,000 baht per month income method). If you apply in California you have a year (or sometimes more) to bring it over.

In my case I am really glad I did not apply for a retirement visa in Thailand and move the 800,000 baht over there. As Mario said, holidays in Thailand are a lot different than living there. After about 6 visits there (some as long as 6 weeks) I decided I did not want to spend more than a month or so at a time there. I am really glad I did not move the 800,000 baht over there (particularly given the current political situation). Just something else for you to consider.

Good luck.

Edited by californiabeachboy
  • Like 1

Your option ·#3 is probably best -- you can convert from the tourist visa to whatever you need according to how things pan out for you. Remember that for retirement status you do not need 800k in the bank at all if you use the income method -- much simpler in my opinion, you don't even need a Thai bank account.

Note -- bring original documents to prove your qualifications and your retired status. Along with financial information I had to show the original letter from my government saying that I am on a pension. Bear in mind that different immigration offices within Thailand apply the rules slightly differently, but the basics are the same -- go armed with lots of copies of everything. There's usually a copy service in/near the office, but it can be a bit busy.

Good luck and have fun. Go travelling all over Thailand -- the different areas are very different smile.png

Edit---

You might want to check out this thread about proof of income letters -- if you decide to do that...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/684045-american-embassy-income-letter/

Edited by jpinx
  • Like 1

Thank you for the thoughtful replies. Those are helpful insights. I might well arrive and decide to return home after a couple of months. It's good to have an exit strategy.

I do qualify under the pension provision, but saw in the link provided by jpinx that it's good to bring several forms of proof along - just in case. I have a letter from the Public Employee Retirement System, but can also offer bank statements showing regular direct deposits.

I appreciate the notes of encouragement. There seems to be no harm in giving it a try. My lease is up soon and I would need to downsize anyway. The kids are busy with their lives and I don't have much else on my plate until one of them makes me a Grandpa. I could try to score a part-time job at Walmart, but an adventure in Thailand just sounds like more fun.

Don't forget to bring evidence of your teaching qualification with you also. It will save you from having to convince people that you actually know how to teach and that you're not just relying on the last resort of the desperate to get an income by foisting yourself on some unfortunate Thais trying to learn English.

• Like 1