US State Department issues travel warning to its citizens: Bangkok

webfact

US State Department issues travel warning to its citizens

11-26-2013-9-12-16-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The US State Department yesterday warned its citizens on their travels to or residing in Bangkok to avoid areas of demonstrations and exercise caution as the current peaceful protests now in the capital could escalate into violence.

In its warning, the State Department said domestic political activists in Thailand are holding large demonstrations at several sites throughout Bangkok, including at several government complexes. These demonstrations may continue throughout the week.

In consideration of these activities, the Thai government has increased the police presence around government buildings and in other locations. Demonstrators moving around the city may cause significant traffic delays.

It said even demonstrations that are meant to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.

It advised its citizens to avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/us-state-department-issues-travel-warning-citizens/

-- Thai PBS 2013-11-26

• Like 1

Better to err on the side of caution, but it does seem like the situation is escalating. Maybe time for a trip outside of Thailand for a while.

45 minutes from the Laos Border... Staying put in Udon, but my gal is flying into Bangkok in 6 days (Don Mueang). She had her tickets since last month. I sure am worried about traffic..but she is staying close to Don Mueang. Prison visit for a relative. Flies in at 10am and leaves by 5pm.

Should we cancel ???? It is a twice a year deal where she gets to hug her daughter in the prison.

Better to err on the side of caution, but it does seem like the situation is escalating. Maybe time for a trip outside of Thailand for a while.

45 minutes from the Laos Border... Staying put in Udon, but my gal is flying into Bangkok in 6 days (Don Mueang). She had her tickets since last month. I sure am worried about traffic..but she is staying close to Don Mueang. Prison visit for a relative. Flies in at 10am and leaves by 5pm.

Should we cancel ???? It is a twice a year deal where she gets to hug her daughter in the prison.

are u f.... serious???

What do you think is going on down here in Bangkok?

There's two huge groups of people gathered, one group at Democracy Monument area and the other group at Rajamangala Stadium. There's a lot of whistling, shouting, music and a party atmosphere and so far very little violence, maybe a few scuffles.

Meanwhile inside parliament the two sides are having at each other verbally. So nothing to worry about, I hope your GF has a good day at the pen. Nowhere near the demonstrations.

• Like 2

I have lived here through the yellow shirt closure of Suvarnabhumi, the red shirt razing of central world and the 2011 floods. For foreigners who don't get involved the demonstrations are an inconvenience, but the Thais seem to accept they are nothing to do with us and life goes on. The floods were the biggest problem.

Keep away from the areas where major demo0nstrations are being held, refrain from wearing too much red or yellow and you should be just fine.

• Like 1

If they shut the airport there is allways the bus. Unless you actually go to the areas where there are demonstrations there should be little risk. It is unlikly the demonstrators will occupy a prison now or later.

Your wife's daughter still deserves a hug from her mum and her mum deserves two from her.