Power Cable

212traders

I have been having problem with the multi-plugs I bought in Thailand. They tend to short out or heat up. Where can I buy quality multi-plugs? Also, where can I buy quality extension cords (at least 15 meters)? Can 110V extension cords (from US) be used here as 220V extension cords?

Ignore the above post!!

Yes, you can use 120vac extension cords to carry 220vac. They are just that, extension cords. They have a plug on one end and a socket on the other. There is no power supply in an 'extension cord" so it doesn't matter, it's just a wire between the plug and the outlet.

But don't plug your 110vac appliance into a 220vac socket unless you first check that it's power supply will accept a 220vac input, otherwise a big puff of smoke! Many power supplies are universal and will accept anything between 100vac and 240vac, 50/60hz.

Extension cord: A 110 Volt extension cord can be used in Thailand with 220 Volt, because the current through the wires is half the current with 110V. Standard laws of electricity.

As stated above take care with units you want to connect to 220 Volts...

This reminds me of a visit from an American girlfriend when I was living in the UK. One day she plugged in her curlers, 5 minutes later....just melted plastic.

Anyway, my 2-penneth. The general extension multiplugs you buy in Tesco, BigC, etc are a liability due to their poor sockets and cheap plastics. On the other hand I have purchased a couple of the exceptional Elektra multi-plugs from HomePro. Sure they are expensive but I have my electric oven, coffee machine, microwave and a light on one of these and the worst that happened (oven on for 3 hours) is that it tripped. A short while later it had cooled down and happily carried on. Sure, they aren't cheap, but they are still standing up after 2+ years so they are value for money. They also have universal sockets so are just awesome for us expats.

Ignore the above post!!

Yes, you can use 120vac extension cords to carry 220vac. They are just that, extension cords. They have a plug on one end and a socket on the other. There is no power supply in an 'extension cord" so it doesn't matter, it's just a wire between the plug and the outlet.

But don't plug your 110vac appliance into a 220vac socket unless you first check that it's power supply will accept a 220vac input, otherwise a big puff of smoke! Many power supplies are universal and will accept anything between 100vac and 240vac, 50/60hz.

By the way, have you make your own extension cord in Thailand? What type of cable do you suggest? Is it cost effective to make it yourself?

As usual - Crossy is on the ball !!!

Had good luck with Toshino - use their surge protectors. Had the neighbor try to steel power, voltage went thru the roof, floor fan ran amuk, darn near took off across the room it was spinning so fast, no damage to computer, tv, stereo, all protected by Toshino.

I buy some very good extension cords at Home Pro. I don't know the name, but they are grey in color and have good quality moulded plugs and sockets.

But choose causiously, as some are US style 3 prong plugs, while others are Thai style round 2 prong. The sockets are all multi prong style.

They come in a variety of lengths.

The 220V cords here look suspiciously slim when you are used to 110V in USA. But the wire gauge (thickness) required for safe transmission is determined by the amperage, so remembering that V x A = W your appliance eg. fan will be happy with slimmer cord to draw the required watts. Also consider that wire resistance increases with distance so a long extension cord by necessity should be thicker, such as the orange and/or red ones you can find in the larger hardware stores.

What I would like to find is a source for extension cord wire. (2.5mm x3) with the nice flexible sheath. I had a place that carried it and I should have bought all they had, because now it's gone and they don't even know what I am talking about.

I also would like to get the same cable. Let me know if you ever find the source.

Thanks.

A 110v extension cable should almost always be useable for 220v. One of the main advantages to 220v is you can use thinner wiring to carry a given amount of current that you could at 110v. I'm so used to the beefy copper lines we use back in the US, that everything here looks undersized to me. If you lookup the wire-gauge requirements though, they are all much thinner for carrying 220 at a given amperage than we are accustomed to at 110.

What I would like to find is a source for extension cord wire. (2.5mm x3) with the nice flexible sheath. I had a place that carried it and I should have bought all they had, because now it's gone and they don't even know what I am talking about.

I also would like to get the same cable. Let me know if you ever find the source.

Thanks.

I bought a roll of 2.5mm x 3 stranded with the heavy black flexible outer cover and made my own extension cords. I think that there was 250 meters on the roll. I bought it at the small electrical shop in the town near where I live, but she had to order it. She stocks the 2.5mm x 2 but not the 3 wire as no one uses it. No one where I live has grounded sockets and they just break off the ground pin on the plug when they buy appliances with it. When sonone borrows my extension cords I have to make sure that I give them a two pin adapter otherwise it would be missing the ground pin when I had to go get it back because they don't seem to ever return anything.

• Like 1

Thanks.

I have been looking for it for a year, but in a strange coincidence, about 5 hours after I posted that I found it at the new Home Pro in Chiang Rai; 92 baht a meter though. At that price it is cheaper to buy the fancy spool type extensions. Unless you just want a few meters.

Edited by canuckamuck